Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony VX1000 vs VX2000

Options
  • 03-03-2009 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't sure where to put this, move it if needs be. :)

So, i want to sort myself out with a nice video camera for recording skateboarding/bmxing and the likes.
    What has me though, is i can not find any adds for either camera, so i haven't a clue how much i could get one for these days.
    If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

AND
    If anyone has experience with these two camera's and has an opinion on them, i'd love to hear that.
    From what i gather, the VX1000 is better for everything bar night shots and editing?

Any info would be great, and if ya dont have any, then thanks for taking the time to read this at least.

Thanks,
    Cian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hi video peeps,

Perhaps you'd be able to assist with this query? If not the right spot then send back over to photography,

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Cheers for the move, Any one got info? :)

Sorry to bump, but has any one ANY info?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

what, this vx10000? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_DCR-VX1000

it's nearly 14years old - no wonder you can't get a price on one, i'd be surprised if any still exist or work correctly.

It is an old camera, but they are still going around second hand, i've been watching new video's online of people still using these, so obviously they are still working. As long as you take care of something, it will last as long as you let it.

Old doesn't mean bad/out of use. They are still one of the more favorable cameras for filiming skateboarding and such.

I know all of this, what i need is info on editing the tapes or if any one knows where i could pick one up, obviously not first hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dude, its Mini DV, and its that size??? Dunno why you'd bother with it. Take 200 quid, go to Harvy Norman/Argos/Anywhere and get the same thing is a much smaller package. Fisheye is like 30 online depending on model and make.

In either case, you'll need a firewire port to start with. From there, and editing suite.

Dude, its Mini DV, and its that size??? Dunno why you'd bother with it. Take 200 quid, go to Harvy Norman/Argos/Anywhere and get the same thing is a much smaller package.

200quid to get a 3chip camera from Harvy Norman/Argos?? good luck.

as for the op, if your just looking for a standard def camera - sony pd150/170 or canon xm2

Well the xm2 is out of my price range.
    I've heard good things about the pd150 though, do you reckon i could pick one up second hand for 1k or less?

I'd definitely be open to getting one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

The current incarnation of the vx-1000 is the HVR-Z1, but its well out of your range I'd say.
    I'm suprised you can't find and 2nd hand vx1000's! They used to be everywhere(almost 10 years ago though) so they have to be somewhere!
    The other popular pro miniDV camera around then was the Canon XL-1. Have a search for that one too. It was a great camera.

If your budget is around the 1k mark you might consider getting a High Def HD camera instead. No messing with tape! I'm sure there are some decent ones for that price around.

Could i get a decent HD camera for 1k?
    One's i've been looking at seem to start at around 2.5k, i know their are obviously the cheaper ones but i've been told the tapes can be far better quality than some of the lower range of HD cameras?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

CianRyan wrote: »
    Could i get a decent HD camera for 1k?
    One's i've been looking at seem to start at around 2.5k, i know their are obviously the cheaper ones but i've been told the tapes can be far better quality than some of the lower range of HD cameras?

What are you going to do with the videos?

Are they for retail DVD's or do you need it to be broadcast quality for TV?

If so then you will need to spend about 3-4 grand on a Sony Z1 or similar 3chip HDV format camera (SD is dead!). Even HDV is not accepted now by some production houses as it is not "Full HD". If you do want to go Full HD then you are looking at coughing up at least 6 grand (and that's before you buy any batteries or recording media).

If you are just going to show you & your mates skating on You Tube or My Space or any other type of web outlet then don't bother buying a pro camera because most, if not all, of the quality will be lost in compression and the viewer won't be able to tell if your camera cost 100 euro or 5000 euro.

The camera is only the start of it, for skating you need a decent wide or fish angle lens, spare batteries & tape stock. If you decide you might want to include some interviews in your videos then you will also need to think about a tripod and external mic.

So, think about what you will do with the footage first.

PD150's are a great camera, tough as old boots, nice picture and you can pick a used one at a decent price as most PD owners have switched to HD.

As pointed out by another poster, the little hard drive cameras are worth a look, I have one myself as my emergency back up and it is great, but the hard drives are quite sensitive and won't take too many knocks & bashes. If you knock a hard drive camera while recording it will stop, a tape based camera is much more shock resistant and you can continue filming.

Also, what are you editing on? Just keep in mind that for a mini-DV camera such as the PD150 you will need a firewire (or i-link as Sony call them) port on your computer.

The smaller one chip AVCHD camcorders transfer via USB.

decob wrote: »

LOL :D

If that's the case, I'll take 10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

decob wrote: »

as for the op, if your just looking for a standard def camera - sony pd150/170 or canon xm2

I really just showed how amateur I really am :p I didnt realise it was 3CCD. Even still, I cant imagine that being very practical for running around after skaters.

In any case, why do you need HD, you planning on burning blu-ray or similar?

I really just showed how amateur I really am :p I didnt realise it was 3CCD. Even still, I cant imagine that being very practical for running around after skaters.

q 3chip camera will give a better picture - mainly noticeable in the colours. Basically it assigns one chip to capture each of the RGB colour values. a 1chip captures one of the rgb colour vals and interperates the other 2. The size of the ccd also makes a huge difference.
    In any case, why do you need HD, you planning on burning blu-ray or similar?

Why not? he's future proofing himself. Plus youtube, vimeo all accpet and show hd clips now. The sooner more people get on the HD bandwagon the better.

Plus even if he only ever plans to make some dvds from the footage - captureing it in HD (hdv) will also make a huge differenent. I've had stuff before when one camera was a canon xm2 or gl2 (standard def - 3chip jobbie) the other camera was a hv20 - hdv, cmos chip, high end consumer camera. When the hdv footage was donconverted to SD it was sharper and had a better colour to it. So yeah, go hd (hdv)

keefg wrote: »
    What are you going to do with the videos?

Are they for retail DVD's or do you need it to be broadcast quality for TV?

If so then you will need to spend about 3-4 grand on a Sony Z1 or similar 3chip HDV format camera (SD is dead!). Even HDV is not accepted now by some production houses as it is not "Full HD". If you do want to go Full HD then you are looking at coughing up at least 6 grand (and that's before you buy any batteries or recording media).

If you are just going to show you & your mates skating on You Tube or My Space or any other type of web outlet then don't bother buying a pro camera because most, if not all, of the quality will be lost in compression and the viewer won't be able to tell if your camera cost 100 euro or 5000 euro.

The camera is only the start of it, for skating you need a decent wide or fish angle lens, spare batteries & tape stock. If you decide you might want to include some interviews in your videos then you will also need to think about a tripod and external mic.

So, think about what you will do with the footage first.

PD150's are a great camera, tough as old boots, nice picture and you can pick a used one at a decent price as most PD owners have switched to HD.

As pointed out by another poster, the little hard drive cameras are worth a look, I have one myself as my emergency back up and it is great, but the hard drives are quite sensitive and won't take too many knocks & bashes. If you knock a hard drive camera while recording it will stop, a tape based camera is much more shock resistant and you can continue filming.

Also, what are you editing on? Just keep in mind that for a mini-DV camera such as the PD150 you will need a firewire (or i-link as Sony call them) port on your computer.

The smaller one chip AVCHD camcorders transfer via USB.

Well, my love of skate video's has been turning into an obsession lately, i am noticing myself getting more interested in the light/angles/techiques used to capture the trick in hand, than the trick its self.
    I would love to some day make a carrier(sp?) out of this, but for now its just a hobby. A fair few of my mates are progressing to the stage they are looking to get sponcered, and of course, for this, "sponcer me" tapes are needed.

I have experience with handy cams and such, but the shape of the camera makes it terrible for recording, the mics can not cope with the fast moving wind as i skate while filming and the picture quality just isn't going to cut it.

So for now, i'm really just taking the next step in a direction, i would LOVE a full HD camera, but at the moment, i'm doing my leaving cert and am currently unemployed, so what little money i get, i've been putting some of it away for this and verius other projects. The first to spring to my mind was the VX1k/VX2K as they have a long lived pedegry in skate boarding filmography, and they are still wildy used and respected as one of the best camera's for filming skateboarding. As there are much higher quility camera's around now, i figured i could get one somewhere in the region of €600-€1000 depending on the condition.

One of my mates has a one of the smaller hard drive hd cameras, i'm not very fond of what comes off it, for other things sure, but not for skating.

Thats pretty much it, if it helps to add anything?

What has been said so far has been great lads, thanks a bundle.

OK so you don't need a full HD camera and I agree with you, a small camcorder is no good for you because you need something with a handle on top to enable you to get those low shots.

With regards to wind noise, all you need to get is a dead cat for the mic and that will sort that out.

This linky is the package for you.

Tough, great picture and cheap tapes.

Oh wow, that looks like a great deal. :eek:

I'm still in the saving stage, other wise i'd be making a bid. :(

I'm going to keep an eye on it to see what it ends up going for, thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

keefg wrote: »
    With regards to wind noise, all you need to get is a dead cat for the mic and that will sort that out.

Or a wind sock/ wind jammer! Jaysus never heard to 'em refered to as a dead cat!:D
    http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310106467321&indexURL=

Yeah, go old school and reliable with the PD150. Plus, its DVCAM. It is essentially a dvcam vx1000 isnt it?
    But don't write off getting a newer, more portable, hard drive based camera.
    Weigh up the positives and negatives.
    You should be able to get a portable 3chip (cmos, not ccd) 100+gb camera for around your budget. The quality of some of them is quite stunning.

Advertisement