Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless keeps dropping out

Options
  • 04-03-2009 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I connect to the net via USB key to Wireless router upstairs in the house (both Netgear).

Sometimes the signal is 50+MB/sec (full speed as far as i can tell) but over the last few weeks it keeps dropping to 1mb/sec or stops, The router is never moved and before if would never drop, What could be causing this ?

Is there a booster I could get to put half way and improve the signal ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

i've had trouble in the past with usb adaptors overheating after an hour or so, when it did that it slowed right down

when it's running slowly is the adaptor warm to touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Ya it does get warm. Somethings very warm.

sounds like the issue i was having alright, most netgear adaptors come with a USB extention lead, try and get it away from the computer's case to help cooling it

I dont have the lead one.. I might get one tho.

Are you using it on a laptop or a desktop, if your gonna go out and get a replacement i'd suggest either getting an internal card for yer machine

• Advertisement

it's a desktop.

would a internal card for that do the job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

NeVeR wrote: »
    Hi all,

I connect to the net via USB key to Wireless router upstairs in the house (both Netgear).

Sometimes the signal is 50+MB/sec (full speed as far as i can tell) but over the last few weeks it keeps dropping to 1mb/sec or stops, The router is never moved and before if would never drop, What could be causing this ?

Is there a booster I could get to put half way and improve the signal ?

Download Netstumbler [google is your friend]. Run it to see if there are any other wifi points close by on the same channel as yours.

Note : It MAY not work on a USB dongle but worth a shot.

If it shows other points on the same channel, edit your AP config and set your channel to something different than the rest.

RangeR wrote: »
    Download Netstumbler [google is your friend]. Run it to see if there are any other wifi points close by on the same channel as yours.

Note : It MAY not work on a USB dongle but worth a shot.

If it shows other points on the same channel, edit your AP config and set your channel to something different than the rest.

Whats AP Config ?
    What could be on the same channel ?
    I'll check it when i get home

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Whats AP Config ?
    What could be on the same channel ?
    I'll check it when i get home

All you need to extend the usb dongle is an an ordinary usb extention lead this can be a lot more flexible obviously than an internal wireless card.

As suggested try changing the wireless channel - with wireless increasingly popular it is very easy to find that many of your neighbours are on the same channel. Also are there any other wirless devices in the house? Tv senders, cordless phones etc?

The wireless is on Channel 11. But it's an encrypted signal (password protected),

There's only mobile phones in the house, And sometimes the wireless xbox controllers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The wireless is on Channel 11. But it's an encrypted signal (password protected),

There's only mobile phones in the house, And sometimes the wireless xbox controllers.

Encryption does not matter in this case. Try changing the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only channels which do not share a frequency with other channels, so run Netstumbler to see if there are any other networks and aim to use channel 1 or 6 before trying any others.

Just my 2&1/2d worth.....

Advertisement