Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

armageddon

• 03-03-2009 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

this is the word being used around the sandwich bars in dublin at lunchtime. it describes where the country is heading. apparently the government are preparing plans with the eu to dissolve the union and then start it again minus ireland. it removes lisbon as an issue also

are things really that bad that irelands fate is being compared to disasters of biblical proportions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

this is the word being used around the sandwich bars in dublin at lunchtime. it describes where the country is heading. apparently the government are preparing plans with the eu to dissolve the union and then start it again minus ireland. it removes lisbon as an issue also

are things really that bad that irelands fate is being compared to disasters of biblical proportions?

The "armageddon" is a new sub with extra chilli sauce. Are you sure you were listening correctly?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Moved from After Hours. Feel free to bounce back if unsuitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Veni Vedi Vici

javaboy wrote: »

Should 'armegeddon' imply 'conspiracy'? No.

Should the alias of the OP imply 'conspiracy theorist'? Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

lol some bull****. why just ireland? what about greece, latvia and spain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Honestly, yes. Things really are that bad.

Sorry to have to break it to you Mr. Breakfast Roll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Kevin Myers was on the radio last week blabbering that the country was heading for "armageddon".

Needless to say I couldn't stop laughting for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

Kevin Myers was on the radio last week blabbering that the country was heading for "armageddon".

what did he say a few black people on moore st. and claim this was the future of ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Let us in on the joke? Cant see why its so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

javaboy wrote: »

don't understand. its not a conspiracy. its very real out there presently. this is s straight from city centre bank officials. thye are not known to make idle claims or tell lies
    acontadino wrote: »
    lol some bull****. why just ireland? what about greece, latvia and spain?

what about them? we don't live there and they are not falling apart at the rate that ireland is. nor have they exposed seriously corrupt government, civil servants, legal, industry and financial institutions

i can't see how anyone could find the situation funny

I know, sandwiches should never be compared to countries.

• Advertisement

Maybe you had to hear it. It was just your typical Myers hyper rant, you could almost visualise him foaming at the mouth and his eyes rolling to the back of his head as he was rambling. It has no relation to this topic of course but it was the first time I've heard the word 'armageddon' on the radio in years.

Maybe you had to hear it. It was just your typical Myers hyper rant, you could almost visualise him foaming at the mouth and his eyes rolling to the back of his head as he was rambling. It has no relation to this topic of course but it was the first time I've heard the word 'armageddon' on the radio in years.

Was he advertising sandwich bars?

Not that I can remember, but rumour has it he eats sandwitches from time to time so he could have insider information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Veni Vedi Vici

what about them? we don't live there and they are not falling apart at the rate that ireland is. nor have they exposed seriously corrupt government, civil servants, legal, industry and financial institutions

Are you not at all familiar with the recent public riots of Iceland or Greece? The Irish are still protesting with civility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Iceland's no in the EU and as you may have noticed they got left swingin in the breeze.

be interestin to see what happens now re Lisbon tho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Bring it on .ROI can do guite OK outside the EU.First thing is we can sell the private jets the gravy train brigade use to fly to europe as the planes will be surplus to requirements .That alone would save a fortune and clip the gravy trains wings .Then we could get hold of TD as they would be stuck on the Island.
    Also we could get back all our fishing regions some 6 times the size of the ROI land mass with all its remaining fish .With the wealth of fish which only ROI boats would be allowed to fish we would make just as much money as the unstable fickle dam fangled high tech industry that can exit stage left anyday to go to cheaper China.

ROI is 0.3% of the total GNP of the EU so it really wont matter to EU if we are there or not .We wont miss them that much and the likes of thethe germans today saying we have to give up the low tax regime we give .The germmans say if they the EU rescues us from the basket case economy we now are in thats the pound of flesh they demand higher taxx ROI .Problem is a high tax regime in ROI wil ensure the 60% of the USA companies here would exit rapido and we would suffer ~50% unemployemnet rates

Having worked and lived in the EU I figure ROI can easily survive very well thank you outside the of the EU if we need too

I for one dont like Lisbon as gets rid of democracy in all the EU including ROI if we are dumb and vote yes for the Lisbon treaty.

I liked the economic partnership in the original old EEC and early EU but a super state USA europe is too much especialy when its is a tyranny EU regime that they want to impose on us

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

We could surivive very well outside the EU

Norway and Switzerland can, and we surivived before it. A yes to lisbon means we are ****ed and can never go back to what we are as country.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I would not discount the EU having plans to kick us out of the Euro if we became a threat to it.

Our Govt. collaborating on it, unlikely, considering everything.
    PS. There's a thread about Lisbon on the forum and I don't think anybody even hinted at anything like that! Seems to be more focused on the Govt. brainwashing us to pass it. Confused! :o

don't understand. its not a conspiracy. its very real out there presently. this is s straight from city centre bank officials. thye are not known to make idle claims or tell lies

It isn't unimaginable.

Greece and Spain are as bad, just in different ways. Latvia is even worse shape, the IMF had to intervene.

Iceland's no in the EU and as you may have noticed they got left swingin in the breeze.

Hard to know yet, Iceland may yet come calling to the EU. I'm sure many CT'ers can see the logic in that, after all it would be the EU/NWO taking advantage of Iceland to get fishing rights etc.
    derry wrote: »
    Bring it on .ROI can do guite OK outside the EU.

How? Are you aware of the barriers of entry into the EU from outside countries?
    derry wrote:
    Also we could get back all our fishing regions some 6 times the size of the ROI land mass with all its remaining fish .With the wealth of fish which only ROI boats would be allowed to fish we would make just as much money as the unstable fickle dam fangled high tech industry that can exit stage left anyday to go to cheaper China.

Yep and lose our farming industry in one fell swoop.
    derry wrote:
    ROI is 0.3% of the total GNP of the EU so it really wont matter to EU if we are there or not .We wont miss them that much and the likes of thethe germans today saying we have to give up the low tax regime we give .The germmans say if they the EU rescues us from the basket case economy we now are in thats the pound of flesh they demand higher taxx ROI .

One minister said it.
    derry wrote:
    Problem is a high tax regime in ROI wil ensure the 60% of the USA companies here would exit rapido and we would suffer ~50% unemployemnet rates

Would that not happen if we left the EU?
    Derry wrote:
    I liked the economic partnership in the original old EEC and early EU but a super state USA europe is too much especialy when its is a tyranny EU regime that they want to impose on us

Derry

I find people think that. When you analyse it, they liked the money coming in to Ireland.

mysterious wrote: »
    Norway and Switzerland can, and we surivived before it. A yes to lisbon means we are ****ed and can never go back to what we are as country.:(

Different countries Mysterious, different histories, different locations, different resources. Many Norwegians are pissed of at being members of EFTA, but not the EU.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

K-9 wrote: »
    II find people think that. When you analyse it, they liked the money coming in to Ireland.

Different countries Mysterious, different histories, different locations, different resources. Many Norwegians are pissed of at being members of EFTA, but not the EU.

The money has stopped now. We don't get any more money from the EU, we have to give money to the poorer eastern countries

The elites can't wait to have complete Europe mapped now.

Btw the money that came to Ireland isn't much to talk about. The roads since 2007 is our money. And since 2007 most of roads have been built as motorways connecting the cities to Dublin.

The Belfast to Dublin was funded by the EU. But then again road building is one of the cheapeast forms of capital spending. The EU didn't feel up to putting money into our silly health service.

I really think this EU stuff has turned my stomach, I know it now as the devil and devil worshipping. It's sad cus I used to be a pro of Europe. The great thing it helped peace since WW2. But the idea of a super Europe, one language, one super army. one giant elite is just not happy in my mind or thoughts at all:( I am hearing many Eastern Europeans now saying they regret been part of Europe. A guy I know from Hungary cannot believe that their government is completely reforming the country to the EU regulations on everything. He feels his country will lose it's culture and soveriegnty too. The only good thing would be new roads and that jazz.

But I'd rather Norway position than Irelands right now. I'm sure they are well content not involved in this fiasco with the NWO and the elite wanting to further take more control of our freedoms.

mysterious wrote: »
    The money has stopped now. We don't get any more money from the EU, we have to give money to the poorer eastern countries

We do, we will not be a net contributor until about 2012 and giving recent events, that is very optimistic. We are the biggest recipent by far of CAP Aid, which remember would disappear if we left the EU.

Mysterious wrote:
    Btw the money that came to Ireland isn't much to talk about. The roads since 2007 is our money. And since 2007 most of roads have been built as motorways connecting the cities to Dublin.

Exactly 2007.

It was a big factor in the 80's when we wasted it, but from the early 90's on, when the EU insisted on proper cost/benefit analysis, it was a big help.
    mysterious wrote:
    The EU didn't feel up to putting money into our silly health service.

Why would they? That's our own mess!
    mysterious wrote:
    I really think this EU stuff has turned my stomach, I know it as the devil. It's sad cus I used to be a pro in Europe. The great thing it helped peace since WW2. But the idea of a super Europe, one language, one super army. one giant elite is just not happy in my mind or thoughts at all:(

You'd be in a massive majority there.
    mysterious wrote:
    But I'd reather Norway position than Irelands right now. i'm sure they are well content not involved in this fiasco with the NWO and the elite wanting to further take more control of our freedoms.

Do you know what the EFTA is and specifically how it works with the EU?

PS. Just to get you thinking, Iceland IS a member.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I would not discount the EU having plans to kick us out of the Euro if we became a threat to it.

I'd be pretty surprised if that was the case.

AFAIK, it takes a unanimous vote of all other member states to "kick us out".

As either a larger or smaller nation, I'd be exceedingly careful about setting the precedent that "nay sayers" get kicked out...because who knows when it'll turn round and bite you in the ass.

bonkey wrote: »
    I'd be pretty surprised if that was the case.

AFAIK, it takes a unanimous vote of all other member states to "kick us out".

As either a larger or smaller nation, I'd be exceedingly careful about setting the precedent that "nay sayers" get kicked out...because who knows when it'll turn round and bite you in the ass.

I said I wouldn't discount it.

It's unlikely but if we keep running budget deficits like we are, who knows? There are rules to be adhered to by countries in the Euro.

I said I wouldn't discount it.

It's unlikely but if we keep running budget deficits like we are, who knows? There are rules to be adhered to by countries in the Euro.

We've 5 years to sort our mess out, what happens if we don't?

Advertisement