Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Setting up a webserver

• 04-03-2009 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Are we allowed to discuss ISP's in regards to wheter or not the running of your own webserver is allowed?

The purpose of the websever is for personal use (host my FYP for a few months). But for the future, I wouldn't mind having the option of permanently having a webserver to offer DNS/FTP/Hosting.
    I rang the customer service but they had no clue. Then on hold for 30mins+

Anyway, I'll post up a snippet of the Acceptable Usage Policy: (company name witheld)
    This section applies where we provide you with webspace as part of the Services or if you run a webserver on your own computer. If you are running a webserver on your own computer you are solely responsible for the security and setup for that server. You are also responsible for all traffic through your server even if you personally did not originate it. Where the website is held on our servers, you must keep your own back-up copies of any data and files. We do not keep back-up copies of your pages and will not be liable for any loss of your data or files.

You are responsible for the content of your website (including any content you link to) which must comply with this User Policy. You must obtain all necessary rights and clearances for the inclusion and publication of anyone else’s work on your website. (See Section 5 for more information). You must ensure that no adult material is displayed or linked before a clear warning has been given and the user has had the opportunity to decline to view such material.

You may not run a web site where access is subject to a premium rate telephone charge or which redirects you to such a website.

We may remove or request the removal of any material or links from your website if we consider that you are in breach of this User Policy.

If your website generates abnormally high hit levels or generates abnormally high levels of network traffic, we may at our discretion move it and/or restrict access to it and you shall be liable for any additional charges arising from our action. This may include but is not limited to suspending your Internet access. If you are running the webserver from your own computer we may restrict or suspend your access to the internet until we receive a written (signed letter) reassurance from you that any breach of this User Policy has been rectified. On termination of your Internet account and/or Interactive Services for any reason, we may delete your website from our server immediately and without any liability to you.

You are solely responsible for the setup and security of all servers that you may run on your computer. You are also responsible for all traffic that may pass through your computer. CompanyX cannot be held liable for any losses or damages that may occur as a result of a compromise of your server. Please note that your account may be subject to immediate suspension or disconnection without notice, if any security breaches do occur or any server causes any degradation in network performance. You should also note that running servers on your computer may cause your own connection to operate in a less than optimal manner.

All remote access (FTP; SSH; PC Anywhere etc) must be password protected & the address must not be publicly advertised.

For online gaming, if the game in question has a password/IP access restriction option this must be used. Your IP address must not be publicly advertised on Gaming sites etc.

You must ensure that you do not further the sending of Unsolicited Bulk Email by others. This applies to both material that originates on your system and also third party material that might pass through it. This includes but is not limited to a prohibition on running an “open mail relay”, i.e. a machine which accepts mail from unauthorized or unknown senders and forwards it onward to a destination outside of your machine or network. If your machine does relay mail, on an authorized basis, then it must record its passing through your system by means of an appropriate “Received” line.

You may run other servers but be aware that CompanyX reserves the right to restrict access to them should they cause network problems or should we receive complaints.

From what I can see, setting up a webserver for personal use is fine or am i missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

stevire wrote: »
    Are we allowed to discuss ISP's in regards to wheter or not the running of your own webserver is allowed?

The purpose of the websever is for personal use (host my FYP for a few months). But for the future, I wouldn't mind having the option of permanently having a webserver to offer DNS/FTP/Hosting.
    I rang the customer service but they had no clue. Then on hold for 30mins+

Anyway, I'll post up a snippet of the Acceptable Usage Policy: (company name witheld)

From what I can see, setting up a webserver for personal use is fine or am i missing something?

Looks like you will have no problem, and realistically, if is only for your own usage, wouldn't really have any problems with any ISP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

You would be much better getting the server colocated in a datacentre when you want to offer services like DNS/FTP/hosting to other people. That way it'll have a much better connection, backup power, dedicated IPs etc.

Advertisement