Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media in DIT or Englilsh, Media & Cultural studies in IADT??

Options
  • 03-03-2009 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Heyy
    I know that these two courses are different - different colleges too - but please leave out any comments which are biased towards a specific college or course, i'm not asking who prefers what!!

What I am asking is...

Which course out of these would be better to get into the advertising side of life??

I'm thinking IADT...
    Hmmm
    And if I post this on the DIT forum... DON'T BE MAD!
    I'm just asking for my benefit, not to start a row.

Does anyone know, honestly, which course is better for the area I'm interested in?

I know at the end of the day, it's all down to what i get offered but ya knooooow.... I just wanna know! :]

Thank youuh
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Riveam

I would say that DIT would be better for advertising. Depends on what part of the advertising industry you wanna get into, I'd say the DIT course is a little more practical. In IADT you'll do a small amount that focuses on advertising such as semiotic and theoretical critical analysis of advertising but over all it's quite a broad degree (great cinema aspect of the course).

I'm not saying that it's no use for going into advertising, but you would almost certainly have to do a post grad in order to go into advertising, which means 5 years before you get to start looking for proper work in the industry, whereas the DIT course seems to be a little more grounded in practicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

To be honest, I don't know anything about either course - would it be worth phoning some advertising agencies and seeing what sort of qualification they're looking for?

Either course should have some industry experts attached - query it with the Admissions/School office in each case - which industry experts in advertising sat on their validation boards. That way you'll see which one has had more input from the advertising sector.

Advertisement