Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lazy Letterkenny motorists

Options
  • 04-03-2009 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Noticed this last while a large increase in the practice of parking vehicles on the footpath.Very dangerous and unfair to pedestrians.The gardai seem uninterested or too busy to clamp down on this inane act.
    Watched a black Alfa parking on the pavement outside Gormleys centra. He returned five minutes later and drove along the pavement to avoid bumping his tyres on the kerb.
    Just wonder if he does this every morning on his way to work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

totally agree with you, i encounter it almost every day on my way home, they seem to park half on the footpath half on the road from the glencar roundabout heading up towards killylastin, it is going to cause an accident some time because if you meet another car going around one of them corners and suddenly there is a car parked and in your way what do you do? what bugs me is the fact they are parked outside houses with empty driveways, why oh why.....

santahat.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I see it all the time too, though it never really bothered me, i can see how it would annoy people with buggies or wheelchairs that have to walk out on the road to get around the car, thats really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I can't say I notice the parking on the footpaths too much but almost everyday somebody tries to under cut me on the roundabouts at pramerica and the hospital. This morning I nearly drove across the bonnet of honda civic at pramerica and the driver had the cheek to flash the lights at me!!

Learn the correct lanes FFS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Farls wrote: »
    I can't say I notice the parking on the footpaths too much but almost everyday somebody tries to under cut me on the roundabouts at pramerica and the hospital. This morning I nearly drove across the bonnet of honda civic at pramerica and the driver had the cheek to flash the lights at me!!

100% agreed, i cant believe how many people still get it wrong. Some drivers are just oblivious, they hear horns blowing and just think it was someone they know :rolleyes:

The parking at the front and back of the LYIT is chaos, even though the garda said they were going to ticket any car parked on the footpath or on yellow lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Ah well now lads, have you ever seen the parking in front of the Garda Station, especially at the two gates.....nuf said

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I had noticed that too, especially on the hospital roundabout. Some, I believe, deliberately use the wrong lane so as to use it as an overtaking lane.

byte wrote: »
    Yeah, I had noticed that too, especially on the hospital roundabout. Some, I believe, deliberately use the wrong lane so as to use it as an overtaking lane.

This is the case alright sometimes, a lot of the time its people who just don't know the protocol for roundabouts! Either way I keep the boot down and bull through!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

This is the case alright sometimes, a lot of the time its people who just don't know the protocol for roundabouts! Either way I keep the boot down and bull through!!

Yeah, Taxis the worst offenders, also the biggest criers of how they are hard done by and in my book shouldn't have a psv if they don't know this roundabout........ theres even arrows painted on the road for their benefit....

Not that the Guards will ever bother spending a day enforcing the law there... Manor Roundabout much easier...lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

I think every roundabout in the country should be designed to conform to standard entry /exit lanes. In this way strangers and tourists will easily know the correct lane.

Should also only be a maximum of four roads leading to a roundabout. Tesco roundabout is a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

For that remark, thank you.

re the Tesco roundabout, I mean.

My heart is in my mouth every time approach it; not very often thankfully.

And I tend to go in very early in the day; although they now open only 7 am to midnight.
    emmemm wrote: »
    I think every roundabout in the country should be designed to conform to standard entry /exit lanes. In this way strangers and tourists will easily know the correct lane.

Should also only be a maximum of four roads leading to a roundabout. Tesco roundabout is a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

sorella wrote: »
    And I tend to go in very early in the day; although they now open only 7 am to midnight.
    Is Tesco not open 24/7 any more? (Sorry for going a bit OT there).

byte wrote: »
    Is Tesco not open 24/7 any more? (Sorry for going a bit OT there).

Nope finished that a gud few weeks ago AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Whattheheck

Speaking of Manor roundabout !!

Manor man doing driving test .....

Instructor: What sign do you see when you approach a roundabout ?
    Manorman; Eh, Spuds for sale? :D:D

Agree that all roundabouts should be standard rules/lanes .

Just after lunch there, long traffic jam up high road from traffic lights to near enough the orchard inn. I was at the back, motorist 2 cars in front pulls out of traffic jam and drives down wrong side of road to cut up past the garda station. I was shocked to see somebody perform such a stunt. Next thing another car attempts same but there is a white van coming up high road and see's what is taking place so plants his foot down!! Car had to reverse then to the old fire station to pull in and rightly so.

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Just after lunch there, long traffic jam up high road from traffic lights to near enough the orchard inn. I was at the back, motorist 2 cars in front pulls out of traffic jam and drives down wrong side of road to cut up past the garda station. I was shocked to see somebody perform such a stunt. Next thing another car attempts same but there is a white van coming up high road and see's what is taking place so plants his foot down!! Car had to reverse then to the old fire station to pull in and rightly so.

Unbelievable.

What have we done to the world, look what we've done

Saw the same action a few months ago. This one met a squad car coming up. :D:DHope he got done.

Forgot to add twas a taxi, double glee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

this town is getting worse every day,was stopped second to go at traffic lights coming down high road, you can see the lights going red for traffic comming up main street, 4 cars drive into the yellow box and stop even though lights are red!!! usually get one chancer but 4!!! All the guards need to do is stand at gallaghers or courthouse and clamp down on it during busy times, do that for a week and people will soon stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

Speaking of Manor roundabout !!

Manor man doing driving test .....

Instructor: What sign do you see when you approach a roundabout ?
    Manorman; Eh, Spuds for sale? :D:D

Agree that all roundabouts should be standard rules/lanes .

I'm a new poster to this forum , even though I've read it a few times.... I have to say Whattheheck, your post made me laugh tonight and It was a laugh I needed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy and continue to post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

one thing i have noticed about driving in letterkenny is that people don't use
    their bloody indicators:mad:

• Advertisement

googlehead wrote: »
    one thing i have noticed about driving in letterkenny is that people don't use
    their bloody indicators:mad:

indi-whats?!?!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Anyone notice how taxi's always pull out in front of you when passing the market square? Or can they? Someone told me they can, I just wave them on now just incase

Lobster wrote: »
    Anyone notice how taxi's always pull out in front of you when passing the market square? Or can they? Someone told me they can, I just wave them on now just incase

taxi drivers have no special rights..

emmemm wrote: »
    taxi drivers have no special rights..
    Quite right and they are one of two particular group of drivers that I would never show any from of road courtesy towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

muffler wrote: »
    Quite right and they are one of two particular group of drivers that I would never show any from of road courtesy towards.

And the other one: Everybody else? :D

sesswhat wrote: »
    And the other one: Everybody else? :D
    Nope. Women :eek:

muffler wrote: »
    Nope. Women :eek:
    :eek::eek: Depends what the coupon is like on her!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

While driving through town,I have noticed that women never let me out.My brother mentioned it the other day and I dissmissed him,until I was driving about myself:eek::eek:

They just put on the blinkers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

While driving through town,I have noticed that women never let me out.My brother mentioned it the other day and I dissmissed him,until I was driving about myself:eek::eek:

They just put on the blinkers!

totally true. i was discussing it with someone else myself and they agreed, women rarely let you out. in my last job as i was coming out on to a busy road and traffic is usually crawling they will actually just block the entrance and i won't be able to get out even though they will be going no where fast in the traffic.

i just don't let any women out anymore,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

Well you know I am one of those...a woman! :eek:
    However, I do agree to an extent with ya'll in fairness :)

I've had numerous 'run ins' with female drivers that annoyed me.
    I let people out all the time. It’s all part of how you are as a driver and to other road users.

I'm very aware of driver etiquette and the lack of it annoys me a lot!
    Actually, it drives me mad to be honest and I am the same sex!

Unfortunately there are too many of 'my type' that gives the rest of us a bad name!

I agree where you are coming from...

Don't start me on the school runs, where it appears it is perfectly fine to abandon your X5 or like wherever you may choose!

And on that point don't start me with those that come to a complete stop when meeting speed ramps!!! Does an off-road vehicle mean anything?!

And...And...And don't start me on the use of indicators and roundabouts!

I could rant for 3 hours…Yes I am a woman :)

I do have to say though there are a lot of bad drivers from both sexes out there so please don't tar us all with the one big brush!

Some of us (there are exceptions to the rule) actually do know how to drive, really enjoy it and are nice about it :)

Advertisement