Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Paid by the HSE - help!

Options
  • 04-03-2009 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

I have a tenant who, literally as he moved in, was let go from his job.

He had already enrolled a kid in school and really liked the area (fairly central Dublin) and really wanted to stay. He asked me had I any objection to him going through the HSE for rent. I said no – because really, it took a while to secure a tenant, so I didn’t want to go through the whole thing again. That was August.

Every month since then the cheque I received from the HSE is not the agreed amount and it’s actually substantially different.

I have written three times and spoken to the community welfare officer on this – and nothing has been done.

Can anybody give me direction as to a higher body in the community welfare section that might be able to sort this (I tried ringing the HSE yesterday – 45 mins – no answer).

If I can’t get this sorted I would have to look at getting other tenants and I really don’t want to impose that on either party.

Thanks

C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

blue4ever wrote: »
    Can anybody give me direction as to a higher body in the community welfare section that might be able to sort this (I tried ringing the HSE yesterday – 45 mins – no answer).

the formal complaints procedure any good to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Should it not be up to yout tenant to make sure the cheques are the right amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

My parents rent a house, and get the rent via the HSE. However the rent received from the HSE is only a % of the rent, and the tenants make up the rest, through cleaning houses etc for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Why isn't the tenant doing all this?

Not trying to be smart but they should know the procedures and system better then you, it's their job to pay and not for you to chase down bureaucrats.

They will be getting a percentage of the rent and will pay the rest themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

It is up to the tenant to sort it and as stated the HSE don't always pay 100%. Technically speaking they should pay the full amount but it is often less then the standard rent in Dublin. The tenant is the person who needs to pay the difference but strictly speaking he should find a place with the value the HSE are willing to pay.
    Keep the rent book up to date with the actual values paid and don't let the amount get any higher as the tenant will get angry most likely for what he will see as an extra charge. If it is rent a room still use a rent book it is easier in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Insurgent wrote: »
    Should it not be up to yout tenant to make sure the cheques are the right amount?

The tenant goes down every month to the c.w.o. - she says the same thing to him - 'i'll sort it out' - what more can he do?

It’s an incredible system – or mores the point – and incredible person that I am dealing with.

Julius – thanks for that, I had a look at that yesterday – it more for the original recipient. p.s. Julius, you know yourself at this stage “beware the ….. “ - only 11 days to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Kipperhell wrote: »
    It is up to the tenant to sort it and as stated the HSE don't always pay 100%. Technically speaking they should pay the full amount but it is often less then the standard rent in Dublin. The tenant is the person who needs to pay the difference but strictly speaking he should find a place with the value the HSE are willing to pay.
    Keep the rent book up to date with the actual values paid and don't let the amount get any higher as the tenant will get angry most likely for what he will see as an extra charge. If it is rent a room still use a rent book it is easier in the long run.

I appreciate that - but they told me, verbally - we'll pay X.

I agreed reluctantly as I was looking for more - but the gift horse etc.

The point would be then – where are the getting their figures – on want
    basis – and why are they so fluctuating.

I appreciate the calendar month etc – but even if I take the dates “from and until” and divide the days then by the cheque amount – each month is totally different per day!

Secondly – the differences between the agreed HSE figure and what on the cheque is between 25% and 30% of the agreed rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you get the cheque, or the money? If the money, do you know if the cheque fluctuates?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

HSE rates vary- its not unusual. Its wholly dependent on the circumstances of the claimant. Its unusual for the HSE amount to fully pay for the rent- normally the tenant makes up the difference. The HSE amounts are due to fall by 20-30% in recognition of 1. Falling rents, and 2. Greater demand for assistance from the public (and a static budget).

It is the tenants duty to sort this- not the landlords. It can be a right headache- as the assessment officer does not in fact have any input into the monthly payment- its determined by other, often arbitrary, factors.

This is why so many landlords are very hesitant to take on tenants on Rent Allowance or dependent on HSE payments.

Advertisement