Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HSE EMT interviews 2009

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emer tech

Hav nt heard anything in ages ... think it s time to ring the manor and ask if there s any news or rumours :confused:

ok i rang...... the 2 girls dealing with ambulance service are off.... so i left a msg for them to call me !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

k_d wrote: »
    well we should be hearing soon if we are going to be called?

Anyone heard anything?

Through the grapevine, and yes I am in the job for some time now.

Clearance almost finalised for next class to start around end of March. yes it's from a reliable source, but do remember that it is the HSE and plans may change slightly.

The best of luck to all on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

thanks bang bang, youve brought a smile to my face!!!

Hearing anything is better than nothing, i wok for the HSE so i know what its like!"!!

I called manorhamilton before xmas and they would not tell anything over phone. Had to email them and wait for a response which said call back in the new year!!

Hope to be hearing soon so, Will the Referees here before we do if they check them 1st? surely that will be a good indicator also..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 iron_man

Hi all,
    I have been keeping a close eye on this thread as I am in the same boat as most people here, waiting on the panel and trying to find out any info ; if and when classes are going to go ahead! Its great to hear that there may be a class going ahead in march, i'm keeping the fingers crossed!
    just a quick question , if the class goes ahead and there is an offer, is it just a matter of turning up on the start date? Or are there medicals or other requirements to be carried out before starting?

iron_man wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have been keeping a close eye on this thread as I am in the same boat as most people here, waiting on the panel and trying to find out any info ; if and when classes are going to go ahead! Its great to hear that there may be a class going ahead in march, i'm keeping the fingers crossed!
    just a quick question , if the class goes ahead and there is an offer, is it just a matter of turning up on the start date? Or are there medicals or other requirements to be carried out before starting?

Hi Iron man
    AFAIK Medicals will be carried out before starting.. Referances will be checked.. also acceptance letters go out. . . What number are you on the panel ? (if you don t mind me asking)
    Thanks for the info Bang Bang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 iron_man

Thanks emer_tech
    I am in the low 40's on the panel...so if another class goes ahead hopefully ill be included. I would just like to know for defo whats going on, as would everyone thats waiting..

we should hear in the next week or so if its goin ahead in march, but i thought from looking at the exam calender on the phecc website it will be april before it starts

we should hear in the next week or so if its goin ahead in march, but i thought from looking at the exam calender on the phecc website it will be april before it starts

If you count 15 weeks from exam date it goes back to 5th of April :D
    Also on a previous post on this thread 'The Jam' said we would get a text 8 weeks previous to starting.
    SO if the class was going ahead 5th of April , a text should go out about 8th of February.
    Also medical letters went out first week in Aug for oct class ... 2 months before the class started !!!!
    So the first week in February we should def know whats going on ;)

Ok I rang manorhamilton , they are waiting for a class to be confirmed ,said should know more in 2 weeks time... next class is expected to be 24, and letters will be sent to the next 24 on the panel. if any one drops out letters will be sent to the next numbers on the panel... I asked about UCD requirements and they said they re waiting for UCD to get back to them....

To be honest they know as much as what we know !!!!

• Advertisement

great thanks

was also going to call them, no point in annoying them.

Will settle for 2 weeks time.

Does that leave you just out of next class?

Hi k d
    well if no one pulls out i ll miss out by 3 places.... but i heard a few are gone off the panel already!!!! I m keeping my fingers and toes crossed ;) Sure we ll know more in 2 weeks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 medicfar

hi emer tech can
    you list anymore courses that may help me along if this panell still goes ahead

medicfar wrote: »
    hi emer tech can
    you list anymore courses that may help me along if this panell still goes ahead

Hi medicfar
    Not sure of your level ? your probably aware of 'emergency first responder' and EMT, apart from these , you could do the mini mimm s coures (major incident medical management) and the phtls (pre hospital trauma life support)

These courses can be expensive, and some would say why bother if your already on the panel...... but i would put it down to pre learning before the course starts.
    These courses will be covered on the paramedic courses and Exams are based on these courses. ( good to get a head start)

If your not already involved in the voluntary ambulance, you should get involved as they will train you in some courses and you ll get expererience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 polly23

Hi all, well i rang UCD today and i also rang manorhamilton, ucd said leaving certificate defo required, i asked what about mature student entry and she said it has now come in that for mature students, leaving cert will also be required, im already an emt with both c1 and d1, and a leaving cert but didnt pass maths, its so frustrating and upsetting to think i prob miss the next recruitment as im prob going to have to repeat the maths exam. which i wont be able to do untill 2011 because of home commitments, i paid for my own emt course and spent time away from my young family, i think its so unfair if my emt doesnt stand as a higher level of the leaving cert.Manorhamilton said the same but there hands are tied, she wants me to call bak in feb and she did say this grey area should be resolved in the next 6-8 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DUBDUBDUB

polly23 wrote: »
    Hi all, well i rang UCD today and i also rang manorhamilton, ucd said leaving certificate defo required, i asked what about mature student entry and she said it has now come in that for mature students, leaving cert will also be required, im already an emt with both c1 and d1, and a leaving cert but didnt pass maths, its so frustrating and upsetting to think i prob miss the next recruitment as im prob going to have to repeat the maths exam. which i wont be able to do untill 2011 because of home commitments, i paid for my own emt course and spent time away from my young family, i think its so unfair if my emt doesnt stand as a higher level of the leaving cert.Manorhamilton said the same but there hands are tied, she wants me to call bak in feb and she did say this grey area should be resolved in the next 6-8 weeks

Same with the Gardai believe it or not. They actually told me, with a straight face now, that they have rejected candidates in their 30's with degrees, thats right, DEGREES, in criminology in the past because they have not achieved leaving cert maths when they were 18. "Its a standard requirement" apparently
    Has it not struck these a**holes that the people running this country, would in the main, be bursting with qualifications from leaving to Masters and seem to be making a pigs ear of it. You can be educated but that does necessarily make you smart!!
    I believe that most of the guys who work as Paramedics have the one thing you cant really teach. Common sense!

Its disgusting that they will not take into account your EMT course. For years if you were a mature student (over 24) you did an interview and were accepted based on life experience and other relevant skills.. Why they cant do this for you is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 polly23

i no DUBDUBDUB, its maddness, but im sure im not the only one in this boat, when my group were doing our emt course we were told that we'd defo get jobs, but not 1 of the 16 in the class have jobs to date and we are emts a good while now, so basically it seems that i just blew 2500 down the drain because its no use to me now,

i no DUBDUBDUB, its maddness, but im sure im not the only one in this boat, when my group were doing our emt course we were told that we'd defo get jobs, but not 1 of the 16 in the class have jobs to date and we are emts a good while now, so basically it seems that i just blew 2500 down the drain because its no use to me now,

i know its not much comfort Poll, but although you may not have a job, you have learned invaluable skills that could enable you save the lives of others. Including your nearest and dearest. I think thats 2500 well spent mate and it will look great when you get an interview and a job.

It will happen for you, keep the faith

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

DUBDUBDUB wrote: »
    i know its not much comfort Poll, but although you may not have a job, you have learned invaluable skills that could enable you save the lives of others. Including your nearest and dearest. I think thats 2500 well spent mate and it will look great when you get an interview and a job.

It will happen for you, keep the faith

I agree with Dubdubdub Poll it is only a small amount of money if you can safe some persons life.. But hold on in there you never know what will happen next with the H.S.E.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scott22

Its definatly not 2500 wasted, I found the EMT course a big advantage when doing the paramedic course. Gives you a very good head start. Interested to know who said ye would defo get jobs out of the EMT course tho ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Elessar

scott22 wrote: »
    Its definatly not 2500 wasted, I found the EMT course a big advantage when doing the paramedic course. Gives you a very good head start. Interested to know who said ye would defo get jobs out of the EMT course tho ?

This was being said during emt courses throughout 2009. It used to be true, up until early last year EMTs could walk into a job as there was a shortage in the private sector. But not since around the middle of last year. There are no jobs anymore as the private companies are only taking on Paramedics (HSE contracts want only these now) and the market is flooded with out of work EMTs. Even as a Paramedic I believe it is not as easy as before to find work.

Nonetheless it's a great qualification and the 2.5k was certainly not mis-spent. Having the EMT is as good as having a good amount of the Paramedic course under your belt (theory).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭400R

Hi all,newbie to this thread. Just been having a good read of it from page 1 and am gutted to hear about this leaving cert craic! :mad: Does life expierience count for nothing nowadays!?

I'm not just ranting because it affects me now but i've always been a believer that the Leaving cert was a bit over rated. I mean knowing exactly what you want to do for the rest of you're life at 18 years of age is big task! How are you supposed to know-you don't even know what life's about!? Personally when i was in school i had absolutely no interest (like a lot of people) and all i wanted was to get out in the world and earn money! And i did just that-got myself an apprenticeship and earned my qualification. It was only after that that i realised i actually like learning. I've done more courses and got more qualifications since then than you would ever do in 5 years of secondary school!

In relation to this thread (sorry i know i went a bit off topic there! :o) i became very interested when i saw that the IATI were now running part time EMT courses. Unfortunately i just saw it too late (this week) and haven't been able to raise the funds for the course commencing end of this month. But i wasn't too put out-figured i'd just save and be ready for next one. As regards expierience i spent 4 years in the Fire Service and succesfully completed the EFR course through DFB.
    So i'm just wondering now am i wasting 2.5K doing the course if i'm never going to be able to be an EMT because i don't have a leaving cert!? Is it just working through the HSE i wouldn't be able to do because of that or are there any other options open to me?

P.s lost track of thread by page 19 so i'm not sure whose made it or who hasn't! But to anyone in the middle of it or waiting on it best of luck! ;)

Hi 400R

I agree with you about not knowing what you want to do when your 18 and doing a leaving Cert.
    If you do the EMT course in will stand to you in any job you go for.
    But i think if your really really want to be a paramedic you would nt let anything stop you..... and you go back and get your leaving, ! (just my opinion)

anybody? anything? rumours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ebbies

Exactly! Anyone any info?? Did interview last May, on panel waiting to be called. Getting a bit antsy, as was on a panel that was scrapped/terminated after a year had passed! No calls, letters, anything to let us know what the hell is going on or if & when training might begin. Starting to feel like I have applied for a job for bloody MI5

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Heard this evening there will be no more classes this year :mad: No money
    Came from a tutor in one of the colleges.
    Then again until you hear it from the horses mouth, you d never know !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭youneverknow

anybody? anything? rumours?
    i think i have more chance on winning the lotto, and when i do barbados is where i am going ha ha ha

not looking good at all. I wonder is it that they have no money or is it that they have given into UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

Hi guys took this from a paper called Waterford Today
    Statement: HSE affirms commitment to National Ambulance Service
    While awaiting confirmation of the outcome of today's ballot, the HSE has re-affirmed its commitment to the development and expansion of the National Ambulance Service. Any suggestion of the HSE moving to privatise the National Ambulance Service is mischievous and untrue.
    As a number of different private contracts had existed under the former health board regime, the HSE was obliged to initiate a tendering competition under EU regulations. This would also guarantee patient safety, quality of service and a standardised approach.
    It should be noted that this tender and the total work of the private companies represents less than four per cent of the total budget of the National Ambulance Service. It refers in the main to the transportation of patients - not emergency call outs.
    However, the HSE is willing to continue the discussions with the representative bodies around this issue that were initiated in May last year. At that time a partnership sub group was established with a view to developing a National Framework Agreement on the role and function of private ambulance companies.
    The HSE met with union representatives on six occasions in relation to this specific issue and is open to meet again to address ongoing issues. The HSE however, was obliged to go ahead with the tender process as to defer would have compromised patient safety. The tender process has now allowed for the HSE to standardise these transportation services and guarantee patient safety.
    The HSE is committed to the ongoing expansion and development of the National Ambulance Service. Over the past twelve months, the HSE has made significant investment in the expansion of the National Ambulance fleet, the development of ambulance bases, the recruitment of Emergency Medical Technicians and the ongoing training of staff. This development will continue with planned recruitment and the development and ongoing education of ambulance staff, along with the development of ambulance bases over the coming years.
    Speaking today, Mr Frank McClintock, Head of the National Ambulance Service said: "The HSE is totally committed to the development of the National Ambulance Service. The private companies represent a very small part of the work we do - our expenditure of less than 4% of our total budget clearly demonstrates this. In the main their work is focused on the transportation of patients rather than emergency call outs. We need our highly qualified and emergency personnel for emergency work. However, we also need to transport patients and we need to ensure the safety of those patients. But I would stress that we have met with the unions several times in relation to this issue and we continue to be open to meeting again to discuss their concerns."
    the transportation of patients rather than emergency call outs. We need our highly qualified and emergency personnel for emergency work. However, we also need to transport patients and we need to ensure the safety of those patients. But I would stress that we have met with the unions several times in relation to this issue and we continue to be open to meeting again to discuss their concerns."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 COS1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 emthopeful

Hi Guys

I'm doing the next EMT course with the IATI starting feb 1st . I was just wondering if anyone else has done this course , what's it like, how long it will be , and if work is guaranteed at the end of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭5500

There's a thread with more info on the particular course somewhere in the ES forum.
    But to answer you questions I've done it, I found it very good, 4 weeks classroom and 1 weeks placement (mine was in a&e) I didnt do it in the hope of looking for employment but if thats your sole reason i'd put it to bed fairly quick and forget about it.

There's so many emt's passing thru now that the private companys can pick at will, and they even seem to be leaning more towards paramedics as opposed to emt's now so id say the chances of work are next to none

emthopeful wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I'm doing the next EMT course with the IATI starting feb 1st . I was just wondering if anyone else has done this course , what's it like, how long it will be , and if work is guaranteed at the end of it?

I did the course last year with the hope of finding employment. I'm still looking. Anyone I know who did the course from last year on is still looking for work. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there are no jobs for EMTs in this country at the moment.

I've heard a figure of over 800 EMTs now on the register.

Hmm interesting , typical of our government. I heard today off a frend of mine who's a paramedic, that the EMT grade is being phased out next year , is this true

I dont know but absolutely nothing, nothing would surprise me now. I would not be too shocked if the got all the ambulances, staff and panel members into a big field somewhere in Leitrim, piled them up and set fire to the lot while they danced around us naked.

We will see what happens. All we can do is wait. The HSE staff I am sure dont want to mess anyone about but they can only do as they are asked and there is only so much cash. All we can do is wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

emthopeful wrote: »
    Hmm interesting , typical of our government. I heard today off a frend of mine who's a paramedic, that the EMT grade is being phased out next year , is this true
    Unless you hear it officially.. it is merely rumored to be happening.

Hi Guys

Starting the EMT course in Portlaoish tommorow, is anyone else doing this course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 medicfar

how did you get on today will it be worth the fees do you think
    and who is the course with
    and please keep us imformed

The course is broken into two parts , the CFR and the EMT . Yesterday we did our CFR certification which went well. The course instructor Catherine was brilliant , I was the only person in the class who hadn't done the EFR , but i was able to keep up fine , and pass all my mcq's at th end . We start the EMT training this morning , so i'll keep you updated on it . The training is done with the IATI.

Is there anybody out there????:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 leemed

Hi dubdubdub is it time for us to forget about 09 panel and start again

Well we've finished the CFR , and it went very well. This week we started on Patient Assesment , Vital Signs , and the cardio vascular system , and just started ECG's . It's a very interesting course , requires alot of study , which i don't mind putting in the effort for . The tutors are all sound aswell.

As for last years panel, if they haven't started by June / July i think it is . The HSE will scrap it. What a bunch of b****** though , i'm really not hearing good things about them , it seems they have their heads shoved firmy up their a**** when it comes to pre hospital emergency care .

Take it with a pinch of salt if you will but my friend whos on a dublin course at the moment was told by the director of nasc that there is a recruitment planned for the end of march/start of april and that it looks as if the current panel will be disolved.

It must be a horrible position to be in if your waiting on the panel, as i said take it as hear say if you will be it came from the horses mouth so to speak

eireal wrote: »
    Take it with a pinch of salt if you will but my friend whos on a dublin course at the moment was told by the director of nasc that there is a recruitment planned for the end of march/start of april and that it looks as if the current panel will be disolved.

It must be a horrible position to be in if your waiting on the panel, as i said take it as hear say if you will be it came from the horses mouth so to speak

I have heard the same. recruitment for May. Can those of us waiting on the panel reapply? Surely we can??

I was also told future recruitment will involve a driving test (even if you have C1 and D1), leaving cert and possibly a physical test (similar to gardai but easier, which is grand as the gardai fitness test isnt the most difficult anyway). That may not be 100% correct but nothing would surprise me now.

DUBDUBDUB wrote: »
    I have heard the same. recruitment for May. Can those of us waiting on the panel reapply? Surely we can??

I was also told future recruitment will involve a driving test (even if you have C1 and D1), leaving cert and possibly a physical test (similar to gardai but easier, which is grand as the gardai fitness test isnt the most difficult anyway). That may not be 100% correct but nothing would surprise me now.

I wouldn't be surprised. It's about time these came in anyway, it's the same in the UK but fitness tests are akin to those joining the fire brigade. You have to be really fit. Driving tests are required in several ambulance trusts aswell.

Now if only I had my C1 and D1!

Just to add to what they were told, fitness and driving tests to also be brought in for the next recruitment, and also only C1 licence required at time of aptitude test.

There was also a warning given re leaving cert results and the situation with ucd, aparently they are very picky about equivalency of courses completed too.

I wouldnt be suprised if this year sees the most applications ever, Even my own friends who would have worked in construction ect and are out of work now have a sudden intrest in becoming paramedics!

Just to add to what they were told, fitness and driving tests to also be brought in for the next recruitment, and also only C1 licence required at time of aptitude test.

There was also a warning given re leaving cert results and the situation with ucd, aparently they are very picky about equivalency of courses completed too.

I wouldnt be suprised if this year sees the most applications ever, Even my own friends who would have worked in construction ect and are out of work now have a sudden intrest in becoming paramedics!

Do we now if it would be the same leaving cert equivalent as the Gardai?? I have the required for them but no higher I am afraid.

Just a quick question, could you define what you mean about equivalency of courses? Do you mean overseas equivalent of leaving cert?? Ta

Im not familiar with the gaurds leaving cert but she told me it was something like 5passes and one of them must be a science based subject ie biology.

On equivalancy I mean courses done here. Eg if someone hadnt done the leaving cert but had their nqemt would it suffice as equivalant to the LC, he said that he was unsure if the Nqemt would suffice on its own but told her that the course she is doing *should* count as an equivalant but he was trying to obtain written confirmation from ucd on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 COS1

Im not familiar with the gaurds leaving cert but she told me it was something like 5passes and one of them must be a science based subject ie biology.

On equivalancy I mean courses done here. Eg if someone hadnt done the leaving cert but had their nqemt would it suffice as equivalant to the LC, he said that he was unsure if the Nqemt would suffice on its own but told her that the course she is doing *should* count as an equivalant but he was trying to obtain written confirmation from ucd on that.

Hi, Could you PM me the name of the course she is doing? Thank You

• Advertisement

Eireal you mentioned only a C1 licence requirement to apply, did you hear anything about the D1? Is that no longer a requirement at all? I understand this is all speculation though.

FYI a Fetac Level 5 cert is equivalent to a leaving cert. Most PLC courses are at least this level.

Advertisement