Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get details of 20 year old house?

Options
  • 03-03-2009 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how I would go about getting details of a house that was built C.20 years ago (There are about 15 of them build by a developer). Such as plans, who built it and what it sold for etc. I have looked all over the internet and cant find anything. I have asked the estate agent/vendor, but they didnt have exact details and said it was on the title deed (which they did not have yet). When would they receive the title deeds ? (I presume the house is still mortgaged).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The title deed is held by the mortgage company, and then by solicitors during closing, the estate agent will go nowhere near it. How much it sold for is a matter of private record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I presume that the houses were advertised when they were sold first though. What did people use before daft/myhome?

As for seeing plans can I just ask the planning office (they are not on its website)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

irishguy wrote: »
    I presume that the houses were advertised when they were sold first though. What did people use before daft/myhome?

As for seeing plans can I just ask the planning office (they are not on its website)

The Irish Times launched its Property Supplement in 1988- so any county library should have microfiches of the issues from 20 years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Back in the 80s a lot of the time people bought their house direct from the builder. He, or someone who worked for him, would sit in the showhouse on the weekends and take booking deposits etc. They didn't use an agent.
    Very often they didn't even advertise in the press because the signs at the building site would be enough to attract buyers.

Back in the 80s a lot of the time people bought their house direct from the builder. He, or someone who worked for him, would sit in the showhouse on the weekends and take booking deposits etc. They didn't use an agent.
    Very often they didn't even advertise in the press because the signs at the building site would be enough to attract buyers.

It was probably advertised in the Irish Times Property Supplement though- thats the point I was making...... In the late 80s- it would have taken some fairly hefty advertising to shift property- we were still recovering from the last dose of IMF treatment.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

The this is I dont know what year it was built so it would take me ages to find it manually, had a look on the irish times website with no look. Could I just ask the planning department? Or would they give that out?

irishguy wrote: »
    The this is I dont know what year it was built so it would take me ages to find it manually, had a look on the irish times website with no look. Could I just ask the planning department? Or would they give that out?

Depends on how benevolent the person you speak to is feeling- it means they will have to go and hunt through files- instead of you. They do not normally do this.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It depends on how much information the council has to hand. 20 years is a longish time.

For Dublin City Council Planning Department they have a series of map books at the public counter covering the entire city. On these maps, each appplication for each site is marked, certainly going back 10-15 years, maybe longer. Current (1 year?) files are on site, much of the rest is micro-fiched.

That should give you at least the details of the applicant, site owner (if different) and designer.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

http://www.landregistry.ie/eng/landdirect_ie/

You will need to register and setup an account (it cost about 2.50 per transaction with a minimum subscrption of €100) but it is always interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

smccarrick wrote: »
    It was probably advertised in the Irish Times Property Supplement though- thats the point I was making...... In the late 80s- it would have taken some fairly hefty advertising to shift property- we were still recovering from the last dose of IMF treatment.......

It won't have been advertised in the Times unless it was an expensive house in an affluent area. Ordinary 3-bed semis weren't in the Times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement