Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying phones abroad

• 03-03-2009 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hey,

Just curious, I'm gonna be in the UK next week and was hoping to pick up a new phone not available in Ireland, just wondering can I unlock and use an Irish sim in it? And gonna be in China the following week and was hoping to do the same there if I spotted something cool. So basically I'm just wondering can I buy a phone abroad, unlock it and use it here? I'm obviously not very tech savvy!

Any replies appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

yes but you are better off just buying one thats already unlocked. new phones are sometimes hard to unlock and come with pesky branded firmware. you can get rid of the branding but it might be a pain in the hole depending on the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Buzz Buzz wrote: »
    Hey,

Just curious, I'm gonna be in the UK next week and was hoping to pick up a new phone not available in Ireland, just wondering can I unlock and use an Irish sim in it? And gonna be in China the following week and was hoping to do the same there if I spotted something cool. So basically I'm just wondering can I buy a phone abroad, unlock it and use it here? I'm obviously not very tech savvy!

Any replies appreciated. Thanks!
    What phone(s) did you have in mind?

Advertisement