Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ok to share your bed with a dog ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭coillcam

Absolutely, I haven't done it in a few years. But all the Jack Russells or Terriers over the years we've had would jump into bed sometimes before or after me. Straight to my feet and keep me warm, especially during winter. Like a cute furry little hot water bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

As long as he doesn't have any bad dreams you should be ok :)

It wouldnt happen in my house.
    It has to be bad for your health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Actually, I'd wager that one of the reasons I've got a fantastic immune system and very, very rarely ever get sick as at least a little to do with the amount of time I spent incredibly close to animals, including allowing them in my bed.

I hate clean freaks. They don't understand that a little dirt is GOOD and acts like a vaccine preventing you from all sorts of sick. Oh well. Can't win 'em all..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

Our Jack Russell/Fox terrier cross will do anything to sleep on our bed. I'm the real bad one who puts her out in the sitting room although I usually give in at the weekend after a few pints.
    I was fed up with the dog taking over the house she was only there a month so I made some rules that had to be obeyed I was very serious about this:

1.The dog is not allowed in the house.

2. Okay, the dog is allowed in the house, but only in certain rooms.

3. The dog is allowed in all rooms, but has to stay off the furniture.

4. The dog can get on the old furniture only.

5. Fine, the dog is allowed on all the furniture, but is not allowed to sleep with the humans on the bed.

6. Okay, the dog is allowed on the bed, but only by invitation.

7. The dog can sleep on the bed whenever he wants, but not under the covers.

8. The dog can sleep under the covers by invitation only

9. The dog can sleep under the covers every night.

10. Humans must ask permission to sleep under the covers with the dog.

We started off at 3 and we are now at number 6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Interesting re the tiles.

Our rescued collie is much the same; sometimes she will use a blanket but sometimes the cold tiles.

We thought it was partly that she had been kept tied up outside 24/7, and then when she developed dysplasia, that she was cooling the inflammation off.

Thank you.
    Skillie wrote: »
    Not for me but if you're happy and the dogs happy and you keep their health tip top then why not.

My mother in law allows the dog sleep on the bed on her own blanket and the dog loves it, she likes the company no harm done.

For me i'd rather keep the hair at bay, have some space and ahem, some privacy

a dog isn't any less a dog if it sleeps on a human bed, they like comfort and warmth, mostly they are not gonna start standing on their back legs and reading the paper!!

conversly our newf will sleep on nothing but tiles! humna beds no, dog beds no, blanket no, give him cold hard tiles and he's happy

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

patmac wrote: »

5. Fine, the dog is allowed on all the furniture, but is not allowed to sleep with the humans on the bed.

:D:D:D I love this!! Its the exact mirror of my story with the kitties.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭in2dblue

When I'm staying in the folks the mini brat sleeps in with me, a mini yorkie, I don't know why I give into her as I do get the worst night's sleep ever with her!!
    She mooches round the bed and stands on my head, wouldn't swap her though :D
    Pat Mac - Priceless post!! Sounds like my Dad before I brought my own dog up to their house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Heres one lad I wouldnt like sleeping beside me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Auvers wrote: »

The poor dog! I cannot say I didn't laugh a little though. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭bubblewrap

Course it is! :D

Mine nicks my pillow and I end up with a stiff neck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I've a little King Charles and she likes nothing better than to snuggle up with me on Weekend morning in bed.

Its cozy and compforting, wouldn't let her on the pillow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's nobodys buisness but your own if you want a dog to sleep in the bed with you or a cat. If you are happy with the arrangement and the dog or cat is fine then it's up to yourself. It's not unclean they might drag some grit and stuff from the garden in but sure changing the bed regularly solves that.

So really it's your own beeswax who you sleep with I'm sure many have had worse than their cat or dog in the bed hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

Rory123 wrote: »
    The poor dog! I cannot say I didn't laugh a little though. :o

laugh a little i laughed my ass off. what was he dreaming and do you see the "WTF just happened" look on his face at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

laugh a little i laughed my ass off. what was he dreaming and do you see the "WTF just happened" look on his face at the end

Yeah, it was hillarious.
    I'd say he was grand two minutes later.:)

My cat is asleep on my bed as we speak. She loves bed. If I didn't get up in the morning she'd stay here all day. And has done when I have had bad hangovers!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mel123

patmac wrote: »
    Our Jack Russell/Fox terrier cross will do anything to sleep on our bed. I'm the real bad one who puts her out in the sitting room although I usually give in at the weekend after a few pints.
    I was fed up with the dog taking over the house she was only there a month so I made some rules that had to be obeyed I was very serious about this:

]

Gave me a good laugh, thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

I always let my dogs and cats sleep on my bed. When I wake up in the mornings I feel like Ace Ventura.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Auvers wrote: »

I betcha that was the dream where he caught the truck he was chasing.

Stuffed with steaks it was :)

Advertisement