Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Rock Ballad

• 04-03-2009 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

What's your favourite rock ballad? Mine is Def Leppard - Bringing on the heartache. It's from before all the Hysteria hype and before the Every rose has it's thorn type of songs ruined the genre & is one of my favourite tracks of all time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Too many for me to choose from, I Love my ballads so I do. Off the top of my head these are some of my favourites

Savatage - Alone You Breathe
    Crimson Glory - Painted Skies
    Circle II Circle - Walls
    WASP - Forever Free
    Savatage - Believe
    Ozzy - Goodbye To Romance
    Rainbow - Rainbow Eyes
    Queensryche - Bridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

As a big Guns N' Roses fan I have to go for

Estranged

November Rain

and of course Don't Cry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

WASP - Forever Free
    I love that song too, they had a few good ballad types but I can't find them to download anywhere, (I've got them on vinyl & it's legal to media-shift your music in Australia). WASP were definitely very under rated overall, I saw them in the Top Hat on the Headless Children tour and they were bloody good live.

While not really a ballad, Ride On by AC/DC is a great song, it's a nice slow, bluesy number & shows off Angus & Bon's talents more than some of their more well known songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Def Leppard - When love and hate collide is a particular favourite of mine! I got my tickets to see them last week I can't wait! :cool:

The BOFH wrote: »
    I love that song too, they had a few good ballad types but I can't find them to download anywhere, (I've got them on vinyl & it's legal to media-shift your music in Australia). WASP were definitely very under rated overall, I saw them in the Top Hat on the Headless Children tour and they were bloody good live.

Were they still throwing meat on the crowd on the Headless children tour? :D

I think they have a few decent ballads alight, as far as I can remember there are a few good ones on the Crimson Idol. Seeing as you've already got the vinyls, give me a PM and I might be able to sort you out with a few mp3's if you can't find them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

would comfortably numb count? Great shout for ride on by ac/dc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Queensryche - Bridge

Awesome tune, and it's video was well ahead of it's time, especially towards the end of it with the kid hooked to the computer with his brain...

... which is pretty much happened once broadband came into play five years later.

I'll also throw in The Legacy and The Ballad by Testament, and Release by Pearl Jam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Seriously love this, not only great humour, but an excellent song in it's own right. Bill's a freakin' genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Queensryche - Silent Lucidity

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Awesome tune, and it's video was well ahead of it's time, especially towards the end of it with the kid hooked to the computer with his brain...

... which is pretty much happened once broadband came into play five years later.

I'll also throw in The Legacy and The Ballad by Testament, and Release by Pearl Jam.

I've never seen the video for it, I must have a look and see if it's on youtube.

Another few I've just thought of:

Vicious Rumors - When Love Comes Down
    Savatage - All that I Bleed
    Fates Warning -We only say Goodbye
    Gary Moore - Empty Rooms

Great thread btw!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Queensryche - Silent Lucidity

Can't believe I never thought of that one, great song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Guns n Roses - Patience

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Lynard Skynard: Simple Man
    Deep Purple: Soldier Of Fortune
    Dave Matthews - Grave Digger
    Eric Clapton - Layla
    Judas Priest: Diamonds and Rust
    The Who: Behind Blue Eyes
    Most of Neil youngs stuff

That's the top few anyway

Oh and Still in Love With You - Thin Lizzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wot? No REO Speedwagon? ;)

Reverb-tastic! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I have way to many to mention but will list them later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

ahh interesting subject have a fondness for all rock music with melody.....

for me 4 that spring to mind are

Ozzy Osbourne - mama i'm coming home

Rush - Mission
    Rush - Losing It

Jethro Tull - Black Satin Dancer

I'm sure there's lots more...but there ya go....ciao'...Baggio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

malice_ wrote: »
    As a big Guns N' Roses fan I have to go for

Estranged

November Rain

and of course Don't Cry

Estranged is ******* awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Def Leppard - When love and hate collide.
    Journey - Faithfully.
    Scorpions - Winds of Change.
    Mister Mr. - Broken Wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

OOOhhhh gawd, where to start, where to start!

Thin Lizzy- Parisienne Walkway
    Gary Moore- Still got the blues for you
    Metallica- Nothing else matters
    Alter Bridge- Watch over you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

MonicaBing wrote: »
    OOOhhhh gawd, where to start, where to start!

Thin Lizzy- Parisienne Walkway
    Gary Moore- Still got the blues for you
    Metallica- Nothing else matters
    Alter Bridge- Watch over you...

That was Gary Moore also, not Thin Lizzy, although Philo did vocals on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

That was Gary Moore also, not Thin Lizzy, although Philo did vocals on it.

Ah Mickey my love, ya may be right, but on the Gary Moore CD i have, tis himself thats doing the vocal's and Phil's not credited on it!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

+1 for Ride On

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Goldilox by King's X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Baggio wrote: »
    Rush - Mission
    Rush - Losing It

Losing it is brilliant but how bout Tears one of Geddys few Peart era solo song credits or Different Strings with Alex's amazing solo cut short by the fade out?
    Panacea is pretty good too!

Oh! Sweet Nuthin! by The Velvet Underground is probably my favourite rock ballad though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

cant believe the one that started it all (well for the 80s) hasnt been mentioned!!

Home Sweet Home. Motley crue!:)

who ever said wasp, i salute you, saw them at the TBMC, still have a scratch plate that blackie and mike duda signed on stage:D

They are possibly the most underrated band ever, Dominator(the last album) is fantastic. Blackie hates barack obama too, what a hero:D

18 and life..... skid row
    Uncle toms cabin...Warrant.
    Dont know what ya got till its gone...Cinderella.
    November Rain.........Guns N roses
    Here I go Again...Whitesnake

kona wrote: »
    who ever said wasp, i salute you, saw them at the TBMC, still have a scratch plate that blackie and mike duda signed on stage:DT
    hey are possibly the most underrated band ever, Dominator(the last album) is fantastic. Blackie hates barack obama too, what a hero:D

'Twas me, I was at that gig too, was about 3 or 4 years ago wasn't it? It was a good show except it was a bit short (And there were **** all people at it). I think I got blackies plec from that gig, I'm sure I still have it here somewhere.

Believe it or not I think I might have been talking to you, I'm fairly sure someone showed us their signed scratch plate, and I think they had the setlist from the stage as well, was that you?

'Twas me, I was at that gig too, was about 3 or 4 years ago wasn't it? It was a good show except it was a bit short (And there were **** all people at it). I think I got blackies plec from that gig, I'm sure I still have it here somewhere.

Believe it or not I think I might have been talking to you, I'm fairly sure someone showed us their signed scratch plate, and I think they had the setlist from the stage as well, was that you?

ha ye it probably was, didnt think he'd sign it, but he did. They rocked the **** outa that place:D best gig ive ever been to, they just dont make em like that anymore:(.
    They played all the classics(apart from **** like a beast, i wasnt impressed:mad:), but now im pissed they didnt play some tunes off dominator, thats a seriously great album(again underrated and unrecognised)

did you see when the mike stand fell over during the sleeping in the fire solo:D

i think it was better because there were less people at it(good thing it wasnt in tripod!). It was expensive too, i reckon they would sell it out now, they seem to have gained a bigger following, if HMV stocks the albums they must be selling, and i know i dont buy them all:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ironmania

has to be my favourite all time rock ballad............:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdx4IQxkGng

Iron Maiden - Wasting Love

kona wrote: »
    ha ye it probably was, didnt think he'd sign it, but he did. They rocked the **** outa that place:D best gig ive ever been to, they just dont make em like that anymore:(.
    They played all the classics(apart from **** like a beast, i wasnt impressed:mad:), but now im pissed they didnt play some tunes off dominator, thats a seriously great album(again underrated and unrecognised)

did you see when the mike stand fell over during the sleeping in the fire solo:D

i think it was better because there were less people at it(good thing it wasnt in tripod!). It was expensive too, i reckon they would sell it out now, they seem to have gained a bigger following, if HMV stocks the albums they must be selling, and i know i dont buy them all:D

Jaysus you have a better memory then me! It was so long ago. Wasn't it cancelled and moved to a different day and then from tripod to TBMC or something? And you're right it was a bit of a rip-off, €40 I think it was.

just after checking, it wasn't Blackie's plec, the plec I have says "Douglas Blaire" I'm not sure if he was the bassist or the lead guitarist.

If you are the same guy I think you are, was it you and a friend at it and ye both travelled a really long bus journey from somewhere over in the west? How the **** I remember stuff like that I have no idea.

I think I still have a few photos from that gig as well.

• Advertisement

Jaysus you have a better memory then me! It was so long ago. Wasn't it cancelled and moved to a different day and then from tripod to TBMC or something? And you're right it was a bit of a rip-off, €40 I think it was.

just after checking, it wasn't Blackie's plec, the plec I have says "Douglas Blaire" I'm not sure if he was the bassist or the lead guitarist.

If you are the same guy I think you are, was it you and a friend at it and ye both travelled a really long bus journey from somewhere over in the west? How the **** I remember stuff like that I have no idea.

I think I still have a few photos from that gig as well.

ye, it was moved about and changed days. They didnt bring elvis either because apparantley the stage at the TBMC couldnt support it:rolleyes:

The support was good too, glyder were great.

Dougie blair is the lead guitarist, no chris holmes, hes a mean "mother****ing" man:D

I oly live up the road so the bus journey was 10mins:P so i dont think i was that guy, there was a bunch of us at the gig, and he only signed one scratch plate:cool: but you could nearly see blackie thinking, this ****ing think is well going on ebay, but no its in my room, beside a whitesnake drumstick and a bottle of jack:D

Advertisement