Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest..

Options
  • 03-03-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Where is the cheapest place to buy a good pc.. I'm very good with computers so I could tell if the PC's are any good, But I just need to know which is the cheapest place that does them :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Check out hardwareversand.de

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It depends what you're looking for. Day to day use? Media? Games? Different retailers do better priced machines in different bands.

I want a retail place please; not an online shop.

I want a computer that is good for gaming/working, so least 3GB ram, quad core processor,excellent graphics card etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Sorry, I can't really recommend any bricks and mortar store for a high-end machine. Expect to pay 50% over the odds pretty much anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

+1. If you try to buy anything with a half-decent graphics card in a retail store then bend over - you are going to get raped. It has always been this way and shall probably remain that way.

I've heard that sometimes PC World has offers, but for most high-end machines theres a 50-60% Sterling markup so any kind of rape prevention will entail a trip to the North. You can usually get a lot of decent quad-core OEM machines there at a reasonable price, but expect to pay 2.5 times as much (easily €1600) for a similar machine with a €110 graphics card (seriously!). They've always been good at budget stuff, and have always sucked ass at the high-end.

Click and most others would rape you on the spot and often they won't even have a gaming rig in stock; all of their staff talk arse as 90% don't know what a computer (much less a graphics card) is and the remainder don't give a $#!£ anyway, they just want to sell you piles of $#!£ that will force you to traipse back in three days later to buy something else unerringly expensive. Unlike PC World these guys don't have any redeeming characteristics at all.

If you know your stuff well then the very best you can do is to try and find a good deal on a decent mainstream rig (probably in PC World if you're committed to buying bricks-and-mortar, and if so then I pity you) then add a decent graphics card yourself (look for deals in PC World and Peats), but given mobo and PSU issues certain OEMs can give its always a gamble :(

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

harwareversand.de has a 2 year warrenty!!!

Just popped into Aldi.

They had a pc with 4GB Ram, great graphics card/processor, and a good keyboard and mouse.

499euro.

If this is what rape feels like, I like it. :)

Just when I thought Medion didn't have a deal on... :rolleyes: When they do I recommend them but being sold through Aldi you tend to have stock issues and good offers can be hard to physically get your hands on :o

But are you sure about the graphics card? 8600GT isnt "good" I'm afraid! Specs please!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Solitaire wrote: »
    Just when I thought Medion didn't have a deal on... :rolleyes: When they do I recommend them but being sold through Aldi you tend to have stock issues and good offers can be hard to physically get your hands on :o

But are you sure about the graphics card? 8600GT isnt "good" I'm afraid! Specs please!
    I believe this could be the pc he is referring to (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055478294). It's a pretty low end pc. It'll be pretty useless for gaming. The graphics card and processor are far from great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

im actually looking for a desktop now aswell. Im sick of laptops. Nothing but problems.
    Can anyone recommend any online retailer that would be shipping from Ireland?
    I see komplett dont do desktops and the Dabs range is quite limited..

Cheers

K, Aldi one is sh1te then..

Shall go into Harvey Norman or something, they usually do something like 'Managers Special' lol..

Tiesto wrote:
    Can anyone recommend any online retailer that would be shipping from Ireland?

Don't you mean "shipping to Ireland"?? In any case try OCUK or HWVS, they tend to have good deals and ship pre-OCd machines, just see who has the best deal and remember to figure in the extra 21% VAT on OCUKs prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Solitaire wrote: »
    Don't you mean "shipping to Ireland"?? In any case try OCUK or HWVS, they tend to have good deals and ship pre-OCd machines, just see who has the best deal and remember to figure in the extra 21% VAT on OCUKs prices!

No i actually meant shipping from ireland :)
    i dont fancy getting a computer shipped all the way from the UK.
    The longer its in transit the greater chance of...

i did however find a great site who custom build : http://ankermann-pc.shops4ecommerce.de/shop/?lang=en
    they are however located offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Also intrested in this mine wont be a gaming rig tho. Im looking for a computer more for internet,poker,gmail etc.i can in stall the os myself.any one see any deals like that online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

CutzEr wrote: »
    I want a retail place please; not an online shop.

I want a computer that is good for gaming/working, so least 3GB ram, quad core processor,excellent graphics card etc etc.

Why on earth would you not buy on line? This is 2009, the internet is safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

dude, just ask here for what parts to buy. give us a budget ur on, and we will select the parts for you. then just pay someone from boards to call to your house, and build it for you.
    50 euro would get a lot interested for a half day's work.

and it would save you a fortune for getting raped in a store.

Advertisement