Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel and Subsistence Rates to be Cut

Options
  • 03-03-2009 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

A little birdie has told me that travel and subsistence for civil servants is to be cut e.g. instead of approx 143euro per night reduced to approx 100euro.

Makes sense with decreasing hotel prices.

What of other busisnesses/semistate organisations? My friend works with ESB and boasts 190 euro for every overnight ( is this true - seems mad especially as they got a recent pay increase? )

And what of us that have to pay it ourselves!!!

Any thoughts? Just throwing it out there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DeirdreD

DeirdreD wrote: »
    A little birdie has told me that travel and subsistence for civil servants is to be cut e.g. instead of approx 143euro per night reduced to approx 100euro.

What of other busisnesses/semistate organisations? My friend works with ESB and boasts 190 euro for every overnight ( is this true - seems mad especially as they got a recent pay increase? )

Not too sure how trustworthy the infomration is about civil servant cuts either it could all be a pipe-dream!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

I would agree with it if it actually happened - the mileage rate for a start is madness.

I've not heard of any changes being announced however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

It has happened, a 25% cut in all domestic rates

oh...and the levy is applied to any allowances or overtime too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DeirdreD

Riskymove wrote: »
    It has happened, a 25% cut in all domestic rates

oh...and the levy is applied to any allowances or overtime too!

Seems like a pretty realistic measure to reduce expenditure.

What would cuts in allowances refer to I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭TGPS

DeirdreD wrote: »

I work in an agency of the government and quite frankly I don't see why there should be an unvouched for system of expenses.

Expenses should only be reimbursed where they've been incurred and then only up to a predetermined limit. There's always been stories circulating (mostly apocryphal, I bet) about people sleeping in cars and claiming an overnight.

The mileage rate should at least halve.

I know there are counter-arguments against vouched for expenses, but I think they are quite weak.

Finally, I'm not sure hacking away at expenses will yiled up the 2+ billion we need, but it sends out an important signal.

http://thisgruntledpublicservant.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cogITere

I fully concour with TGPS, and the fact that these allowaces are for "unreceipted expenses" is a disgrace that should not have ever been tolerated.

These allowances seem to be every where in the public sector from Civial Servants and our infamous TDs. Recent article in the Sunday Tribune (22/02 and follow up in 01/03) stating how two opposition country TDs who live together in Dublin could "double" claim their overnight allowance!!.

This one step will save the country some money, but more importantly will eliminate the abuse of these allowances.

Advertisement