Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1c tax on texts

• 04-03-2009 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard on the news that the Greens are proposing a 1c tax on text messages to raise funds.

Madness? Unfair on the young? Or a damn good idea?

I think it has it's merits, but will hit the young more than the old more. Which isn't as bad as it sounds, as teenagers tend not to have mortgages.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not a bad idea, say 2.5billion texts a year in Ireland...its not alot of money but its an easy way of making it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

So people will be using webtexts more often then! :)

Its all about tax avoidance, folks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I think its a stupid idea, the government minister just saw some article that Irish sent whatever number of billion texts and thought, oh a new text tax would be nice.
    Did she forget that the government increased VAT last november??? so they are already getting increased revenue from mobile users.
    I think they should bring in a haircut tax as well, or maybe a sock tax too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

What will the Greens come up with next they don't have a clue they should think before they speak idiots. I wonder how this will work with all the networks giving free text....

I should have known it was a Green minister that came up with the suggestion, they are some shower of wasters!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Perhaps we could run a text voting system for the Local and Euro Elections in June? Ant and Dec have already expressed their interest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

billbond4 wrote: »
    I think its a stupid idea, the government minister just saw some article that Irish sent whatever number of billion texts and thought, oh a new text tax would be nice.
    Did she forget that the government increased VAT last november??? so they are already getting increased revenue from mobile users.
    I think they should bring in a haircut tax as well, or maybe a sock tax too :D

While they're at it, why not a call tax, data tax and a mobile network tax, you know, just for using the mobile network in the first place? :rolleyes:

The Irish government is ensuring that this current economic downturn we're in will be remembered for not only the loss of jobs and business, but for the inability for our government to act accordingly, professionally and in the best interest of the Irish people. The one thing the government has to realise is that they represent the Irish people, they do not represent themselves alone.

Robbo wrote: »
    Perhaps we could run a text voting system for the Local and Euro Elections in June? Ant and Dec have already expressed their interest...
    Great idea, and we could use those e-voting machines that the government have in storage to cut down on costs :D

Rsaeire wrote: »
    While they're at it, why not a call tax, data tax and a mobile network tax, you know, just for using the mobile network in the first place? :rolleyes:

The Irish government is ensuring that this current economic downturn we're in will be remembered for not only the loss of jobs and business, but for the inability for our government to act accordingly, professionally and in the best interest of the Irish people. The one thing the government has to realise is that they represent the Irish people, they do not represent themselves alone.

Well said try telling that to Cowen as he said himself he will do things his way and the way he sees fit and as we can all see its working wonders for us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think revenue has to be generated from somewhere, given the downward spiralling of our public finances.

Is any tax palatable? No.

Is this suggestion a fair tax? I think so. Sending texts are not a necessity, though I am not saying they are a luxury.

Not so sure the mobile operators will like it, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

There's going to have to be a property tax and increase in PAYE taxes unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I think revenue has to be generated from somewhere, given the downward spiralling of our public finances.

Is this suggestion a fair tax? I think so. Sending texts are not a necessity, though I am not saying they are a luxury.

But texts are basically free for the network at the moment. They are just piggy back messages really. If this comes in, goodbye free texts for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I don't think it would hit as many teenagers as you'd think. Just because 2.5billion texts are sent doesn't mean 2.5 billion texts are individually paid for.

What I mean is I'm on Meteor pay as you go. I top up by €20 a month and get unlimited free texts for the month from my phone. How will they add the extra tax to my texts? The €20 a month credit I have is for phone calls and as far as I know an awful lot of people are on the same sort of deal and aren't paying for each individual text.

I do like the idea of it though, it's not that much off everyone.

How about this then?

There is a levy on credit cards and ATM cards.

How about a standard, say, €10 levy on a mobile phone account?

*runs for cover*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

everybodys talking like someone realy suggested the idea, did they?

I think it's a brilliant idea, nothing worse on this earth than text messages, i'd be pushing for a 5cent tax, should generate about 10million, presto, country fixed, all ready to run out and buy more shoe boxes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I think it's a brilliant idea, nothing worse on this earth than text messages, i'd be pushing for a 5cent tax, should generate about 10million, presto, country fixed, all ready to run out and buy more shoe boxes...

Either you're not all that intelligent or that is a blatant attempt to pi$s people off (which is very unlike you).

jordainius wrote: »
    Either you're not all that intelligent or that is a blatant attempt to pi$s people off (which is very unlike you).

Guys, if you have a problem with a post, report it, and let the moderators deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Class :D:D

I would be all for putting a tax on joke emails.......say 5c for every person you forward it to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Just heard on the news that the Greens are proposing a 1c tax on text messages to raise funds.

Madness? Unfair on the young? Or a damn good idea?

I think it has it's merits, but will hit the young more than the old more. Which isn't as bad as it sounds, as teenagers tend not to have mortgages.

Another rubbish idea from the ministry of (silly walks) bicycles & lightbulbs!

Reduce the public service by 30%, I'm not talking about low grade workers, I'm talking middle grade & upper grade.

Then reduce pay by 30% for the remainder again not low grade workers, and this should be capped for 5 years.

Next reduce pay to ministers by 50%, no more offical cars etc bought for next 5 years. Sell government Jet, any minister who has to travel abroad can fly economy like the rest of us.

All public servant expenses to be independently audited and rejected where possible.

All Anglo Irish Loan defaulters to pay through private assets, not the tax payer.

I suspect we'd have the €13 Billion shortfall in a very short time.

10million to fix the country haha where have you being living.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Guys, if you have a problem with a post, report it, and let the moderators deal with it.

Fair enough but what he is suggesting is something that would upset a LOT of people in this country, and his given reason is that "nothing worse on this earth than text messages".

Considering how popular text messaging is (as everyone including drunkmonkey knows full well) I think its fair to say that his statement is either a joke or an attempt to wind people up.

Ok, while its ridiculous that some people let texting take over their lives, lets take the example of someone who sends a modest 10 text messages a day. If this person were to pay 5c in tax per message as drunkmonkey suggests, this would cost that person an extra 183euro per year, all because of what is basically a "grudge against text messaging" tax.

mcguyver wrote: »
    10million to fix the country haha where have you being living.

doh! i'm off to get some coffee:D

jordainius wrote: »
    "grudge against text messaging" tax.

what about the grudge against, nice cars, smokers, drinkers... about time the texters felt a bit of the pain...

lighten up:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JonnyMaguire

You lot are something else.

"well, WE have to get revenue from somewhere"

yeah, is that so. What is the revenue needed for, to pay those fat cat bankers.

Were you all recieving big dividend cheques over all those years???????

Yeah, I thought not. You were not all in it togeather then, but now we are "all in it togeather".

Farce.

The government should stop foreign aid for a year or, at the very least, reduce the amount of money going out on foreign aid. I don’t agree with foreign aid being abolished entirely, or for foreign aid to be reduced indefinitely, merely for a specific time-frame to be set. We have proposed college fees, medical card revocations, 1% government levy, new taxes, and many more such examples here in this country to deal with. As a country we should help ourselves and then help others. I am not going to debate this point, as it is my opinion. I can understand the argument against what I proposed and I respect those of you whose opinion differs from my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

How about this then?

There is a levy on credit cards and ATM cards.

How about a standard, say, €10 levy on a mobile phone account?

*runs for cover*
    That's actually a good idea. If there has to be a tax/levy imposed on mobiles then I would be in favour of a levy in one go rather than the termination of free texts!!

Edit: Just saw Rsaiere's post there - agree 100% with you there mate!

You lot are something else.

"well, WE have to get revenue from somewhere"

yeah, is that so. What is the revenue needed for, to pay those fat cat bankers.

Were you all recieving big dividend cheques over all those years???????

Yeah, I thought not. You were not all in it togeather then, but now we are "all in it togeather".

Farce.

Not a lot that can be done about that now, unfortunately.

This is a discussion about taxing text messages, not the lessons learned from financial crisis that has crippled our banking system.

Please stay on topic.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    That's actually a good idea. If there has to be a tax/levy imposed on mobiles then I would be in favour of a levy in one go rather than the termination of free texts!!
    !

so you obviously don't have a bill phone:mad:......silly idea for a tax, txt idea is way better, it brings a lot more people into the tax net...;)

so you obviously don't have a bill phone:mad:......silly idea for a tax, txt idea is way better, it brings a lot more people into the tax net...;)

I'd actually agree with Princess Tom and Max Power1. A €10 government levy on a mobile number, be it prepay or postpay, would ensure a minimum amount is collected each year from every user, and not merely from those who send text messages from their handset. It would ensure a larger amount of tax is collected too.

• Advertisement

Ah sure just bring in the 5c tax for bill-pay we can't be taxing the kids and the 5c should cover what we don't get from them and while there at it add an extra tax for calls say 5 c per min because of all the annoying people on there phones on busses etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement