Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice

Options
  • 04-03-2009 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I need a small bit of advice.
    A couple that have been residing with me, have a cat that they decided to bring into the house some time ago.

The cat gave birth to 4 kittens last week, as they have let the cat roam in and out of the house as it pleases.

They are now going to be moving back to their country of origin, however they are unable to take the cats with them.

I have already informed them that we do not want to keep the cats, as we never wanted them there in the first place.

I'm afraid that the most likely thing that will happen is that they will simply dump the cats in some field before they leave.

Is there some better(more humane) solution to this problem?
    We don't want the cats but we don't want to just see newborn kittens dumped in a field somewhere either...

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Where are you? There surely is an animal rescue place who would take the cats?

If you were in Donegal, would know who to contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 avanche

I'm in Lucan, Dublin. But I've been told that the DSPCA and ISPCA won't take animals unless they are truly endangered...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

avanche wrote: »
    Hi,

I need a small bit of advice.
    A couple that have been residing with me, have a cat that they decided to bring into the house some time ago.

The cat gave birth to 4 kittens last week, as they have let the cat roam in and out of the house as it pleases.

They are now going to be moving back to their country of origin, however they are unable to take the cats with them.

I have already informed them that we do not want to keep the cats, as we never wanted them there in the first place.

I'm afraid that the most likely thing that will happen is that they will simply dump the cats in some field before they leave.

Is there some better(more humane) solution to this problem?
    We don't want the cats but we don't want to just see newborn kittens dumped in a field somewhere either...

Thanks.

Thats terrible. The cheek of them just moving back after getting the cat. Why did they bother getting it in the first place?:confused: You will have to make a new rule that any housemate you have in the future neuter their cats! Fair play to you though for wanting to see the kittens safe.

These folks might be able to help. http://www.catsaid.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

I'm in Lucan, Dublin. But I've been told that the DSPCA and ISPCA won't take animals unless they are truly endangered...

Did you tell them they are leaving the animals behind?Or you should approach your neighbours and ask them to remove the cats to the DSPCA.Explain its no big deal and they will only have to donate 10 euro even.

@Lauragoesmad Thanks for that link, I'm going to try to contact them and see what they tell me.

@shqipshume To be honest I don't know my neighbors, and I don't think it would be fair to ask them to go through the hassle of something they have nothing to do with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

@Lauragoesmad Thanks for that link, I'm going to try to contact them and see what they tell me.

@shqipshume To be honest I don't know my neighbors, and I don't think it would be fair to ask them to go through the hassle of something they have nothing to do with.

I meant your neighbors in your house sorry hehe:o
    Are they already gone tho? :eek:
    If they are then the animals are at risk because they are not yours and have been abandoned they will turn Ferrel and then there will be to many to deal with.DSPCA need to get off their butts,The only other way is to box them up girl and bring them yourself over.I had to remove kittens from my back garden and they took them when i got there in rathfarnham.

@shqipshume gonna see what catsaid tells me, then I'll try DSPCA again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 catzrus

Here is a list of all cat rescue groups, one of these has to be able to help you

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/irelandl.html

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Depending on how far you're willing to travel I can highly recommend Drogheda Animal Rescue and Last Hope as places to contact for help.

Last Hope are in Meath though the cattery is on the Meath/Cavan border.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Maybe pop up to the Hermitage vet clinic and have a word with them.
    They may be able to give you some advice.

http://www.myvet.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dreambian

Hi Avanache, my advice is to try the DSPCA first. If you know that their owners plan to abandon them and if you are not in a position to keep the cats yourself then they ARE critically endangered. In my opinion the DSPCA would be grateful to you that you wouldn't stand by and let a cat and her four kittens be dumped in a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

In an ideal world the spca would help, however, a friend of mine had a stray pregnant cat living out her back. (sorry, she was either pregnant or had just had kittens) She called the spca for help and was told to "stop feeding it and it will go away" :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Words fail.

It is the private places that seem to help most, here anyways.

In an ideal world the spca would help, however, a friend of mine had a stray pregnant cat living out her back. (sorry, she was either pregnant or had just had kittens) She called the spca for help and was told to "stop feeding it and it will go away" :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭CATWOMEN

Hi have to agree ,not the most helpful.
    don't bother to read emails and when they do
    they get it wrong, or are unhelpful. Have to praise a lot of
    other shelters especially the in ones that get no funding,
    they are totally dedicated, work very hard, give great advice.
    or sites like board.ie are brilliant .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sunshinegirl

why not ring and say you found them abandoned then they have to do something.I know its not the most honest of ways but at least they would have to take action.
    other than that put up a notice in a local shop looking for homes for the cats.

Advertisement