Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1c tax on texts

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I'd actually agree with Princess Tom and Max Power1. A €10 government levy on a mobile number, be it prepay or postpay, would ensure a minimum amount is collected each year from every user, and not merely from those who send text messages from their handset. It would ensure a larger amount of tax is collected too.

Yeah a Mobile Phone Licence they will do is in addition to the 1c tax as soon as they think of it. And im sure the greens will also want a tax based on the radiation levels emitted from the phone and also the size of the battery kinda like the car tax schem except for mobiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I'd actually agree with Princess Tom and Max Power1. A €10 government levy on a mobile number, be it prepay or postpay, would ensure a minimum amount is collected each year from every user, and not merely from those who send text messages from their handset. It would ensure a larger amount of tax is collected too.

Yep, gotta say this makes a lot of sense.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

10e fee for every phone account in Ireland seems better then a 1c tax imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Cabaal wrote: »
    10e fee for every phone account in Ireland seems better then a 1c tax imho

I think this might be worth a poll. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

How about this then?

There is a levy on credit cards and ATM cards.

How about a standard, say, €10 levy on a mobile phone account?

*runs for cover*

Sound idea. A Sim card levy. Also a 1c tax on texts. Sure most texts are sent by kids to young to vote, so it's win/win :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

How do you collect the 10 euro tax you are suggesting?

homah_7ft wrote: »
    How do you collect the 10 euro tax you are suggesting?

I presume it would operate like the €10 tax on credit/ATM cards - the service provider would have to collect it at source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

And if you are prepay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

And if you are prepay?

The credit would be debited from the prepay users' accounts and if any user had insufficient credit, they would be in a negative balance until they next top-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

And if you are prepay?

They will take it from your credit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Robbo wrote: »
    Perhaps we could run a text voting system for the Local and Euro Elections in June? Ant and Dec have already expressed their interest...
    Brilliant

I'm going to lock this thread as it makes sense to continue the discussion in the other thread with the poll.

(You can't retrospectively add a poll to a thread, as I discovered. And, if I merge the two, the first post on this thread will be the first post in the new thread, causing confusion on the poll)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement