Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N Roses to play Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

tbh i've no idea of the numbers that were at the G N' R/METALLICA shows in '06 but both seemed pretty packed. G N' R pulled a big crowd because they'd disappeared off the radar for so long that a lot of people were intrigued to see if axl still had it and what the new outfit sounded like.

i'm not sure how well the G N' R brand would sell now after the release of such an over-hyped record which had so-so reviews. it'd need to be a pretty impressive line-up to sell out,particularly if it ends up outside of dublin. AC/DC they're not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

ah sweet anyway if they play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

After 22 years of attending concerts, GNR at the RDS in 2006 was the worst. This was my review at the time.............................................."Having no interest in seeing current upstarts Funeral for a friend and Bullet for my valentine, I arrived at the RDS around 8.30 last Friday, arriving at the venue I could hear Axl Rose was already on, I asked how long they'd be on, 20 mins apparently.Anyways, undeterred we arrived at the final chords of Knockin on heavens door and next up we were "treated" to a joint guitar solo version of Christina Aguilara's song "Beautiful", yes, it was as bad as it sounds.Axl Rose abounds back onstage for a rousing version of "Outta get me", then another guitar solo, this time we were offered "Dont cry" in full as a guitar solo?!The momentum rose again with "You could be mine" before Axl left the stage again and guess what, another guitar solo? No, this time a f*ckin piano solo!After that there was a run of 3 or 4 songs, "November rain", "Sweet child o mine" and a couple of new songs from Chinese Democracy.Sebastian Bach came onstage to duet on "My michelle" and the momentum was kept going with the brilliant "Madagascar" again from the next album.Then another guitar solo!!!!.Why did they keep building up the momentum and then stop it dead in its tracks with these meaningless solos.I was close to calling it quits and leaving at this point.The solo's weren't even good, tuneless messes, is a good description.and the posing and pomp of these guys during the solos defied belief, "You have to earn the right to prance around like that" I said to my better half.The show finished with a cracking version of "Nightrain" and "Paradise city", but it has to be said, overall it was disappointing.Axl Rose has stage presence and he still has the voice, but the bums he has as his band wasn't even funny.They looked like children lost in a shopping centre when Axl wasn't onstage.I wouldn't say the show was a disaster as they had their moments, but they were too few and far between.Fridays experince meant I decided to give Metallica a miss.In truth, I would have went to see Alice in chains and cast a curious eye over Korn, but given the fact Korn didn't play, Im glad I opted for Angola V Portugal in the world cup."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

poundhound wrote: »
    "You have to earn the right to prance around like that" I said to my better half.The show finished with a cracking version of "Nightrain" and "Paradise city", but it has to be said, overall it was disappointing.

Your "review" was very bias, you failed to say anything really positive at all, and from the moment I started reading (where you said you made a point of missing the support acts and then turning up the gig late) I knew you were going to do nothing but slate the band. I was at the same gig, in the pit, and both the atmosphere and performance was electric...yes there were a few breaks here and there but that added to the atmosphere of a big stage rock show...if you were so into the music you needed a break just as much as Axl every once in a while
    Fridays experince meant I decided to give Metallica a miss.In truth, I would have went to see Alice in chains and cast a curious eye over Korn, but given the fact Korn didn't play, Im glad I opted for Angola V Portugal in the world cup."

You decided to miss Metallica because GNR were bad? Im sorry but that doesnt make sense. If I decided not to go to a concert because the one Id seen the night before was awful then Id have to admit to myself that I just didnt want to go and it had nothing to do with the first nights performance. You simply wanted to watch the football more and you seem very hard to please so I doubt Metallica would have been your thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I had nothing positive to say at all? I mentioned the brilliant Madagascar and mentioned that Axl still has stage presence and the voice is still there but the 2006 show was very very disappointing. How you can say the performance was electric is baffling?! What did it for you the guitar solo of Christine Agulera's beautiful? Hardly a successful ingredient of a big rock show. Im also very aware of the music of FFOF and BFMV and I dislike them both hence my decision to deliberatly miss them. Also for a headline act to take the stage before 8pm is very very uncommon. As I said the whole debacle tainted my interest in going to the same venue the following night for Metallica show. What I should have mentioned is that I had already seen Metallica 5 times up to that point and as a result wasnt bothered about seeing them again. What I should also point out is that I seen GNR in 1992 and they were fantastic. Fans of the current line up dont want to accept that this incarnation is NOT Guns N Roses. If you want them to play here again and pay to listen to endless guitar/piano solo's while Axl braids his hair, then fine. But the GNR I seen in 1992 had more talent, hunger and relevance than todays watered down effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

There is an awful amount of bull**** being thrown around in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

What did it for you the guitar solo of Christine Agulera's beautiful? Hardly a successful ingredient of a big rock show.

it was actually a good version. i know it's not 'cool' for anything related to christina aguilera to be in a gnr gig but she didn't write the song. it was written by a friend of richard fortus (4 non blonde woman can't think of her name at moment)

would i prefer it didn't happen? probably but i still enjoyed it.

As I said the whole debacle tainted my interest in going to the same venue the following night for Metallica show. What I should have mentioned is that I had already seen Metallica 5 times up to that point and as a result wasnt bothered about seeing them again.

You are entitled to your opinion but I cant understand how it was that bad of a show for you. And if youd mentioned youd seen Metallica 5 seperate times before it would have made a difference. Ive seen Metallica 4 times, 6 by the end of the year, and I would think Id draw the line there unless they made an exceptionally good album
    What I should also point out is that I seen GNR in 1992 and they were fantastic. Fans of the current line up dont want to accept that this incarnation is NOT Guns N Roses. If you want them to play here again and pay to listen to endless guitar/piano solo's while Axl braids his hair, then fine. But the GNR I seen in 1992 had more talent, hunger and relevance than todays watered down effort.

If you had mentioned you were comparing them to the original lineup, which is a different band....and even Axl has to admit that....there is no comparison, GNR with Slash and Duff were far better live than Axl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

the word Guns N Roses, is like **** and flies.

jaysus, who cares, he plays the tunes you want to hear. any dick can learn the guitar bits. axl was the main man in GnR, The frontman.

In my opinion musicians with stage presence like slash and duff are everywhere and they can learn to play the classics.

Id still go , just to have a good time, thats what concerts are all about having a laugh and getting ****faced.maybe shout abuse at axl for the craic.:pac: Never understood people standing in a field complaining about the sound etc. ITS A ****ING FIELD:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

superweld wrote: »
    it was actually a good version. i know it's not 'cool' for anything related to christina aguilera to be in a gnr gig but she didn't write the song.

I actually have to agree here, and trust me, that was the better performance of that solo considering some of the bootlegs of that set of gigs that went around.

However Bumblefoot's ruining of Don't Cry performing it as a guitar solo was blasphemy. He was booed off the stage less than a minute into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

To me GNR are Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steve. Around the whole Illusions piece Matt Sorum was acceptable along with Dizzy Reed, but after all that fell apart, to me, GNR was no more. What a pity. No album will ever beat appetite.

Same with Metallica. Cliff was a serious loss, and Newstead tried to fit in best he could and I liked them still. That new dude is when I lost interest.

Pearl Jam. Once Abruzzesse was gone I stopped listening. There's still some good stuff, but IMO opinion never the same as it was.

There are certain members of bands that make the band I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

So much anti axl stuff goin on here its not worth commenting on but if the gig does happen and judging by the looks of the post on the gnr forums i might not but if it does i will be a happy gnr camper.....

Advertisement