Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute Times in Galway City

Options
  • 04-03-2009 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out how long it takes to travel by car from the outskirts of Galway city to the city centre at peak rush hour periods (7-9 and 1600-1900).
    This is for a college project I'm doing.
    Does anyone know if this information is availible anywhere-I've tried the City Council but they don't have it.
    Or from personal experience does anyone have any estimates?

Really appreciate any help!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It seems to vary on the day as far I can tell...and define outskirts?. It took me close to an hour to drive from Renmore to St. Marys road one evening around 5

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It has often taken me one hour to get from Ballybrit to Dominic Street around 5pm. Going Monivea Rd past by Wellpark and along Lough Italia, Wellpark roundabout being the bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You could ask Jon Richards from Galway Bay FM (his email should be on their web site). Jon does the traffic reports on GBFM, and would have a good idea, as he travels the routes daily on his motorcycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

it depends - from Parkmore to bottom of Taylor's Hill takes about 15 minutes at 4.30 pm, but can easily take an hour around 5 pm.

Usually it's a 30 minutes average.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

pmg001 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm trying to find out how long it takes to travel by car from the outskirts of Galway city to the city centre at peak rush hour periods (7-9 and 1600-1900).
    As others said, you'll have to define outskirts. I travel in from Barna and the traffic is normally flowing pretty freely up until 8pm or so. I'm usually in work by then so I can't say for sure. The drive into the city would normally only take me 10-15 mins at most. Coming out from Galway to Barna in the evening is a different story. Factoring in the bloody roadworks in the village it can easily take twice as long as the morning travelling the same road but in reverse obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

malice_ wrote: »
    As others said, you'll have to define outskirts. I travel in from Barna and the traffic is normally flowing pretty freely up until 8pm or so. I'm usually in work by then so I can't say for sure. The drive into the city would normally only take me 10-15 mins at most. Coming out from Galway to Barna in the evening is a different story. Factoring in the bloody roadworks in the village it can easily take twice as long as the morning travelling the same road but in reverse obviously.

You drive home in reverse?? Fair play! :eek: ;)

OP, Doughiska to city centre just after 9 takes between 20-30 mins, probably a lot more before 9, and at 5.30-6 in the evening going home takes about 20 mins usually.

Zzippy wrote: »
    You drive home in reverse?? Fair play! :eek: ;)
    I find it's the best way to avoid falling asleep when you're in bumper-to-bumper traffic. It also keeps the other drivers on their toes :).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Franky Stein

Definately depends on timing and weather, my experience leaving from derrydonnell to eyre square leaving at 8 am takes approx 45 minutes to an hour. Leaving 5 or 10 minutes earlier it can be down to 25-35 minutes.
    Going the other direction in the evening, always seems to average 40-45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

I drive from uchg to renmore, traffic in the morning is fine as i work very early. If i leave work at 4 like i'm supposed to then i'm home in about 20 mins coming via the dyke road, however if i'm late it can take min 30mins and god forbid i go up the dublin road, at least 40mins with the road works :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

malice_ wrote: »
    I find it's the best way to avoid falling asleep when you're in bumper-to-bumper traffic. It also keeps the other drivers on their toes :).

Not to mention being able to flirt with the driver behind you, er, in front of you...? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

suppose anything from 30-50 minutes from say briarhill to eyre square but yes weather is a variable. Galway Bay FM would probably be your best bet...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Not to mention being able to flirt with the driver behind you, er, in front of you...? ;)
    Sure, why not! :).

Advertisement