Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help badly!

Options
  • 03-03-2009 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My laptop charger has just died and I can't afford a new one. I desperately rely on my laptop for numerous things, including FYP, so if anyone has a spare universal laptop charger, or a Compaq charger please let me know. If you want to volunteer to fix it that's also great. The cable to the adapter has split and is emitting green sparks when I move it. :(

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks!

Ergo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Ouch....unfortunately there isn't really such a thing as a universal laptop charger, companies have a habit of sticking proprietry connections on the end that goes into the back of your laptop.

What you could try is cutting the cable in half, stripping a small bit of insulation of both ends and then joining the ends with something like this:

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=4895177#header

Not something to try unless you're comfortable with doing mad stuff with electricity :)

You could try posting up a picture of the connector too and also the output voltage of the transformer and see if someone that has something that will work for you. Another powersupply with the correct connecter should be fine if the output voltage on that transformer is the same as the one you currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Is it the end between the adapter and the laptop or the end between the adapter and the socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

rmacm wrote: »
    Ouch....unfortunately there isn't really such a thing as a universal laptop charger, companies have a habit of sticking proprietry connections on the end that goes into the back of your laptop.

You should tell PC World and Harvey Norman that cause they're selling them for nearly €100
    Polar Ice wrote: »
    Is it the end between the adapter and the laptop or the end between the adapter and the socket?

It's the end between the adapter and the laptop. The bit going into the adapter is the bit that is causing the trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Hey, one of my housemates has a universal charger.

I'll ask him for you, it'll be tomorrow before I know though.

Best of luck otherwise - this isn't your week technology-wise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

ergonomics wrote: »
    You should tell PC World and Harvey Norman that cause they're selling them for nearly €100

They're usually fixed voltage jobbies with a few different connecters you can attach to the end of it. Not quite universal (or at least what counts as universal in my mind).

Depending on how old the laptop is and what kind of connector it has you might get away with using a HP laptop power supply as HP own Compaq so some of the accessories like power supplies may be interchangable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

If you still need one come Monday let me know, I might be able to help you out.

Advertisement