Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blatter backs Republic's stance

• 03-03-2009 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Fifa president Sepp Blatter is reported to have sided with the Republic of Ireland in the player eligibility row with Northern Ireland.
    The Irish FA thought they had secured a ruling preventing players from Northern Ireland opting for the Republic.
    But Blatter has said that if a player from the north had an Irish passport he could choose to play for the Republic.
    The Irish FA, the governing body in Northern Ireland, said it would be seeking clarification from Fifa.
    They felt Fifa had ruled that to qualify to play for a country a player had to be born there, have a parent or grandparent born there, or have lived there continuously for two years.
    But Blatter told the Sunday Life newspaper: "As the Fifa legal committee understood the issue, the situation in Northern Ireland is such that all Northern Irish players could opt to play for both Association teams, given that they have a birthright to an Irish passport.
    "Ireland is an exceptional case because of the political situation."
    The Fifa chief was in Northern Ireland for the International FA Board meeting being held in Newcastle, County Down.
    A definite verdict on the thorny issue is expected to be taken by Fifa's executive committee on 20 March.
    If Blatter's view is confirmed it will be a blow to the to the Irish FA.
    They invest heavily in grassroots development and are worried that the Republic could cherry pick some of the best emerging players.
    Gary McAllister, Chairman of the Amalgamation of Northern Ireland Supporters' Clubs told the BBC that players born within Northern Ireland should play for the country of their birth.
    "My concern would be that this would give the FAI an unfair advantage over every other team in international football as they would be the only nation who could pick players from another jurisdiction.
    "I don't want to see a situation where a Northern Ireland team is representative of only one section of the community.
    "I want a Northern Ireland team made up of the best players players from both sections of the community."
    Former Lord Mayor of Belfast Jim Rodgers said that any ruling allowing players born in Northern Ireland to play for the Republic would be "grossly unfair".
    "Politics should never be brought into sport and if Mr Blatter's sentiments are expressed in the ruling, that would put Northern Ireland at a strong disadvantage.
    "The ruling would only work one way and would not allow players born in the Republic to play for Northern Ireland."
    North Antrim Sinn Fein MLA Daithi McKay disagreed, saying that "many tens of thousands of people in the North support the southern-based team".
    "It is the birthright of anyone who has an Irish passport to play for an Irish team.
    "If a player does not want to play for a team, they should be able to play for the team for which they have an allegiance.
    "It is about freedom of choice and politicians should not force players to play for teams against their will. "I adhere to the Irish soccer team based in Dublin but would not force that allegiance on anyone else."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7917738.stm

I wonder will the IFA finally accept it now having being told previously that players born in the North were eligible for an Irish passport under the Good Friday Agreement and therefore eligible to play for what they regard as their home country.

Comments

Will Southern born players be able to play for NI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Papa Smut wrote: »

No unless they have a relative from the north with a British passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Irish passport holders should have the right to play for the team but it's hard to know whether Blatter will stick with this position. They need to sort it out once and for all though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Simple solution, put them all together and have one team like Rugby. It would be great to have all Irish players on one team. I don't see why we have two teams anyways. Maybe the Northern Ireland FA members who join up could sort out the FAI.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

if Blatters view is confirmed Northern Ireland imo will never have a better team than the Republic (not that they have now or anything). We will be able to pick our players aswell as players born in the north and even some of those that would still have an allegiance to Northern Ireland and consider themselves British would consider playing for Ireland (as many non-irish players did previously through the granny rule) as they would have a better chance of success and playing in major tournaments with the Republic.

As someone from and who supports the Rep of Ireland id be happy if this became the case but this will be a disaster for Northern Irish football.

Re: the All Ireland team: id love to have Evans to partner Dunne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Blatter once again likes to make everyone's life difficult. He should never be let offer his own opinion publicy for a situation like the above.

from the discussions we had here before on this issue, by the sounds of it if FIFA rule in favour of the FAI in march they may well have to back this up with an explicit change of the rules to handle our 'exceptional case' with the GFA as the IFA do have the letter of the law on their side as the current rules stand. But that in turn opens the floodgates for more 'exceptional cases' which FIFA avoid like the plague (and rightly so I guess, although this attitude does cause plenty of problems with national governments being practically powerless in the face of corruption within national FAs).

despite me leanings towards the ability to choose, methinks this will swing back in favour of the IFA by the time it has played out fully.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Simple solution, put them all together and have one team like Rugby. It would be great to have all Irish players on one team. I don't see why we have two teams anyways. Maybe the Northern Ireland FA members who join up could sort out the FAI.

N.I. football is still entrenched with hardcore loyalists at all levels of the game. this is not possible still, and wont be for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think Irish passport holders should have the right to play for the team .

The governmnt can give a passport to anyone is chooses though.

Is that not exactly what everyone moans about with the "plastics"?

One of the leagues would have to be abolished though.

Who chooses which one? who gives up their headquarters and joins with the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Papa Smut wrote: »

if theyre eligible for a norn iron passport of course they will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Helix wrote: »

Yeah, but the IFA know that while Catholic Nordies would probably choose the Republic over their own team, the likelihood of the opposite happening is quite low.

A governent can shoose anyone to be eligable for a passport by just giving them one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stekelly wrote: »
    The governmnt can give a passport to anyone is chooses though.

Is that not exactly what everyone moans about with the "plastics"?

One of the leagues would have to be abolished though.

Who chooses which one? who gives up their headquarters and joins with the other?
    Abolish both and start a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

A governent can shoose anyone to be eligable for a passport by just giving them one though.

yeah but lets be honest, protocol is generally followed

Abolish both and start a new one.

Thats easy to say but who runs it? Which teams are in it?
    Where is the HQ?

You'd need the agreement of both to abolish them and start again.

yeah but lets be honest, protocol is generally followed

Generally, but why bother when we can sign a load of Brazilians and win the WC?

It's just club football with out transfers if the gentlemans agreement side isnt adhered to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Re: the All Ireland team: id love to have Evans to partner Dunne
    Yep, I like what I've seen of Evans so far, that would be a nice central partnership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Who really cares about this mans opinion to be honest? He is always harping on about something he doesn't like that he wants changed, and nothing ever happens because he hasn't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Never thought I would say this but Blatter is correct here and the Northern Irish FA are trying to pick a fight they cannot win here. If they have a bone to pick here then it should be with the English in all honesty and thats not being sarcastic as they effectively brought this about.

EDIT: Best solution in my opinion is an all-Ireland team much like how the rugby works. One cant argue the benefits out weigh the negatives here. It would give us a better chance of qualification for tournaments and a better showing in them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If the passport is the key to eligibility, what's to stop Northern Ireland picking a load of England/Scotland/Wales players who are just outside the reckoning for their 'national' sides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

If a Norn Iron player wants to play for the Republic badly enough what can they do? apart from deprive a player of an international future! did they honestly think if they'd won the Gibson case he'd have packed his bags and gone to play for them :rolleyes: ,,I should coco, not!

dogpile wrote: »
    If a Norn Iron player wants to play for the Republic badly enough what can they do? !

If Messi wants to play for us bad enough, should he be allowed too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If Messi wants to play for us bad enough, should he be allowed too?

We can all dream brother. Might not be as far fetched as you think as there is about 500,000 Irish descendants in Argentina believe it or not.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Argentine

Edit: Think the first admiral of the Argentine Navy was an Irishman back in the day.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    We can all dream brother. Might not be as far fetched as you think as there is about 500,000 Irish descendants in Argentina believe it or not.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Argentine

Not really the road we want to go down though (football in general I mean). Countries will start offering a million or 2 to young players to declare for them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Not really the road we want to go down though (football in general I mean). Countries will start offering a million or 2 to young players to declare for them.

Harry Redknapp International football manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

redout wrote: »

Edit: Think the first admiral of the Argentine Navy was an Irishman back in the day.

Di Stefano had an Irish grandparent and could have played for Ireland, sure jaysus he played for everyone else so why not us!

Che Guevara was another with Irish connections, don't know how he was at his football but he'd have been a handy man to have in the "Love Ulster" riots :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

If the passport is the key to eligibility, what's to stop Northern Ireland picking a load of England/Scotland/Wales players who are just outside the reckoning for their 'national' sides?
    Gentleman's agreement exists between all the Home Nations that prevents them doing so.

That's why Manuel Almunia can't play for England. Basically, you can gain UK residency, but not 'footballing citizenship' of any home nation.

And Channel Islanders get to choose which country to play for I think.
    dogpile wrote: »
    Di Stefano had an Irish grandparent and could have played for Ireland, sure jaysus he played for everyone else so why not us!

Che Guevara was another with Irish connections, don't know how he was at his football but he'd have been a handy man to have in the "Love Ulster" riots :D

He was a well known rugby player.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

ULSTER SAYS NOOO!

Or obviously not in this case. The people had a choice then, and they chose to accept the agreement. Gibson took the Irish passport because he considers himself Irish as the Agreement entitles him to it.

Therefore, he should be entitled to play for either the Republic or the Six Counties, he was given that choice because of the peoples choice in the Agreement. Too bad for the IFA, but the people have spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Nothing Sepp loves more than to shove it up the Brits.

Advertisement