Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hysterical but appropriate reaction - Emergency Budget coming very soon

Options
  • 03-03-2009 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭

Government have been forced to face the nightmare situation of collapse of tax take and have decided to step in to fill the huge gap with emergency budget by the end of the month.

The figures make terrible reading.
    Total tax take down 24% on January 08, back to 2004 levels.
    Capital gains tax is down 70%
    Stamp duty down 60%
    Corporation tax down 35%
    VAT down 17%
    Income tax down 9%

Anyone know what tax levels were in 2004 to get an idea of what kind of increases can be expected?
    Tagged:

Comments

Feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

...fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Income tax increases and more spending cuts. We need another 2 billion on top of that other 2 billion it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

well what can i say ,majority of the country voted for fianna fail, now they can pay for the sown stiupidity they braugfht it on them selves i wish them a big congratualations and those who didnt vote for them my Commiseration's...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dear IMF,

Can you please hurry up, there's some big sh1t going down,

Yours sincerely

ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

well what can i say ,majority of the country voted for fianna fail, now they can pay for the sown stiupidity they braugfht it on them selves i wish them a big congratualations and those who didnt vote for them my Commiseration's...

Where woudl FG or Labour be finding the money?

Anyway was it not less than 50% that voted for FF? Thats not the majority of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

+1. As you sow, so shall you reap.

Stekelly wrote: »

I think people's anger is directed more at FF's having been sitting in government in the 11 years before things went bad and never considered the possibility of a downturn for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I wonder if Bertie is in hiding? That f*cker and his minister for finance have ruined this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

my god can they just not get the finger out and go though their costs line by line and generate some savings that way

Income tax increases at this time don't really make sense as they would add to our woes and possibly speed up the IMF coming in (hopefully this doesnt happen!)

What if for example all toilet roll used by the government was bought centrally how much would we save

Now apply this to all items bought and then redeploy the excess staff to depts that need them.

I mean if i had to i would have to budget based on what i earn as the banks would be slow to bail me out

• Advertisement

dsmythy wrote: »
    I think people's anger is directed more at FF's having been sitting in government in the 11 years before things went bad and never considered the possibility of a downturn for some strange reason.

The world is ****ed, not just us.

The world is ****ed, not just us.

Every country is frucked. But some are more frucked than others.

Are they going to completely wipe out the retail sector with the next budget? Town centres are going to look like the ones in 1950s Iron Curtain countries - not a lick of paint for ten years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

ongarite wrote: »
    Stamp duty down 60%

Ouch, I'd imagine that those two would have been lower being the ones directly affected by the credit crunch, but not that low.

This will not be pretty, but regardless of who's incharge this would still have been a problem. How the current government deal with this will be.... interesting, mainly because they're damned no matter how they act.

Some are just further along than others. They'll catch up.

The higher you are the further the fall and all that. We were pretty high.

Anyway was it not less than 50% that voted for FF? Thats not the majority of the country.

I dunno, but where going to be on our 3rd attempt of the budget so eather way... some one im shore could do a better job and besides as we all no biffo is the highist payed dude in charge in the world you dont see fianna fail taking cuts yet every one else does

If you ask me its down to this

Finna Fail Trys to hard and bye trying you fail...

you allways hear the loosing team saying well we tried are best

you allways here the winning team say we knew what we had to do and went out and did it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I wonder if Bertie is in hiding?

No, he's in other Banana Republics, such as Honduras, lecturing them on how to build a 'Celtic Tiger' style bubble-economy!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I dont vote. I always look smart now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Did Biffo not just say last Sunday that would be no mini budget this year? The guy is talking out of his arse.

I wonder what they will hit? Probably bring all workers into the tax net for starters anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

time for the govt to start paying people to dig and refill holes.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

More pension levy on the public sector I say.

Korvanica wrote: »

Pay them with what?

seanybiker wrote: »
    I dont vote. I always look smart now

I can see why majority of people eather are in politics for other reasons.. for the majoority little seem to have the agenda of getting this country running well so i cant really blame you.

How ever in a time where soon voting will be important for this country you me every one, we need some one whole make the dessions and we as a country need to except that things arnt going to be like they once where and accept the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

ongarite wrote: »
    Government have been forced to face the nightmare situation of collapse of tax take and have decided to step in to fill the huge gap with emergency budget by the end of the month.

The figures make terrible reading.
    Total tax take down 24% on January 08, back to 2004 levels.
    Stamp duty down 60%
    Corporation tax down 35%
    VAT down 17%
    Income tax down 9%

Anyone know what tax levels were in 2004 to get an idea of what kind of increases can be expected?
    Do you have a link to this hysteria?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Bertie Ahern, I just fixed your famous quote :mad:

"'The reason it's on the rise is because probably the boom fukked times are getting even more boomer fukkeder."

Terry wrote: »
    Do you have a link to this hysteria?

http://www.finance.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=5699

They the numbers. Work out the percentages yourself though :p

Korvanica wrote: »

The government's already dug itself into a big hole - and the electorate is going to bury them in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Not quite.

For example: Canada, one of the top civilised countries in the world has NOT had one bank failure or even come close to it.
    Their economy is strong despite the nation on its southern border not helping, its banks are well capitalised and poised to take advantage of opportunities that European and American banks cannot seize.
    They have for years put in place effective safeguards that has controlled the prices of property and kept it stable, they have tightened regulation in all areas of businesses where American and European partners have been rushing for de-regulation. Their tax code does not provide for massive incentive for overconsumption. It has 12 years of monetary surpluses and put some of this money away for "rainy days" (who would know things could go bad! :rolleyes: ).
    The country restructured the national pension scheme, placing it on a firm fiscal footing. Its health care is cheaper by far, its stock markets are doing better than all major countries also. Life expectancy is STILL one of thee highest in the world.

How did all this happen? The government actually planned for the worst YEARS ago when things were going good. They knew not to put all their revenue resources in too many single baskets/areas. They saved for possible bad times. They applied money (tightly controlled and watched) to the vital areas such as education, science and industry. Such is still their success that for example; Ontario is now the biggest car producing region between USA and Canada alone!

They didn't do any thing that other countries couldn't have done with a bit of kop-on.
    They just went a head and did it while our government for one, stupidly thought everything going good would last for ever and didn't plan for bad days.
    Meanwhile our government ministers decided (and still do) to go on countless world junkets and extra long holidays (- remember their Christmas break or have we forgotten about that already? When was the last time anyone has even seen a half full Dail?).

Guess what! We are all now paying for our elected officials stupidity and to a great extent, we get what we deserve!
    We put the fools in power - whats more and WORSE - we are still allowing them to remain there. Remember that at the next election for fcuks sake!
    Its time for fcuking change and not just in the same over paid faces but time for change in the way things are done!

Wake the fcuk up Ireland and kop yourselves on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Dam, well the dole needs to be cut first imo...

Why did they get an €8 increase in January despite everyone else taking cuts and the cost of living dropping?

Is it worth being a CO in the civil Service?
    After the pesnion levy, wages of €370 pw, while somebody on the dole get €205 + rent allowence + a medical card. Hardly fair?

One parent Family needs to be looked into as well....the amount of people scamming this is shocking.

Advertisement