Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ok to share your bed with a dog ?

Options
  • 04-03-2009 4:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

not in a rude way

but just a friendly way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

i have always let all of the dogs i have owned
    sleep on or in my bed i have never had a problem
    with it, some might say its badtaste etc but
    i like the company personally :D
    and they like the security too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

A lot of people will say it's a bad idea because you're not supposed to have the dog on the same level as you or it'll get "ideas" and become disobedient or some such rot.

I've had six dogs who've all slept on the bed with me (not all at the same time! max was 1 german shepherd, one lab-sized mutt, and one burmese mountain dog + me in a double bed, that was definitely enough!) and none of them ever caused any trouble, all lovely, well-mannered dogs. They just liked a cuddle.

I say go for it, you'd know your dog(s) best. It's entirely your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

liah wrote: »
    max was 1 german shepherd, one lab-sized mutt, and one burmese mountain dog + me in a double bed, that was definitely enough!)

Crikey, between the German Shepherd and the Burnese I'm surprised there was any room left. We have a Burnese and she's an absolute tank. In the mornings, to encourage me to get out of bed, she's let out of the kitchen and hops onto my, very small, single bed. It's quite a wake up call to have 40kg of dog jump on top of you...my previous alarm clock was a Norfolk Terrier so there's a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

:)

Reminds of the old saying of a "Two dog night" in icy places.

Body heat...

Our cats have the bed; the dogs have the other room. The same idea. If they would get on together.....

Corega wrote: »
    Crikey, between the German Shepherd and the Burnese I'm surprised there was any room left. We have a Burnese and she's an absolute tank. In the mornings, to encourage me to get out of bed, she's let out of the kitchen and hops onto my, very small, single bed. It's quite a wake up call to have 40kg of dog jump on top of you...my previous alarm clock was a Norfolk Terrier so there's a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

newtlover wrote: »
    not in a rude way

but just a friendly way

If you's love each other, i dont see why not!

Real answer, your choice but its not very hygenic so i'd say no.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

:confused:

"Real answer, your choice but its not very hygenic so i'd say no.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

My friend keeps warning me about some story she heard about a woman who let her pet greyhound sleep on her bed, and it had a nightmare one night and accidentally bit her nose off!

Do you think its true??? !!:eek::D

She was telling me this to try to dissuade me from letting my cats sleep on my bed. But TBH they have the risk as I often wake up to a "thump" noise, when I've rolled around in my sleep and booted one of them onto the floor.

:D

For the laughter on a cold day, thank you!

There was a thread once re old wives tales; maybe start one re these horror stories!!

My cats are like yours; sleep atop me at your peril.

That is why there is a snug bed under my bed.

Why though do they always make you feel guilty?

MsFifers wrote: »
    My friend keeps warning me about some story she heard about a woman who let her pet greyhound sleep on her bed, and it had a nightmare one night and accidentally bit her nose off!

She was telling me this to try to dissuade me from letting my cats sleep on my bed. But TBH they have the risk as I often wake up to a "thump" noise, when I've rolled around in my sleep and booted one of them onto the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I am petsitting 4 dogs at the moment. 2 scotties, a collie cross and an irish terrier. The owners let them sleep on the bed so I do too. I drew the line lastnite though when the irish terrier wanted to get under the covers.:D End of the bed, yes, under the covers, no!
    My king charles always had her spot at the end of my bed with her blankey to lie on. Although I think if I had four, I would not have them in the bed. I would probably have their own beds on the floor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

When I compare some people & dogs I wonder if it would be healthy for the poor dog !. My doggies have an ortho foam heated bed - mine wouldn't be comfy enough !

My dogs share my life & the house but not the bed or other furniture.

If your doggies go out for a late pee or poo I suggest you wash their feet before bedtime !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

I leave my small fella sleep on the bed. Only by invite though. When himself is on nights, sometimes I like to be a starfish :p and dont want to accidentally kick the small fella off. The rottweiler is losing too much hair and skin to be left sleep on the bed so she has never been invited up. She sleeps downstairs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Its your choice really, some non doggie people will think its disgusting but really its up 2 u. I let my fella sleep beside me, I keep him flea and wormed so Im happy to let him share with me :D makes a great hot water bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

One thing that strikes me (reading the post about the person petsitting) is what happens when you're away from home. I would imagine then that having them sleep on your bed makes your absence even more dramatic and even traumatic for them when you're not there.

My two sleep in the kitchen and seem to love it cause for a big chunk of the year it gets the morning sun and they often greet me with a half open lazy eye when I come down as they're just too comfortable sunbathing to bother getting up. I like the independence it gives them.

As far as hygiene goes, I guess its down to personal tastes and maybe health concerns like allergies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

The cat takes up enough room! When we get a dog, it'll be massive so there simply won't be enough room.

He also makes the bed covers all furry, but as long as I manage to change them once a week it never gets too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Personally, I'd say no but if you're happy and the dog is happy and healthy then fine if it's what you want.
    I'll never forget one time when I was working in a vet clinic during the summer and a girl in a low cut top came in covered in ringworm which she had caught from her dog and cat who both slept on her bed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mel123

QUOTE]
    It is true, it was on a documentary on the tv.
    No matter what i did when i got my dog, she wouldnt stop crying at night. i coudl hear her throwing herself around the crate like a lunatic. Left her out of the crate and she scratched my brand new doors :mad: anyway one night i just couldnt handle it, and brought her up to lie on the end of the bed. BIG MISTAKE. Now she sleeps in the room, but i have 'weaned' her onto her bed on the floor. My dog is my baby, and i have to say, even i think its a bit minging to have a dog in the bed.

:confused:That does not mean it is true....

mel123 wrote: »

QUOTE]
    It is true, it was on a documentary on the tv.
    No matter what i did when i got my dog, she wouldnt stop crying at night. i coudl hear her throwing herself around the crate like a lunatic. Left her out of the crate and she scratched my brand new doors :mad: anyway one night i just couldnt handle it, and brought her up to lie on the end of the bed. BIG MISTAKE. Now she sleeps in the room, but i have 'weaned' her onto her bed on the floor. My dog is my baby, and i have to say, even i think its a bit minging to have a dog in the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

well the good book says...

Leviticus Chapter 20
    And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death; and ye shall slay the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Mine sleeps in my bed on weekends and in the spare room on weeknights.... and she knows the difference!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Hubs and I have been married under 6 months and the dog sleeps right in between us.

And my mother-in-law wonders why there's no grandkids yet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Well I have my cat sleep one side off me and my dog the other,I am squashed in the middle:D but never had any problems with them waking me up,in fact I have to wake them up in the mornings:D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

sorella wrote: »

mel123 wrote: »

It is actually true I saw the same real life documentary, apparently dogs dream in picture the same as ourselves and the dog lashed out while dreaming. The woman had to have emergency surgery to have her face reattached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭misssaucie

I keep my pup in the kitchen at night and I let him out to do his business about half seven/eight in the morning's. I work late and wouldn't normally be home until eleven at night so by the time I get to bed it can be quite late so in the morning I go back to bed for a snooze after pup does his poop, then I wipe his little bum (shih tzu, needs must :rolleyes:) and he totters upstairs after me. From the day he could climb the stairs he's been allowed in the room but we've never entertained him when he used to let a little bark to get up, now he just loves the comfort of being in the room in the mornings with us and has his little sleep and never ever looks to get up on the bed. A dog isn't meant to be in a human bed, but a word of advice, we gave our little man a one of the cushions we used to use to dress the bed with and it had our scent on it and he chooses that over anything to lay his head on in the room.

We were going to ask where the nose is now;)

Never sleep face to face with the dog.....
    Hounds seemingly never lose touch with reality though.

macshadow wrote: »

It is actually true I saw the same real life documentary, apparently dogs dream in picture the same as ourselves and the dog lashed out while dreaming. The woman had to have emergency surgery to have her face reattached.

Interesting; in times past, the Alaskan trail drivers used their dogs as vital body heat; hence the expression "a two dog night"

Many find that heat a comfort; choice always.

They are too big and wriggly for me; cats will curl up and sleep without wanting to lick my face.

And it is only since getting the dogs that I have allowed the cats on the bed.
    misssaucie wrote: »
    I keep my pup in the kitchen at night and I let him out to do his business about half seven/eight in the morning's. I work late and wouldn't normally be home until eleven at night so by the time I get to bed it can be quite late so in the morning I go back to bed for a snooze after pup does his poop, then I wipe his little bum (shih tzu, needs must :rolleyes:) and he totters upstairs after me. From the day he could climb the stairs he's been allowed in the room but we've never entertained him when he used to let a little bark to get up, now he just loves the comfort of being in the room in the mornings with us and has his little sleep and never ever looks to get up on the bed. A dog isn't meant to be in a human bed, but a word of advice, we gave our little man a one of the cushions we used to use to dress the bed with and it had our scent on it and he chooses that over anything to lay his head on in the room.

Do you need that explaining!!!
    mikom wrote: »
    well the good book says...

Leviticus Chapter 20
    And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death; and ye shall slay the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

macshadow wrote: »

I'd put that down to a freak accident.

My brother-in-law once dreamt that he was being attacked and ended up elbowing my poor sister into the eye as he struggled in his sleep.

They still share a bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Do you need that explaining!!!

It's ok, found an explanation here.

I have no intention of opening that link, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

Not for me but if you're happy and the dogs happy and you keep their health tip top then why not.

My mother in law allows the dog sleep on the bed on her own blanket and the dog loves it, she likes the company no harm done.

For me i'd rather keep the hair at bay, have some space and ahem, some privacy

a dog isn't any less a dog if it sleeps on a human bed, they like comfort and warmth, mostly they are not gonna start standing on their back legs and reading the paper!!

conversly our newf will sleep on nothing but tiles! humna beds no, dog beds no, blanket no, give him cold hard tiles and he's happy

Advertisement