Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HSE EMT interviews 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭5500

He said only C1 for to sit the aptitude test, No mention of the D1 being scrapped alltogether unless they are givin a grace period untill your training is finished to obtain it?

Afaik the LC is equivalant to level 4, so with a full fetac level 5 you'd think you'd be ok, but then again i'd say they may be wondering as to why no leaving cert had been completed

They were also told about another recruitment for "intermediate care assistants" basically EMT's solely for pts work but no timeline for recruitment was specified nor did he say if they were taking on current EMT's or Joe Soap and training them to EMT.

I know they have him in for a lecture next week so maby abit more information will come to light then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 2bemt

Hi All,
    Just to add what I have heard.
    Have been told that the current panel will see some movement over next short while. The month of May will see some classes start. Upto around the 70s to be taken on by September.

There are no plans of yet to start an other recruitment due to lack of funding. The current panel may be extened beyond September 2010.
    It means waiting, even if anew panel was started I imagine that theurrent panel members would move to the top of the next panel, as has been done before.

We wont really know what will happen until it actually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

Hey guys was talking to paramedics yesterday about the whole leaving cert thing one said he hadn't heard anything and the other said he heard a "rumour" about it and laughed saying next thing you will see is UCD having the paramedic course on the CAO applications

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

bringing this back to life again...anyone? anything?

Doesnt look like there will be an april start anyway, Anybody been talking to manorhamilton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

k_d wrote: »
    bringing this back to life again...anyone? anything?

Doesnt look like there will be an april start anyway, Anybody been talking to manorhamilton?
    I havent heard anything..Who is Manorhamilton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Elessar

I've been hearing aswell that all training for the rest of the year is cancelled. New recruitment starting april/may, more difficult interview process, leaving cert required. Also they are considering using a bursary fund instead of paying trainees a wage through the next recruitment phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭MN_Medic

It's a case of, At least we tried, in my eyes. Looks like all the effort put in to get a panel placement was a waste of time. Hopefully we'll hear something finite soon and put it behind us. Glum I know!:(

It would be handy if someone would let people know what exactly is going on so people are not in a permanent state of limbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 leemed

Hi all
    The last day when i spoke to HR in manorhamilton, they said letters would be sent out end off feb to let us know what is hapening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fire emt

Well I suppose thats it then. Its all over. I for one will not give up though. I'm gonna train in the North, or England (Wales & Scotland included of course) or the States or where-ever. If you have really decided that being a Paramedic is really your course in life, then get up off your butt and do something about it. Stop waiting for the H.S.E. to come knocking. Your only wasting time. Its time to move on ! .... I'm outta here :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 flashin blues

Hi everyone! This is my first post on boards.ie But im a long term reader. Like most of u i've been tryin for the past few years to get onto the emt panel with the HSE but every time they advertise a new recruitment campaign there's a new hurdle for me :( between gettin my c1 & d1 and the aptitude test, i started to get the feeling that maybe i was wastin my time. But i put my head down and got on with it and now i've heard that theyve thrown the leaving cert into it just incase it wasnt hard enough to get in :eek: can anyone please tell me if this is true cause no one seems to know for sure not even manorhamilton.If this is the case anyone who doesnt have a leavin cert (me bein one) will have to go back and do it which will take at least another year after sept.. Has anyone any advice please?

vert quite in here.....any news or rumours...!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 emthopeful

I was talking to one of my instructors for the emt course , and he reckons that if you have the emt done , it will be taken over the leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 flashin blues

Hi EMThopeful,I was talking to an ambulance officer in my area and he was telling me that he was jus back from a metting in dublin the day before and that the whole mettin was about the leaving cert.He rekons that the rule is def comin in and even the qualified paramedics who dont have a leaving cert who wish to go on for the Advance paramedics will have to go back to school and do the leaving in their own spare time. This only applies to those who wish to go on for AP'S, if this is true and you do what u were sayin and do the emt course, pass your interview and get on the panel this would mean that you couldnt go on for the AP stage later on if u wanted to. This is only what i've been told, interested in hearin if anyone else heard the same or even different.. I'm thinking of going back and doing the leaving (try anyway). Anyone else on same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭youneverknow

2bemt wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Just to add what I have heard.
    Have been told that the current panel will see some movement over next short while. The month of May will see some classes start. Upto around the 70s to be taken on by September.

There are no plans of yet to start an other recruitment due to lack of funding. The current panel may be extened beyond September 2010.
    It means waiting, even if anew panel was started I imagine that theurrent panel members would move to the top of the next panel, as has been done before.

We wont really know what will happen until it actually happens.

i like thinking like what is in this message, so people stay positve no one knows for sure whats going to happen, look on the bright side ye got this far;)

leemed wrote: »
    Hi all
    The last day when i spoke to HR in manorhamilton, they said letters would be sent out end off feb to let us know what is hapening.
    So guys its the 10th of March has anyone got letters from manorhamilton to explain what is going on???:confused:

so those on the panel got the email then.

what yee reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 COS1

k_d wrote: »
    so those on the panel got the email then.

what yee reckon?

Good or bad news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 medicfar

bad for me i,ll never be called before then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭MN_Medic

Basically we have been told to sit tight as something may or may not happen.:confused: At least we got some contact, allbeit not the e-mail I would have liked to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭youneverknow

COS1 wrote: »
    Good or bad news?

the way i look at it is, with all the scandal about the way the hse is being run do you think they will want more questions being thrown at them? like why are ye wasting money abolishing one panel and holding interviews for another, lads it costs alot of money for the hse to hold interviews in the first place, i cant see them pulling out of this panel just after taking one class, they will have too much to answer to. thats my two cent anyway, critisize me if you want . thats my opinion. i am still thinking positive. the show isnt over till the fat lady sings........and mary harney is in new zealand for now ha ha ha ha

the way i look at it is, with all the scandal about the way the hse is being run do you think they will want more questions being thrown at them? like why are ye wasting money abolishing one panel and holding interviews for another, lads it costs alot of money for the hse to hold interviews in the first place, i cant see them pulling out of this panel just after taking one class,

Thats what i am thinking also
    the show isnt over till the fat lady sings........and mary harney is in new zealand for now ha ha ha ha

Nice one!!

It was manorhamilton, and it may as well said...(We dont know anything, stop calling us.)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DUBDUBDUB

I keep being told that they are going to recruit again in april/may. Now, I dont know what to think. An email telling us that no decision has been made one way or another is really of no help whatsoever.

I would rather be put out of my misery thanks very much. As for Harney, I hope that trolls weight brings the plane down on the return leg. best crash into the sea though, would not want to be on an island with her. might get munched!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

DUBDUBDUB wrote: »
    As for Harney, I hope that trolls weight brings the plane down on the return leg. best crash into the sea though, would not want to be on an island with her. might get munched!

Mature much? Just remember this will be here for decades, might comback to bite you in the ass someday

maglite wrote: »
    Mature much? Just remember this will be here for decades, might comback to bite you in the ass someday

Dear Christ, someones touchy. Look, its a joke. not a very funny one admittedly but a joke nevertheless. As for the comment being here for decades, I can pretty much guarantee you that that will be way longer than Mary will be here for if she keeps going the same way.Minister for Health????

Now thats a joke!

As for maturity, she would do well by exhibiting some and getting her ass back here to sort out the health service, or even better resign as the job seems beyond her capabilities. That really would be mature, a FF politician standing up and doing the right thing.

OK, enough going off thread. Now, whos hopeful that we will get called and who thinks there is more chance of Mary resigning this week??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

She's now an Independent Failure as opposed to a Fianna Failure, to be fair it would be crediting her with some level of accountability to say that she is responsible for the lack of recruitment or information around it.

Hopefully there will be some sort of movement soon, I'm sure the uncertainty has to be torturous.

oh yeah, forgot about that sorry! the minister for Health doesnt even have a party. Another joke. boom boom!!

Hi EMThopeful,I was talking to an ambulance officer in my area and he was telling me that he was jus back from a metting in dublin the day before and that the whole mettin was about the leaving cert.He rekons that the rule is def comin in and even the qualified paramedics who dont have a leaving cert who wish to go on for the Advance paramedics will have to go back to school and do the leaving in their own spare time. This only applies to those who wish to go on for AP'S, if this is true and you do what u were sayin and do the emt course, pass your interview and get on the panel this would mean that you couldnt go on for the AP stage later on if u wanted to. This is only what i've been told, interested in hearin if anyone else heard the same or even different.. I'm thinking of going back and doing the leaving (try anyway). Anyone else on same boat?

Was talking to an AP, and he told me that there is noway Paramedics wil be expected to resit their leaving cert to become AP's , and also he was telling me that but dont quote me , the EMT will be taken instead of leaving cert

Mary Harney is a disgrace to the HSE , people are dying because Paramedics are understaffed , yet there are hundreds of registered EMT's who are currently unemployed , who cold greatly help the workload . Also it is an absoloute disgrace , that people went through all stages of application for Paramedic Training , and now may have to go through the whole proceess again, and are being told nothing. How Mary Harney can hold her head high in public is beyond me .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

emthopeful wrote: »
    Mary Harney is a disgrace to the HSE , people are dying because Paramedics are understaffed , yet there are hundreds of registered EMT's who are currently unemployed , who cold greatly help the workload . Also it is an absoloute disgrace , that people went through all stages of application for Paramedic Training , and now may have to go through the whole proceess again, and are being told nothing. How Mary Harney can hold her head high in public is beyond me .

emts' cant staff emergency ambulances. in any case i dont think a 5 week emt course with 1 week practical placements qualifies someone to work frontline.....
    however emts's doing PTS should be brought in straight away! that would ease some strain i guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 emtlfc

I've seen approx ten brand spankin new pts vehicles in merc on the long mile road. Maybe these are for the interim care operations that has been in the pipeline for some time?? I heard EMT's will be used for the interim care (pts) operations.

emtlfc wrote: »
    I've seen approx ten brand spankin new pts vehicles in merc on the long mile road. Maybe these are for the interim care operations that has been in the pipeline for some time?? I heard EMT's will be used for the interim care (pts) operations.

I'm hoping for this too. How did you know they were PTS ambulances? I've heard rumors that the HSE is splitting frontline and PTS work for a few years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 emtlfc

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm hoping for this too. How did you know they were PTS ambulances? I've heard rumors that the HSE is splitting frontline and PTS work for a few years now.

It has it in writing on the side, PATIENT TRANSPORT VEHICLE. I was told by a reliable source last year that the HSE were buying pts vehicles and they would be using EMT's to crew these, looks like he was correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fire emt

Frank McClintock is GONE ..... All might now change:D

http://www.independent.ie/health/latest-news/ambulance-service-boss-quits-after-petrol-cash-probe-2112572.html

Lulz, if taking bribes from Ferno wasn't enough, he was abusing the HSE fuel card. Good riddance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 COS1

People like him are the reason the country is the way it is, the sooner these completely corrupt people with influence are weeded out the better the country will be for all of us.

fire emt wrote: »
    Frank McClintock is GONE ..... All might now change:D

I think chances are slim to tell you the truth.

Unless they can use some of the money Mr Mclintock has allegedly been squirreling away over the years to put towards taking on some staff!

hope people not giving up?

anyone got any news?

k

Helloooooo!!! Anybody? I am in serious need of random rumours, straws to clutch etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

a certain ambulance chief told us a few weeks ago there was meant to be a class for april but obviously that was cancelled. he hadnt heard anything else though..... il keep my fingers crossed for you guys!

• Advertisement

heard dublin are ready to take a class in august, which means not enough time to recruit new panel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

emthopeful wrote: »
    Can you provide Proof that people are dying.. i.e. Links to reports and actual research? Thanks.

This country is in shit at the moment, there is no money left to fund the hiring of additional EMT's to ambulances. Unemployed EMTs are of absolutely no use to emergency ambulances. The EMTs that are currently still hanging around, are the EMTs who have been in there a very long time, and have experience.

Besides, hiring EMTs to ambulances will only put the service back a few years. The idea is that all emergency ambulances are staffed by Paramedics, not EMTs, as it was a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

DUBDUBDUB wrote: »
    Helloooooo!!! Anybody? I am in serious need of random rumours, straws to clutch etc

Might as well head to mcdonalds if you want straws to clutch.

If you are interested in rumors though, there are rumors floating that certain private places will be hosting private Paramedic courses in the near future, for EMTs with experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

has anyone here had any contact with regard to the panel for emt, has it been extended? I am in the same boat as alot of the folks here, i was placed on a panel for the emc role, got the mail requesting the expression of interest, then a few days later got another mail to say all was frozen, i would appreciate any info

The current Paramedic panel is due to expire at the end of this month, has anyone heard if it is being extended? Or disbanded?

heard it was being extended....should know in a couple of days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 medicfar

it,s another let down by the irish healthcare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 iron_man

yes i think it will be extended and according to HR we should be getting a letter explaining whats going on by next week! so just hold on another little bit and keep the heads up and see what this letter has to say, hopefully it will put some light on the whole situation. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 2bemt

Hi All,
    I have also heard that it will be extended.
    Leaving Cert may still be required for this panel.
    Lets see what happens over the next few days.

It would make way too much sense to extend the panel. Waaay too much sense.

Well, i have officially given up folks. even if they somehow say it will be extended I dont think they will take on trainees for a good while. e.g. another year or so.

Sorry to be so bleak everyone but thats pretty much the way i feel.

Bleak

• Advertisement
Advertisement