Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is nuclear power feasible in our current economy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Is this type of system possible with the wave reactor generator ?

try this for size http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogeneration

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Darragh29 wrote: »
    You can just see the headline already...

"Meltdown in Ireland while Nuclear Regulator Sleeps"

The day we put a nuclear reactor on this Island is the day I'm outa here!

Its a physical impossibility for modern reactor designs to meltdown.

No matter how much you could screw up, it goes against the laws of physics as they are all designed with a negative void coefficient, so the hotter they get the slower the reaction takes place.

Also to make you sleep tighter at night, there are still 3 nuclear power plants with the reactor design that was used at chernobyl in use :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I think the infrastructure involved is a major issue...Think about it, we would have to dig up all of the roads, all the way from Malin head to Mizen head and out to clifden. It would only really work in a city and it would involve a huge amount of disruption that would cost a fortune. Maybe if there were a load of tunnels or something there already which could be converted.

Plus, it dosen't mention how the steam is created in the first place.

I should of used this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogeneration
    Was thinking along the lines of industrial companies utilising it locally to a generator.

Yeah ,it says the generator runs at 550oC and is cooled by liquid sodium ,but looking at other generators they use water to do it:confused:

peasant wrote: »

Yeah thats what I was thinking of ,I've never been to new york but I got the run down of the system from someone.

Yeah thats what I was thinking of ,I've never been to new york but I got the run down of the system from someone.

well variations of co-generating plants work well in Denmark (and other countries), I don't see any reason why they shouldn't here.

Feed the power to the grid and the heat to the houses. Entire estates could have been built on this basis had we had proper planning during the building boom. But, alas, our governement .... well, you know the rest.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Regulation is not a strong point in Ireland.

I think we know that much after the last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Peteee wrote: »
    Its a physical impossibility for modern reactor designs to meltdown.

No matter how much you could screw up, it goes against the laws of physics as they are all designed with a negative void coefficient, so the hotter they get the slower the reaction takes place.

Also to make you sleep tighter at night, there are still 3 nuclear power plants with the reactor design that was used at chernobyl in use :)

I posted a link to pebble reactor earlier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble_bed_reactor

basically you are right

as reactor heats up the pebbles expand and reaction coolsdown

the reactor in a container links i posted work along the lines and hence dont need anyone keeping eye on them

no chernobyl style meltdown :p

btw the chernobyl accident is quite interesting read, basically these guys decided to see how far they can push the reactor *with safeties off* :D and top of my head reactor 4 blew the lid (quite literary), these soviet reactors didnt have protective concrete shells which would have prevented the release of nuclear material into the environment, and yes if it makes people sleep better at night the other reactors are still working [there are 3 left at the Chernobyl site] with people being employed and other similar model reactors scattered thruout old ussr :p

also the Chernobyl disaster has been greatly over hyped, beside the firefighters that died straight away the recent UN report says less harm was observed than predicted
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/05/AR2005090501144.html
    Only 50 deaths can be directly attributed to radiation at
    Chernobyl.

i can recommend an interesting book
    http://www.amazon.com/Power-Save-World-Nuclear-Energy/dp/0307266567

Page 98:
    There is a table of millirems per year from the
    background in a list of inhabited places.
    Chernobyl: 490 millirem/year
    Guarapari, Brazil: 3700 millirem/year
    Tamil Nadu, India: 5300 millirem/year
    Ramsar, Iran: 8900 to 13200 millirem/year
    Zero excess cancer deaths are recorded. All are natural except for
    Chernobyl.

Page 50:
    Power reactors make Plutonium 240 [Pu240]. Pu240 is
    useless for making bombs. Plutonium bombs require Pu239.
    Pu239 is made in reactors that are specialized for making Pu239.
    Governments own Pu239 makers, not power companies.

Page 75:
    A coal fired power plant gives you 100 to 400 times as
    much radiation as a nuclear power plant. Worldwide, an average
    person gets 0.01 millirem/year from nuclear power plants, the same
    as eating one banana. Bananas contain potassium and some of the
    potassium is radioactive potassium 40. This has always been the
    case.

Page 196:
    The captured fly ash [from a COAL fired power plant] includes arsenic, lead, molybdenum, cadmium, chromium, uranium and thorium. The fly ash is mixed with water, then dried out. Coal waste goes into bowling balls, golf balls, wallboard, paving materials and land fills. Mercury is an invisible gas as it exits the stacks. “Coal-fired plants are the biggest producers of mercury emissions in the country, spouting fifty unregulated tons per year.” “A 1,000-megawatt coal plant also freely disperses about twenty-seven metric tons of radiological material a year, exposing people to much more low-level radiation than a nuclear plant would.”

Moneypoint is 1000MW, i hope you dont happen to live next to it....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Why does this statement fill me with a strong sense of unease?

ah, yes ...apples and oranges ...that's why :pac:

Yes and no. Running a nuclear power station is very different to designing and building one and substantially simpler. Send a team of core people to an identical reactor abroad of the design we're building and so on. There's a substantial body of knowledge and training available to us in the EU in this matter. It's not like we'll have to jump in blind or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

To answer my own question on the power output/demand

Demand - Judging by the ESB who's generation capacity is 4651MW, and that they provide most electricity. So the common demand level should be less then this say more towards 4000MW

A quick google of France's reactors (I picked a smallish one from wikipedia) has an output of 2,726 MW.

Now is it a good idea to have one location supplying 3/4 of Ireland's Energy?

nesf wrote: »
    Yes and no. Running a nuclear power station is very different to designing and building one and substantially simpler. Send a team of core people to an identical reactor abroad of the design we're building and so on. There's a substantial body of knowledge and training available to us in the EU in this matter. It's not like we'll have to jump in blind or anything.

simple question:

Do you sign the receipt as "unchecked" when the DHL man delivers your brand new breeder reactor?

Ever assembled a flatpack? There's always either one screw missing or a few left over when you're done :D

Sure, we'll just train the operators and let them start up our brand new reactor ...don't forget yer allen keys, boys :pac:

Just a tad blue-eyed, methinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭SeanW

Cliste wrote: »
    To answer my own question on the power output/demand

Demand - Judging by the ESB who's generation capacity is 4651MW, and that they provide most electricity. So the common demand level should be less then this say more towards 4000MW

A quick google of France's reactors (I picked a smallish one from wikipedia) has an output of 2,726 MW.

Now is it a good idea to have one location supplying 3/4 of Ireland's Energy?
    Ok, first of all, no single reactor provides 2726MW or anything resembling. The highest possible power rating for a single reactor is for the European Pressurised Water Reactor (EPR) @1600MW. Two are under construction. The highest rated reactors in France are generally in the 1300MW range.

Your figure may refer to a multi-reactor power station - big difference. Noone in their right mind would suggest putting 2 or 3 EPRs in one place for Ireland's purposes - that would be about as great a folly as sticking our fingers in our ears and singing "Windmills Uber Alles." Indulging in the fantasy that renewables will save us is crazy - it's been tried in Germany and they found that they still had to go back to that thorny question - filthy fossil fuels vs. nuclear.
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,472786,00.html
    Unfortunately, at the behest of the so called "environmentalists" they chose the former, and have gone on a coal fired power plant building spress the likes of which is not to be seen anywhere else save perhaps China. :mad: The environment, as well as the health of the European people, is going to pay a sever price for that error. When are we going to stand up and say enough is enough?

As an Irish nuclear power advocate, I would suggest using small reactor technologies such as the Pebble Bed Reactor and/or the Toshiba "Micro Nuke" nuclear battery type reactors - does the same business as the big plants - in some ways even better - but without a lot of the trappings of big-station nuclear.

Renewables don't work. Unless someone comes up with the "killer app" for energy storage, weather based renewables cannot possibly take over the National Grid. End of story. So we need to choose between the best baseline option - and generally speaking we have two options, fossil fuels and nuclear, with biomass, renewables, waste to energy and CHP filling secondary roles. We need to accept this reality, and those who ignore the boom in fossil fuel energy like the Greenpeace nuts (natural gas in Ireland and coal in Germany) should be held morally accountable for the damage they cause.

I want to get a few things clear

i am not against renewables, as someone who worked with power generation and seen the data on wind power, I am being a realist here and realize it will not solve all our problems alone due to some serious and expensive shortcomings

i am against dirty fossil fuel plants, ive been at quite a few power plants in this country, and after seeing the mountains of coal they burn in moneypoint (yes i know ESB is spending 300 million on "environmental retrofit" project) one quickly realises that this country is very very un green :D

this thread shouldn't be an argument of windpower (etc) vs nuclear

but instead what this country needs is a mix, the following energy mix would be ideal

40-60% Nuclear > providing most of the base load
    20-30% Renewable > renewables already get priority and since nuclear plants can ramp up/down ouput faster than coal plants makes for quite flexible mix, also included in this more energy storage solutions

remainder % > Gas , this is the cleanest of the fossil fuels, allows for the power plants to be ramped up/down very quickly (compared to days it takes to warm up turf/coal plants) and we have amounts of it off our shores

once this is in place i would love to have a big inter connector and a DC grid to lower transmission losses
    all the dirty coal, oil and turf be closed (ESB will go down kicking and screaming)
    any excess electricity from the nuke/wind plants/farms could be converted to hydrogen and maybe used to power the public transport fleet

and there kids we have a solution to the energy needs of this country for the 21st century, and from my back of napkin calculations its still cheaper than relying on foreign energy resources and bailing out corrupt banks

the above would create alot of engineering jobs and r&d which is exactly what this country needs to be competitive, also cheap and reliable energy sources would attract hi-tech industries such as data centers(my current line of work) creating further employment, the above can be achieved in a 5-7 year window, this country has done big projects before during some bad times and it can be done again

edit: someone mentioned cogeneration, i lived in a place that has this and its great, free heat in winter (and winters were cold there) and since the pipes were poorly insulated the main street under which it ran was always ice free :D not sure whether by design or genuine frack up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Some great posting here.
    I dont work in power generation, but my limited knowledge I deem that Nuclear power generation is the best hope we have for progress.

Renewables have very important role but they can only be secondary to the known safe results Nuclear can deliver.

I know its not popular or sexy but the government should get wise to it and act. Unfortunately there are more votes amongst hysterical NIMBy sheeple than the informed guys posting above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

SeanW wrote: »
    Your figure may refer to a multi-reactor power station - big difference. Noone in their right mind would suggest putting 2 or 3 EPRs in one place for Ireland's purposes - that would be about as great a folly as sticking our fingers in our ears and singing "Windmills Uber Alles." Indulging in the fantasy that renewables will save us is crazy - it's been tried in Germany and they found that they still had to go back to that thorny question - filthy fossil fuels vs. nuclear.

I didn't mention windmills... - I'm just trying to see how economical it is - in money terms. Good post though, worthy of a thanks if you hadn't mentioned windmills.:pac:

Well assuming that we do go the nuclear option surely it would be significantly cheaper to just have the one plant I would think? Especially given the size of Ireland.. (France has only one single reactor plant in this list)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭SeanW

Cliste wrote: »
    I didn't mention windmills... - I'm just trying to see how economical it is - in money terms. Good post though, worthy of a thanks if you hadn't mentioned windmills.:pac:
    I was responding more to Peasant etc who were going on about how great renewables are. Anyone who thinks the question is renewables versus nuclear is either being intellectually dishonest or living on cloud cookoo land.
    Well assuming that we do go the nuclear option surely it would be significantly cheaper to just have the one plant I would think? Especially given the size of Ireland.. (France has only one single reactor plant in this list)
    No, for two reasons:
    First of all, for Grid-safety, you have to have to produce more power than consumers are using - you must have a margin for a sudden demand plus you must be able to cover the failure of one of your plants. If you have a French style large plant, the Irish grid would need 1.3GW of spare capacity running to cover the failure of one of them. That would be wasteful in the extreme.

Small nuclear solutions would be better for Ireland for this reason, also because they have less demands for construction and simpler refuelling, indeed some reactor designs are self-contained "nuclear battery" type, running for their lifetime with their initial fuel loading. In addition, solutions like the Toshiba 4S come in 10MW and 50MW varieties, the specifications call for them to be encased in a concrete box underground completely isolated from the environment with only a control room on the surface. No massive (and energy wasting) cooling tower, less need for security, and being a small, unobtrusive generator, you could in theory put them in urban industrial parks instead of centralised plants with long transmission lines (another big waste of energy).

SeanW wrote: »
    ...some reactor designs are self-contained "nuclear battery" type, running for their lifetime with their initial fuel loading. In addition, solutions like the Toshiba 4S come in 10MW and 50MW varieties, the specifications call for them to be encased in a concrete box underground completely isolated from the environment with only a control room on the surface.

Going nuclear for 10 MW?

You know that there are wind turbines out there capable of generating 5MW per turbine?

Given the choice between two or three wind turbines and one nuclear "battery" in my backyard, I know which one I'd go for

Given the choice between two or three wind turbines and one nuclear "battery" in my backyard, I know which one I'd go for

Most people are for both ,the nuclear end of things would obviously need a lot of public support though.
    No one has anything against windfarms ,apart from planning permission.

Going nuclear for 10 MW?

You know that there are wind turbines out there capable of generating 5MW per turbine?

easy the one that will keep working when the wind stops blowing or blows to strongly ( most power generated between 13 and 25 m/s )

i would hate to see you try to run a factory, datacenter or a hospital on a wind power alone :eek:

the guy hits on an interesting idea of distributed generation, transmission losses are huge % on any grid since no one wants a high voltage transmission line in their back yard and we still don't have superconductors

you still haven't got the concept of base load and that for every unit of wind power a unit of backup fossil fuel power that can be brought up online quickly is required, your coal/turf/oil plants take days to "warm" up, gas ones take about hour or so, pumped storage few minutes (these use more power than they make) while wind power can drop of a cliff at any time

there are reasons why all generating companies in ireland are so interested in wind speed forecasts, their bids on the energy pools for the day are based on thsi variable as well as availability and other costs

ionix5891 wrote: »
    you still haven't got the concept of base load and that for every unit of wind power a unit of backup fossil fuel power that can be brought up online quickly is required, your coal/turf/oil plants take days to "warm" up, gas ones take about hour or so, pumped storage few minutes (these use more power than they make) while wind power can drop of a cliff at any time

I perfectly understand the concept of base load, what you don't want to understand on the other hand is scale.

Look at a wind map of Ireland on any given day. It is never uniform. There are different windspeeds in different locations all the time, ergo some of the wind generators will be working all the time.

Put enough of them all over the country (and out into the sea where there always is wind) so that you can cover 60-70% of base demand even in adverse conditions.

In good conditions this of course means that you will produce 150-200% of peak demand.

The challenge then is to store this excess energy so that you can feed it back into the system when conditions change.

Pumped storage would be the glaringly obvious one. With large enough reservoirs (lakes rather than tanks) connected to hydropower stations you could be flexible enough to cover all conditions and save enough energy during the good times to keep those hydro power stations running for weeks rather than just hours at a time if needs be.

I still think (can't prove it though) that this would be cheaper to build (factoring in all life time costs) than nuclear power stations. Plus we could build all of this ourselves indigineously (including all the generators and the infrastructure) instead of having to buy it in. So you would boost the economy twofold, firstly by building the infrastructure and secondly by having cheap energy to use.

IMO, Ireland is ideally situated to do this, as we have plenty of wind and water, but also enough suitable virtually empty landscape going spare where you could put these things without meeting too much resistance.

Whats stopping the government using the unemployed tradesmen ,to work on windfarm projects then.

We might actually get something out of this stint we're in at the moment.

• Advertisement

Whats stopping the government using the unemployed tradesmen ,to work on windfarm projects then.

they are too caught up with pouring money down banking black holes and dinning out with the golden shower :D

The government are pi$$in in the wind at the moment ,thats the only thing there doing with it.:D

Exactly my point ...thanks for getting it :D

But whats stopping us doing both though ? ,in all seriousness.

Better to have an export in the the planning ,than a fancy underground train full of suitcases.

you know if all thes construction workers were put into building a better infrastructure all well and good i would be happy of such a decision, at least its more useful than empty houses :)

but there are issues,
    * it would seem as "communistic" just look at the names Obama is being called for bringing up the idea of public works projects
    * how to pay for it? the government is about to dig into the infrastructure purse as well cutting/postponing vital projects such as motorways (this will hurt us in long term)

We shouldn't let things get us down though ,there is loads this country can do and we've a lot to look forward to I think.

Obama seems like a genuine person ,but it will cost us in the long run ,he seems like a homegrown type of person.

I believe we should look towards europe for our future ,with relations in china/japan.

We shouldn't let things get us down though ,there is loads this country can do and we've a lot to look forward to I think.

Obama seems like a genuine person ,but it will cost us in the long run ,he seems like a homegrown type of person.

I believe we should look towards europe for our future ,with relations in china/japan.

we the irish stuck a middle finger up to europe less than a year ago, i sure hope they dont hold it against us and we as nation come to our senses that ireland can not float alone in the world (just point to Iceland the next time a Liberats/SF supporter says we can do it alone, i still remember Lisbon threads last year with NO supporters pointing at Iceland's "success" and wealth of resources such as fishing :) what a difference a few months make)

japan is after suffering 40% drop in imports they are after emerging from a rot only to be dragged into another one

china is holding all the cards and has potential to emerge out of this crisis as the only superpower
    ironic how their mix of communism and capitalism is leading to success, these people have it all planned out for decades ahead, and dont suffer from our short term thinking government and if you dont want a dam, road or powerplant in your backyard, tough! :D

us is like a person who mortgaged themselves out 10x their income and now their income is dwindling and they are looking for another huge mortgage, hence Hillary Clinton's "beggin bowl" mission to China

i sure hope Obama will turn things as the alternative will be ugly, China and US are currently in a economic version of "Mutual Assured Destruction" with china owning huge $ reserves and us addicted to cheap imports

for anyone looking for some good reading here is one excellent blog
    http://cynicuseconomicus.blogspot.com/2009/03/china-gold-and-us.html

cheerio

you know if all thes construction workers were put into building a better infrastructure all well and good i would be happy of such a decision, at least its more useful than empty houses :)

but there are issues,
    * it would seem as "communistic" just look at the names Obama is being called for bringing up the idea of public works projects
    * how to pay for it? the government is about to dig into the infrastructure purse as well cutting/postponing vital projects such as motorways (this will hurt us in long term)

I believe (although I'm not sure) that something like this could be done without too much money actually flowing out of the governement koffers.

There are quite a few Irish companies already dabbling in wind and other alternative energies, those companies need boosting.

A grant here and there, but more importantly, a governement plan of what needs to be built where, a legislative framework for express planning permission processes, a standardised design specification, regulation of the energy market to boost alternative power sources and their access to the grid...in short a big governement push towards alternative energy and these companies should be flying, despite the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

we the irish stuck a middle finger up to europe less than a year ago, i sure hope they dont hold it against us and we as nation come to our senses that ireland can not float alone in the world (just point to Iceland the next time a Liberats/SF supporter says we can do it alone, i still remember Lisbon threads last year with NO supporters pointing at Iceland's "success" and wealth of resources such as fishing :) what a difference a few months make)

japan is after suffering 40% drop in imports they are after emerging from a rot only to be dragged into another one

china is holding all the cards and has potential to emerge out of this crisis as the only superpower
    ironic how their mix of communism and capitalism is leading to success, these people have it all planned out for decades ahead, and dont suffer from our short term thinking government and if you dont want a dam, road or powerplant in your backyard, tough! :D

us is like a person who mortgaged themselves out 10x their income and now their income is dwindling and they are looking for another huge mortgage, hence Hillary Clinton's "beggin bowl" mission to China

i sure hope Obama will turn things as the alternative will be ugly, China and US are currently in a economic version of "Mutual Assured Destruction" with china owning huge $ reserves and us addicted to cheap imports

for anyone looking for some good reading here is one excellent blog
    http://cynicuseconomicus.blogspot.com/2009/03/china-gold-and-us.html

cheerio

I agree with your sentiments, but I think its wrong the say that China will emerge the only superpower.
    The only financial superpower, that seems more reasonable.
    The EU is actually the largest economy in the world, but given that we are less than a confederation, its not really comparing like for like.

But nobody can come within a running jump of the US in terms of military might. The US have the biggest and most advanced and most plentiful supply of weaponary, aircraft, navy and army.
    The only people who could even dream of standing up to them would be Russia, and thats if they invaded Russia, and even at that, its pushing it.

The Chinese have a huge army, but not advanced, they buy technology from the Russians and rent their pilots for training and their mechanics frequently too.

Besides, a large chunk of the US population are by and large so brainwashed, that they would fight for free on an empty stomach, just out of patriotisim, ideology and religious beliefs.

But anyway, I'm going way off topic.
    Lots more info here if you're interested:
    http://www.strategypage.com/dls/default.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

As for nuclear power, we have a massive market next door in the UK or even France or Spain, where we could sell electricity.

The problem is that our government tend to sell off our natural resources or national advantages for short term gain rather than long term affluency.

"Why settle for 50Euro tommorow, if we can have 1Euro today"

Advertisement