Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ante-natal classes

• 03-03-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

on the 31th of March at my second ante-natal class in Rotunda. My question is about how many of these classes my boyfriend should be present? I'm asking you because, for example at the first class, they let all the partners going back at home or waiting in the waiting room. In order to avoid to waste my partner's time, I would like, above all from who has already done these classes, to know which classes he must be present and which he shouldn't.
    Thanks all;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Its four years since I attended the classes and it was in Sligo, but partners only had to come to the class where we got a tour of the labour ward. Some fathers did attend the other classes and they weren't put out of the room, but that was the only one they told us to bring the partner to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Can I ask why the partners were put out of the room?

I did my classes in H Street; they had sets of classes just for mothers, for those who didn't want/ couldn't have their partners there, and then sets of couples classes, where the father/ birth partner was encouraged to come along, and there was interesting bits for them in each class. They often asked more questions than the expectant mothers! It was good for my husband to learn about the stages of labour, how to help etc... he probably learnt more from the classes than I, as I had read a lot online and in books.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We attended our first ante natal class in HS yesterday, lets just say, I know all about breast feeding, all about how expectant mums can use stretching to alleviate their pains and how to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles.

Not much interaction from the other lads in the audience...

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

I rang to book ante-natal classes in CUMH about 2 weeks ago and I was told they were booked out so now I have to go private. Has anyone done them privately before? Is there a difference? I've no problem paying for them, just not sure what to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭spupazza

The reason why they were sent back, I think, was because the expectant mothers were a lot. Imagine that some mothers were sent back too (the class started at 10.00 a.m. and those mothers that arrived at 10.00 were sent back), the room was too small for all.
    Perhaps because it was the first class, every mothers were invited to participate and we were more than the room was capable to keep, but probably the next classes there won't be this problem, may be because they have split us in groups.
    I hope so!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

I have the last of 3 classes tomorrow with my wife on our firt child in CUMH - to be honest out of the 15 or so mothers to be at least 12 of them had their partners in both the last 2 classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    I have the last of 3 classes tomorrow with my wife on our firt child in CUMH - to be honest out of the 15 or so mothers to be at least 12 of them had their partners in both the last 2 classes.

What were the classes in CUMH like? I'm really disappointed they're booked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

myself and my wife are doing a full day antenatal class on sat.

Its in a hotel in Leixlip and the woman that does it is supposed to be on TV regularly.

Cost is €200 from 8 til 4..

heres the link
    http://www.doreenbuckley.ie/

Cant wait:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

we went and found classes very informative. Nurses are very friendly and approachable. They went through everything in great detail re labour etc ... Group discussion was allowed which was very beneficial as pregnancies were compared. I really enjoyed them.... the class i went to was in the consultants office at very back of cuh - not the cumh wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

As a Dad to be - They were good enough but you didn't miss anything major - TBH most of the stuff can be read online and we were aware of most of the stuff - I actually thought the best bit was the tour of the hospital !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Sixx

Going to Rotunda but have not heard great reviews of it's or any of the other of the hospital's classes, esp as there are no one day courses... so doing some surfing and was wondering if anyone has any experience of the 2as1 classes, they're done in Clontarf Castle (and Trim Castle) a one day intensive course, its near enough to us so would really suit but would love to get some feedback before booking if anyone has any experience of them... or any other north Dublin one day classes... ta in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Sixx

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

I had my first class in Rotunda 2 weeks ago.My hubby was with me.When I asked secretary can he come with me, she told me it's only for mums.

When I was in class, the physiotherapist was wondering why we didn't bring our partners. Nevertheless I really liked the classes- they are great! As I don't my mum living with me, I'm happy to be explained many things I didn't know before...

The midwife told to bring partner on 4 and 5 th class.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭spupazza

Thank you Happy09!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

spupazza wrote: »
    Thank you Happy09!

You are welcome!:D

Advertisement