Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horizontal trailer pulling

• 03-03-2009 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

I tow several differant trailers; A triple axel open Hudson, a twin horse box, a small enclosed D.I.Y. trailer (6x4) and a 19ft Hobby touring caravan. I had issues with hitching as not all the trailers were going on as smooth as I wanted. When hitched I like the trailer to be as horizontal as possible. Anyhow I found a device which solved the problem. I have attracted lots of stares off other drivers who drive 4x4's etc when I park up in Tesco or some other car parks. I want to pass on news of this rather inexpensive kit to others as it may not be common knowlage that it exists.
    It is a four hole plate with two side flanges.This is attached to the vehicle. These side flanges receive a traditional hitch on a female plate that sits inside the previously mentioned flanges. The female plate with the hitch can be moved up or down through several heights with two retainer pins of about 1" dia. The operation is carried out before hitching and takes about 30 seconds. I paid 50 euro for it as the dealer said he hasn't sold one! I said thats because nobody knows what it is sitting on his shelf. He laughed and agreed!
    Thats it thought I'd share and pass it on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭canon5571

I see what you are saying but I cant really picture the device. Any chance you could put up a few pics?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Every decent motor factors sell these by the dozen and most ESB vehicles have them fitted. You'll find you will have to replace it every 2 years or so because the holes for the pins become elongated from vibrating and slapping when pulling trailers and it'll be an automatic nct/DOE fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A height adjustable tow hook in other words, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭canon5571

Every decent motor factors sell these by the dozen and most ESB vehicles have them fitted. You'll find you will have to replace it every 2 years or so because the holes for the pins become elongated from vibrating and slapping when pulling trailers and it'll be an automatic nct/DOE fail

Ah yes! I know the thing now. I have seen the ESB lorries with them fitted. Very handy for height adjustment.

Advertisement