Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prof. Michael Gilchrist

Options
  • 03-03-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hey, i'm a final year engineering student in university of ulster, and have a meeting with the external examiner for my course tomorrow (i'm a bit late in thinking of this but better late than never) and this is who it is- Prof. michael gilchrist, just wondering if anyone knows what he's like. i know that he teaches statics and strength of materials or something similar and has his interests in composite materials- so we were told. it would be good to know what he'll be like before i go into the meeting. only 15 mins and not massively important, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. just a gauge of what he's like would be good.

thanks in advance for any info

watch you don't end up libeling yourself or anything over the head of this by laying into him or whatever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I had him for a few lectures in 1st year: a whole course (Statics), plus part of an elective (he did the Polymers component of Materials Science). Seemed nice enough, helpful with questions etc. Not much to say that could help at your level, though - and as you pointed out, you can't expect to read anything potentially libellous on a public forum. Best to keep lecturers' names off here entirely, IMHO.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

if you say good things it shouldn't be a problem wasn't too sure about the thread so i added the warning at the end. as long as he won't try to rip me to shreds i'll be happy enough. thanks anyhow. people could PM me if they wanted- didn't think of it till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Well, technically it violates the forum charter (3rd amendment)...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

He's genuinely a very nice guy, I went to him to ask him about some stuff one time and he spent ages going through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

Thanks for the replies, I was very late in asking, and the last poster there was after the meeting. got the same impression from him, nice guy, was interested in what i was talking about and was very friendly and not intimidating to talk to at all. think it all went well, hopefully if i'm on the cusp of a first he'll be speaking in my favour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well done mate :)

Advertisement