Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna fails defence.

Options
  • 03-03-2009 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Do people actually believe fianna fail ,when they say that no one else has come up with answers ?
    Do they actually think the public are stupid enough to believe ,that no other political party has a solution.

What would the opposition parties have left ,if fianna fail had all the answers. We would be back in the same position as we were in the last election and in a worse mess four years down the road ,putting fianna fail plasters on everything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Do people actually believe fianna fail ,when they say that no one else has come up with answers ?
    It's not a case of not believing them, it's a case of looking for an opposition that has workable ideas, and seeing none.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

This is Fianna Fails defence

YOU ARE ALL A USELESS SHOWER IN OPPOSITION NOT SUPPORTING US, ITS MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY

Their defence is shouting down people like Burton, Bruton and Rabbite in tonights Prime Time, we are sick of this muppet government, do us all a favour and resign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

the_syco wrote: »
    It's not a case of not believing them, it's a case of looking for an opposition that has workable ideas, and seeing none.

If it was me in opposition ,I wouldn't give away the game that easily. Surely thats whats happening at the moment.

Labour has said that if there is an election to be held ,everyone should lay out what they plan to do. That to me sounds like the best solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

If it was me in opposition ,I wouldn't give away the game that easily. Surely thats whats happening at the moment.

Labour has said that if there is an election to be held ,everyone should lay out what they plan to do. That to me sounds like the best solution.

hopefully labour will then lay out what they ( specifically ) intend to do instead of playing to the gallery with populist rhetoric like they have been this past month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

irish_bob wrote: »
    hopefully labour will then lay out what they ( specifically ) intend to do instead of playing to the gallery with populist rhetoric like they have been this past month

They are offering plenty of solutions, maybe you just dont want to listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

What FF wants is a bail out. There is no interim solution and if there was one FF would not recognize it. Perhaps I might add that a FF led Government is not one of them at this time.

There are so many positives to a new government ,enthusiasm ,open ears ,fresh relationships with foriegn investment ,public hope ,no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

I think they are right! They have screwed this country so badly that there is no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Eh, so their lack of any solution, lack of any possible way out of this mess is what they want us to believe... eh... that logic is fail :confused:
    Nice idea. I wonder how many of these ideas won't just involve sound bites?

the_syco wrote: »
    Eh, so their lack of any solution, lack of any possible way out of this mess is what they want us to believe... eh... that logic is fail :confused:

I'm not going to get into a discussion as to my logic ,it would defeat the purpose of the thread I started.

If you can't see how obvious it is ,that no one should tell fianna fail the answers ,then thats the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The problem is that the solution to our problems is very clear, every political party and every politician knows what needs to be done. It is just that non of them are willing to stand up, show leadership and tell the public the truth about what needs to be done, because what needs to be done will be politically very unpopular. What needs to be done is:

1) Cut government expenditure:
    - The public service pension levy
    - Probably more pay cuts for public servants, and redundancies.
    - Cut backs in capital expenditure like Metro North and Dart underground.

2) Increase tax on everyone, including lower tax thresholds so that the 40% of people who currently pay no income tax, pay some tax.

3) Cut social welfare

Basically balance the budget, it doesn't take Einstein to figure out what we need to do, but it will take great leadership to face up to what needs to be done and to just get it done.

FF know what needs to be done, but they are doing it slowly as they fear a public backlash, strikes, etc.

FG and Labour know it needs to be done, but are afraid to say so as they are afraid to frighten off potential voters with the truth.

bk wrote: »
    FF know what needs to be done, but they are doing it slowly as they fear a public backlash, strikes, etc.

FG and Labour know it needs to be done, but are afraid to say so as they are afraid to frighten off potential voters with the truth.

Thats exactly it and thats why a new government would need and have no excuses.
    Fianna fail are trying there best to win over people ,with the same thinking that won them the last election.
    You can see it in their eyes ,the gloom that is our economy , but we need to move on with things.

This global crisis is a bit like a war and nows not the time to be neutral about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Do they actually think the public are stupid enough to believe ,that no other political party has a solution.

What would the opposition parties have left ,if fianna fail had all the answers. We would be back in the same position as we were in the last election and in a worse mess four years down the road ,putting fianna fail plasters on everything.

It sounds to me like FF are saying "we know we're not doing well, but would anyone else do a better?"

Well, given people's anger, even the man on the street know a few things that should have happened, but didn't. BOI appointing someone from within should never have happened. The financial regulator being given a nice payoff for his incompetence should never have happened. Lavish expensives for top ranking public servants should never have happened, especially when the country is going down the drain.

I have also read a small bit about creating one "bad" bank into which all bad debts are transferred into. I'm no expert by any means, but this idea does make sense to get credit flowing to businesses again, and hopefully staying off going out of business until things pick up.

The remaining areas - cutting expenditure and raising taxes will happen regardless of who's in charge. But FF's performance since the country started entering recession means that I have no confidence in them whatsoever. And if you're doing something that's not working, then it's time to start doing something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

They are offering plenty of solutions, maybe you just dont want to listen.

name them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Fianna Fail need to suffer the same fate as the PDs. They need to go and restart as a clean new party. The first thing that should happen is for them to be voted out comprehensively so that they end up at the back of the Dail like Sinn Fein.

I really doesn't matter who replaces them. Everyone knows what's needed here, huge cuts and higher taxes. Fianna Fail knows it and to be fair is going ahead with it albeit in a half baked typical FF fashion. But they need to be punished for the mess they've caused.

The Celtic Tiger was always built on sand, it could never last. The biggest myths of the Celtic Tiger was that everyone was better off. They were not, many were worse off because prices shot up even though wages didn't. The Celtic Tiger did well for people who already had money and people who were in demand and they creamed it. FF were in the thick of it.

Ireland is little better than you typical South American banana republic. Run by an elite with all the power and the money. The rest of us can go to hell. Without emigration over the years this country would have been a powder keg of revolution. In some ways, it's a pity that never happened.

What we need now is a form of revolution, a clean out of the old regime. FF need to be wiped out politically for this country to start again. We can add the Greens to that list. When you sup with the devil..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

How much taxation can people take,we only earn so much and if vat and petrol,dieseal go up everything follows.Electricity to come down next month,for how long and the weather will get milder soon and we wont need to use as much anyway.Will the so called leaders take a cut in wages,not leading by very good example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

irish_bob wrote: »
    name them

The appointment of a Minister for Finance who is a chartered accountant. I think that might help. Possibly she would know the difference between net and gross....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tazdedub

Why are people keep jumping on this FF bandwagon of "well the opposition have no ideas"? Maybe the opposition do have ideas but why should they give them to the government? If you had an idea that would make you money would you tell other people that idea so that they can steal it. Remember FF already have a record of doing this to FG, so I can understand the other parties reluctance to share their ideas.

Also did our esteem leader not stand up in the dail a couple of weeks ago and say I will do it my way. The fact of the matter is that FF got us into this mess, they are hiding behind the worldwide down turn but you have to remember that this is the same shower the squandered away billions of euros on quangos, giving themselves pay rises, evoting machines, PPars, and the HSE as a whole to name but a few. We have absolultly nothing to show for the boom years, nothing at all. Our public transport is a joke unless you live along a dart line, our health service is non existent, and you have to ask why is this? Forget about this global recession that the government are hiding behind, its time to get out house in order and if that means paying higher taxes so be it but in future the irish people as whole have to take their heads out of the sand and demand more from the politicians, actually make them work for their money.

It is going to take a politician with a pair of balls to get us out of this mess. Do FF have this, personally I dont think so? Do FG have this, maybe in Richard Bruton but not Enda Kenny? Do Labour have it maybe but will we ever know?

As someone said a general election is needed, let all the parties put their ideas out and let the people decide who or what they want? Then their can be no hiding for anyone.

Advertisement