Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N Roses to play Ireland?

• 03-03-2009 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

A source close to the bone has told me today that apparently Metallica's move to a different Irish venue was not something taken lightly - it was done to ensure a license could still be granted for another major Irish concert due to take place.

Rumours are flying around this contact's office that Guns N Roses are due to perform in Ireland this year having been announced as headliner's of a festival in Spain this week. The venue move on Metallica's part was done so that Punchestown could be used for this concert - since the reasoning was that Metallica already played in Ireland last August and therefore would not attract as big a crowd as GNR, who have not played in Ireland since 2006.

They said the concert may not be as late in the year as Metallica's concert, but will happen after the Def Leppard 02 concert on June 12th.

GNR are apparently top secret about their touring plans at the moment and have refused to allow promoters or press agencies to release any solid details. It also stands to reason that unless a full European touring schedule is put in place Axl Rose may decide not to tour at all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,702 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

G'N'R attract a bigger cowd than metallica?? Do'nt know about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Firstly, even if it is Metallica umpttenth time here, they'll attract a bigger crowd

Secondly, Metallica were NEVER scheduled to play Punchestown, it was Fairyhouse. Thats the second time I've seen you say that Motley...whats going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

rarnes1 wrote: »
    G'N'R attract a bigger cowd than metallica?? Do'nt know about that.

Happened three years ago at Download at the same venue. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

it was confirmed that all rumours about gnr playing this summer are false.

not saying there won't be a tour but the spain one was confirmed false as well as any other 'confirmed' ones.

"Beta confirmed to me that all European concert dates in June 2009 that have been posted at various websites, including Spain, are fake"

quote from Eric Romano, owner of mygnr and credited in chinese democracy inlay who is credible and in contact with gnr. beta is axls p.a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

ShawnRaven wrote: »

Didn't Metallica sell out their day?If memory serves correctly, I think they did, so no chance of another band getting bigger crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,702 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Mushy wrote: »
    Firstly, even if it is Metallica umpttenth time here, they'll attract a bigger crowd

Secondly, Metallica were NEVER scheduled to play Punchestown, it was Fairyhouse. Thats the second time I've seen you say that Motley...whats going on?

Metallica are playing Marley
    http://www.metallica.com/page.asp?id=13367

Didn't Metallica sell out their day?If memory serves correctly, I think they did, so no chance of another band getting bigger crowd.

I don't think either dates completely sold out, which is probably why Download never made it back here.

I remember reading that GNR had the bigger crowd, could have been utter bollocks though, I wasn't there for the Metallica day, but the GNR turnout was pretty impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Could it be that FNM are playing?

I would be extremely annoyed if some whiny ginger a$$hole got bumped up the pecking order over Metallica! Although saying that I'm not very enthused about going to Metallica this year. I've seen them so many times in the last few.......it's just lost it's pizazz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It will be either GNR or Faith No More. Both would be the ****, a repeat of Slane back in the day. Fingers Crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

{Pff it's not G'N'R it's axel and his back up band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I saw em few year back, the guitarist played 'I am beautiful' by Christina Agulera on his axe.

It sucked

Thaedydal wrote: »
    {Pff it's not G'N'R it's axel and his back up band.

Get over it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

No, they didn't. I got my ticket on the day and there was still a good few left. only got it at the last minute because i wasn't too sure if i'd get to go.

they did sell out marlay park last year though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

superweld wrote: »
    Get over it :rolleyes:

Get over what, she's right:)

Can he even sing anymore?

Fad wrote: »

can he even sing anymore? i take it you haven't heard chinese democracy or seen any of the tour in 06. if you had you wouldn't ask such a question.

she's right? if you have chinese democracy you'll see the name Guns N' Roses so it is a band called guns n' roses.

is it the orignal band? nope. have we known slash, duff, izzy, steven and co. are not in the band anymore for donkeys years? yes! hence get over it.

it's not your normal situation but it is what it is. the new album is fantastic in my opinion but it's that sort of attitude that is bringing it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

RonMexico wrote: »
    It will be either GNR or Faith No More. Both would be the ****, a repeat of Slane back in the day. Fingers Crossed.
    Only if My Little Funhouse reform and play as well ;).

malice_ wrote: »
    Only if My Little Funhouse reform and play as well ;).

And that's probably very highly unlikely. Shame really because Standunder was a f*cking awesome album.

To a point, however quite a lot of their current lineup has lasted twice as long as both of the well more known lineups put together. So i can understand superweld's response, i just probably wouldn't have left it like that the way he did. :)

Haven't heard the new one then?
    Look, Chinese Democracy isn't Appetite II or Illusion III, but that doesn't stop it from being a good album, and it is a good album. But hey, don't let that get in the way of some good old fashioned Axl bashing because the Slash fanboys feel so hard done by because a reconciliation hasn't taken place yet. :rolleyes:

can he even sing anymore? i take it you haven't heard chinese democracy or seen any of the tour in 06. if you had you wouldn't ask such a question.

she's right? if you have chinese democracy you'll see the name Guns N' Roses so it is a band called guns n' roses.

They're about as Guns and Roses as the current band touring under the name The Misfits are The Misfits:pac:

Sorry let me rephrase my singing question, can he sing while not being digitally assisted? Doubtful, I shudder to think what he'd be like live.

Slash was a great player yes, but he wasnt all of the band, I get that. What I do not get is when you eliminate everyone except the singer (Or is there still another member I dunno).

I have heard Chinese Democracy, its not good, not bad either, its not GnR either though, Shackler's Revenge as a example..............
    Shawnraven wrote:
    To a point, however quite a lot of their current lineup has lasted twice as long as both of the well more known lineups put together.

I dont really call 13 years of near inactivity (I said NEAR inactivity, but the very occasional live show really doesnt qualify them as active), something that could considered stable. Also didnt he go through a few band member during that time? (Im open to correction there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Chinese Democracy is a very good album. Axl Rose is a c*nt alright, but he always was. If you listened to Chinese Democracy you'd know he can still sing. In fact, I prefer it to anything Velvet Revolver or Metallica have ever done.

• Advertisement

I dont really call 13 years of near inactivity (I said NEAR inactivity, but the very occasional live show really doesnt qualify them as active), something that could considered stable. Also didnt he go through a few band member during that time? (Im open to correction there)

Trust me, they were still more stable than they were during the Illusion tour, by the time that was finished they could barely be in the same room as each other, but they were still knocking out singles and touring, so i guess that makes them a stable band. ;)

They didn't go through that many members. Buckethead was there for a while until a couple of years ago, Paul Tobias was given the boot, but Stinson, Brain, and Finck have been there for a while now, Dizzy Reed's been there since about 1991, sounds like the majority of the band to me, i could be wrong too and also open to correction.

Chinese Democracy is a very good album. Axl Rose is a c*nt alright, but he always was. If you listened to Chinese Democracy you'd know he can still sing. In fact, I prefer it to anything Velvet Revolver or Metallica have ever done.

I'll agree with you on the Velvet Revolver think, i like Contraband eventhough it is highly over-rated and Libertad was pish. I can't fully agree on it being better than anything Metallica ever done, especially their first three albums.

But hey, this is boards, it's not the Dail and we're not all yes men. :D

Trust me, they were still more stable than they were during the Illusion tour, by the time that was finished they could barely be in the same room as each other, but they were still knocking out singles and touring, so i guess that makes them a stable band. ;)

They didn't go through that many members. Buckethead was there for a while until a couple of years ago, Paul Tobias was given the boot, but Stinson, Brain, and Finck have been there for a while now, Dizzy Reed's been there since about 1991, sounds like the majority of the band to me, i could be wrong too and also open to correction.

Im not going to attempt to talk about GnR when I was a year and a month old :), Id be bull****ting.

Finck is back? Wiki is too confusing for this!

No Finck is in NIN now.........

(Listening to an album does not prove someone can sing..........)

Im not going to attempt to talk about GnR when I was a year and a month old :), Id be bull****ting.

Which is fair enough, but there were interesting stories, specifically Axl being about an hour late for a gig because he insisted on traveling by chopper everywhere, problem was, there was nowhere close by to land the f*cking thing and had to drive for an hour to the arena!
    Finck is back? Wiki is too confusing for this!

No Finck is in NIN now.........

He did double duty for years, but he still lasted longer in the band than their previous guitarists.
    (Listening to an album does not prove someone can sing..........)

No, but i've seen and heard him live, he can still sing and still hold a tune. :)

fad he was great singing live on the 2006 tour. saw them twice. don't think his mic was hooked up to anything that would digitally assist :pac:

VR - more classic GNR sound and members? i think they made no effort and just threw their albums. good but nothing special.

GNR - one original member and different sounding but still not light years from classic gnr apart from slashs guitar sound. amazing album.

a name is a name and all that but gnr/newgnr/axlscultarmy or whatever you want to call them are a great band.

Which is fair enough, but there were interesting stories, specifically Axl being about an hour late for a gig because he insisted on traveling by chopper everywhere, problem was, there was nowhere close by to land the f*cking thing and had to drive for an hour to the arena!

Im gonna find something so I can read up on this, sounds entetaining!
    fad he was great singing live on the 2006 tour. saw them twice. don't think his mic was hooked up to anything that would digitally assist :pac:

Im not saying he definitly uses Autotune live, as I really dont know. Chances are though, he does.

you'll just have to trust me so :D

seriously though he doesn't. axl on his game can hit every note he does in the studio. he's not always on his game though, his voice isn't what it used to be in 86-89 but still amazing. he has his off days live which suggests he ain't using any autotune.

And the RDS gigs saw Metallica sell the place out while Guns was half empty.....

I don't think either dates completely sold out, which is probably why Download never made it back here.

I remember reading that GNR had the bigger crowd, could have been utter bollocks though, I wasn't there for the Metallica day, but the GNR turnout was pretty impressive.

I was at both and there were WAY more people at Tallica. I wandered up to the barrier no hassle at Guns, I nearly lost my mates from the crus at Tallica. NO comparison.
    whiterob81 wrote: »
    No, they didn't. I got my ticket on the day and there was still a good few left. only got it at the last minute because i wasn't too sure if i'd get to go.

they did sell out marlay park last year though

Of all gigs I've been to in the RDS, Metallica 06 was by far the most attended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Of all gigs I've been to in the RDS, Metallica 06 was by far the most attended.

I think that the support of AIC/Korn was a selling point in this too, it was for me anyway.
    TBH personally I would not be in any hurry to see GnR live unless there was decent support acts. Chinese Democracy did feck all for me, it wasnt arse but it wasnt great either.

Advertisement