Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to report unregistered tenancy to?

Options
  • 04-03-2009 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

An apartment below us has been rented out for over 12 months, to far from perfect tenants. We've had constant problems with noise from parties on weeknights and weekends well into the morning, rubbish left outside the front door, have an alarm that doesn't switch off when activated..... you get the gist. The Management Agent has written to the landlord whose main priority is getting his money.

The last straw was a recent party when at 3am I was forced to call down for the second time that night (previously 1.30) to ask them to turn the music down. Leases prohibit playing of music audible from outside the apartment after midnight, this could be heard in the next block. Anyway the tenant's answer was that he couldn't give a f*ck who he was disturbing.

Have tried to do this the right way through the MA and the ll doesn't care. I have noticed that the apartment isn't listed on the PRTB register and think it's about time the landlord did something by the book. So do I just email the PRTB? Should I contact someone in Revenue? What to do.

I know it sounds vindictive but you try living above these people and see how generous of spirit you'd become!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

Ring Garda next time it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Yes, ring the gardai the next time there is a noise disturbance.

Ring the PRTB and talk to them. Apparently even if they are not registered, since it is such a long drawn process for convicting the landlord - i believe nothing really happens. It is worth ringing them and reporting them anyway though. Just remember there are exemptions to compulsory registration e.g. children of the owner living in the apartment etc.

See here for more:
    http://www.prtb.ie/pubregfaq.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The Gardai just note it but the tenants don't care. The tenants are definitely not related to the landlord. Landlord is Irish (used to live in apartment years ago) and tenants are Eastern European.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

athtrasna wrote: »
    The Gardai just note it but the tenants don't care. The tenants are definitely not related to the landlord. Landlord is Irish (used to live in apartment years ago) and tenants are Eastern European.
    You could try filling in the PRTB form and send it in. There'll be lots of blanks, at least get the names and address right. It will then get processed and flagged as an incomplete registration, which the PRTB will follow up on. They don't need to know it was you who sent it in :)

But its not going to solve your problem. And it will take months, they're very slow. Sounds to me like the management company need to get forceful. Surely there is a penalty for breaking the rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We reported an unregistered landlord and he was served with an enforcement order within two weeks.

Threshold organised it.

Incidentally, your rights as a tenant are full and exist whether or not the landlord is regsistered.

That is inherent in the 2004 Tenancy Act; so make a formal complaint regardless of his lack of that registration.

That he is not registered will add fuel to the fire against him.

Call Threshold?

http://www.threshold.ie/menu.asp?menu=68

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pcardin wrote: »
    Ring Garda next time it happens
    The Garda is only interested if the behaviour is outside the individual apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It has been outside on many occasions but they just go in when they spot the car!

I thought Threshold only help tenants? I'm an owner but the troublemakers are tenants!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The gardai have to act on noise pollution too as it is against the law to create noise pollution/disturbance even when coming from within your place of residence.

Advertisement