Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

birthday cake recipe?

• 03-03-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Looking for some suggestions on a recipe to make a birthday cake that can be iced. I was looking to make something that is soft like a sponge but will be able to hold the icing without the cake collapsing! I have thought about a madeira cake but some say its quiet a dry cake, any suggestions on how to make maybe a moist madeira cake, I want something that I can put jam and cream in the middle.
    Also and ideas on how to make a soft icing for the said cake? Thinking of using the roll on stuff but would like to be able to make it rather than buy it,
    many thanks in advance

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

6oz of self-raising flour, marg/butter, sugar
    3 eggs
    1 tsp baking powder
    (1tblsp cocoa powder for chocolate cake)

Mix the dry igrediants together, then add the 3 eggs. Split between two 8" round cake tins.

Put in preheated oven at 170 celcius for about 20 - 30 mins, until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.

Allow to cool.

Buttercream Icing

6oz icing sugar
    3 oz butter/marg
    splash of milk

Sieve in the icing sugar, beat in the butter and milk. Makes a smooth creamy icing that you can pipe or spread with a palette knife.

You can make the icing more interesting by adding cocoa powder for chocolate, small amount of coffee (instead of milk) etc etc or you could just add food colouring to it.

EDIT: This amount of icing will fill the middle and cover the top. If making more of less just make sure it is twice sugar to butter.

This is a very reliable and tasty birthday cake recipe.

Advertisement