Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concern for jobs at Bausch & Lomb

• 03-03-2009 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭

meldrew wrote: »
    Bausch and Lomb are having an "information meeting " tomorrow in the canteen for employees , hopefully its not bad news

Concern for jobs at Bausch & Lomb
    Tuesday, 3 March 2009 11:41
    Job losses are expected to be announced tomorrow at Bausch & Lomb in Waterford city.

Management at the US-owned multinational, which makes eye care products, plans to meet all employees tomorrow to update them on developments in the business.

The company says it will brief other stakeholders and the media when it has communicated with all employees.

AdvertisementBausch & Lomb put most of its 1,400 employees on short-time working at the end of January.

It is believed that between 150 and 200 redundancies are going to be sought by management, with packages and proposals on voluntary severance being put to staff over the coming weeks.

Union representatives are due to meet at lunchtime tomorrow.

Most staff are currently working three weeks out of every four as part of the short-time working arrangements.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

These are hard times, my thoughts and hopes go to those that are affect by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sfmonet

My partner works there, this is just so stressful for us as a family...:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Split into new topic to avoid confusion.

Bare in mind what happened with the last thread. When posting double check what you are saying and you are happy to go with it as we had a lot of people asking to delete posts from the old thread after they posted! Also, over speculation in the last thread resulted in complaints so if we can avoid that and stick to news reports only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Just announced on RTE that management are seeking 195 redundancies.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0304/bauschlomb.html

Meanwhile our beloved Minister wastes another 6k on tax payers money. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Does this mean that the remaining workers will go back on full-time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Partizan wrote: »
    Meanwhile our beloved Minister wastes another 6k on tax payers money. :rolleyes:

Which is a separate issue and that money wouldn't help Bausch & Lomb jobs either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Unless you where coming up on retirment who would really take a redundancy in this climate?

I can't see many of them going for it TBH, unless they are crazy generous. It's sad to see B&L if they do go they have alot of history in waterford and yet again many other smaller companies who rely on their business are going to be effected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Call me a cynic, but is this where multinationals see their chance to streamline in more costly economies and start to Axe costs/staff etc when really they don't really need to but do it to start making plans to move to Asia or Eastern Europe or the like?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Which is a separate issue and that money wouldn't help Bausch & Lomb jobs either way

No it isnt a seperate issue. It highlights this current government's indifference to the plight of of ordinary workers who are either losing their jobs or funding the extravagant spending of our cossetted political classes.

Remember than on the eve on French Revolution, the French aristocracy were holding lavish balls while the peasantry were starving. When plight of the masses was brought to Marie Antoinette's, the Austrian born queen issued the famous "let them eat cake" remark.

Ireland of March 2009 and France of March 1789 are strikingly similar. A collapsing economy, dwindling revenues and an upper class totally aloof. Something tells me that we are one Marie Antoinette remark away from sparking full scale civil unrest if things get worse.

Its going to be a long hot summer.

gscully wrote: »
    Does this mean that the remaining workers will go back on full-time?

No, the workers are still on short time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭bullpost

Anyone know what they're offering as part of the redundancy package?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

No we're not told

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Something tells me that we are one Marie Antoinette remark away from sparking full scale civil unrest if things get worse.

Yes, I can see it now in true Boards style Cowen is questioned on a Bankers Bonus and he responds:

"Your'e Ma" :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Politics to the Politics forum. Minister Cullens spending on choppers wouldn't help B&L.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sfmonet

Remember than on the eve on French Revolution, the French aristocracy were holding lavish balls while the peasantry were starving. When plight of the masses was brought to Marie Antoinette's, the Austrian born queen issued the famous "let them eat cake" remark.

Sorry had to comment on this for a couple of reasons. My daughter just got done doing a project on Marie Antoinette (and I didn't know this either at the time). Marie Antoinette in fact did not make the "let them eat cake" statement. This was actually said 100 years earlier by Marie-Therese, the wife of Louis XIV. The actual translation is from the word brioche which is a type of bread. So you learn something everyday.

Now, for the B&L. My partner works there and it has directly affected our family with the short time and moreso should he be one of the 200 or so. However, I honestly believe that this is a global problem, not only brought on by the governments, but by ourselves as well. Let's be honest, when times are good we spend and enjoy life and when things are bad (some not all) would rather point blame than take blame.

I would like to think we've come along way from the guillotine, however human nature is to fight and survive. We are in the 21st century and Ireland (and every other country on this planet) is a part of that. Looking back to 1789 isn't the key to mistakes being made now, etc..

Now you can chop off my head for my opinion, not trying to step on any toes, but as a family that's right on the thick of this, we need to see how to strategize on the future, say what's happened is happened it can't be changed from yesterday and move onto tomorrow and what we can change then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

im sure there may be women working out there that have maybe 2-3 kids and a decent redundancy payment might just suit them to take it and look after their kids , i presonally know one or two who are gonna apply for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

No it isnt a seperate issue. It highlights this current government's indifference to the plight of of ordinary workers who are either losing their jobs or funding the extravagant spending of our cossetted political classes.

Ireland of March 2009 and France of March 1789 are strikingly similar. A collapsing economy, dwindling revenues and an upper class totally aloof. Something tells me that we are one Marie Antoinette remark away from sparking full scale civil unrest if things get worse.

Have to agree there!

Cullen wastes €6k on a helicopter trip which is about 2 people's pension levy for those public sector employees that have to cough up in the next few weeks!

This is the madness that permeates our so called government. They are not leading by example. They take more in unvouched expenses than most people earn in PAYE then get their salary on top of this.

There are state cars, junior ministers, and enough wastage to wipe out our problems!

Rant over - now my thoughts are with those B&L employees who face redundancy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

sfmonet wrote: »
    Do you work at B&L Partizan? Rumours are really terrible unless you know something the employees don't.

If the company announces it is seeking 195 redundancies then that is the number. If they get 150 applications then it would follow that they will then apply compulsory redundancy to another 45!

There may be some merit in Partizan's thought process - a few weeks ago the company sought 20 redundancies. Then they put the entire workforce on short time and now they are seeking 195 more redundancies.

This is a little like the government - €2 billion cutbacks required, budget brought forward to last October. Then things get worse and more cutbacks announced.

Government says eveything is on track now - big kick ass Ard Fheis to rally the troops. Cowen says on Sunday night everything is on track and by Tuesday we are told of supplementary budget, more cutbacks and the pain gets worse.

I hope Partizan is wrong about the dismantling of B&L - a lot like Dell, the implications go far beyond 1400 employees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Thats pure speculation you're only doing the management's job for them by spreading rumours and frightening people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Never mind civil unrest, after every depression or recession there was a war. If the recession was global, then there was a world war.

But back on topic, what function did those jobs involve? If they involved hiring native third-level educated people, then they should be by all means protected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

meldrew wrote: »
    Thats pure speculation you're only doing the management's job for them by spreading rumours and frightening people

Agreed, it would be handy if he worked there and knew the ins and outs of the factory but it's pretty obvious he doesn't know a single thing about it.

Ill give one more reminder and after that bans/infractions will be issued. Its very unfair on staff working there when people post up on forums spreading rumours and adding to the speculation. It makes staff worried and increases pressure on management who are getting hassled about it.

Unless the information is factual and is out in the public domain by a credible source, then do not post speculation or rumours.

If you have any issues with a post, report it or contact one of the mods. Already we have received complaints about the speculation in this thread despite my earlier post asking people to stop with the speculation and keep general politics (including suggestions of a civil war) out of this forum.

Back on topic please. Thanks.

(Topic Cleaned)

Advertisement