Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will a meteor phone work on the eircom network

• 04-03-2009 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

As the title says, If i buy a meteor prepaid phone will it work on the eircom m mobile network

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

As the title says, If i buy a meteor prepaid phone will it work on the eircom m mobile network

Thanks
    Yes it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Yes it will.

Only if it is unlocked. :)

If it is locked to the Meteor network, it won't. Actually, do Meteor lock phones to their network?

Only if it is unlocked. :)

If it is locked to the Meteor network, it won't. Actually, do Meteor lock phones to their network?

As Eircom Mobile are an MVNO on Meteor's network, handsets bought from Eircom Mobile can be used with Meteor sim cards and vice versa. Meteor do lock their handsets to their network though, so O2, Vodafone, 3 sim cards etc will not work without the handset being unlocked first.

As Eircom Mobile are an MVNO on Meteor's network, handsets bought from Eircom Mobile can be used with Meteor sim cards and vice versa. Meteor do lock their handsets to their network though, so O2, Vodafone, 3 sim cards etc will not work without the handset being unlocked first.

Ah, that explains why my wife's O2 sim card wouldn't work on my Meteor 6300.

Makes sense. Sure don't Eircom own Meteor?

Ah, that explains why my wife's O2 sim card wouldn't work on my Meteor 6300.

Makes sense. Sure don't Eircom own Meteor?

They do indeed. It makes sense for them to operate a business orientated MVNO, since they already own the mobile network they are using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

-Phuqer- wrote: »
    Yeah Meteor definately lock their headsets.

Not all of them mind. I've got a couple of phones just after they came out that they just put straight out there without any locking or branding on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

am I missing something, Eircom own Meteor...if you buy a Meteor phone its already running on the "eircom mobile network"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Cabaal wrote: »
    am I missing something, Eircom own Meteor...if you buy a Meteor phone its already running on the "eircom mobile network"

They have a separate eircom branded product for business

It's similar to how Tesco mobile and O2 are technically the same network, but they have separate products, prices etc. Eircom mobile and Meteor are similar, but the main difference is that Eircom own Meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 creamteam

SIM WILL NOT WORK IN METEOR PHONE CALL <snip> IF YOU NEED HELP

creamteam wrote: »
    SIM WILL NOT WORK IN METEOR PHONE CALL <snip> IF YOU NEED HELP

Please don't post all in capitals, it looks like you are shouting.

Also, what connection do you have to Meteor or Eircom? What is that number for?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

http://business.eircom.net/mobile/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 creamteam

i work for eircom mobile and the info supplied is correct you can call me tomorrow if you need more info just ask for padraig. FYI i will post in any way i see fit as i am relaying my info onto you. if you feel you are the internet police and i have broken the rules then again you can contact me. thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

After all that shouting he's broken his caps key now!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jizzyboner

hi there

just as an aside. i bought 2 nokia phones last september on meteor billpay in carphone warehouse and the guy there told me that all the phones they get for meteor are never locked to meteor or anyone - right now i am using an N95 8GB on meteor and am using the E71 on 3.

from the info i was given this is the case with any phone you buy there for the meteor network. handy to know as it definitely doesn't work if you buy in a meteor shop.

jizzyboner wrote: »
    hi there

just as an aside. i bought 2 nokia phones last september on meteor billpay in carphone warehouse and the guy there told me that all the phones they get for meteor are never locked to meteor or anyone - right now i am using an N95 8GB on meteor and am using the E71 on 3.

from the info i was given this is the case with any phone you buy there for the meteor network. handy to know as it definitely doesn't work if you buy in a meteor shop.

That's not true. Or at least it wasn't when I worked there

It's pot luck to be honest. Some Meteor handsets from CPW are unlocked and some aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jizzyboner

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    That's not true. Or at least it wasn't when I worked there

you might be right sam - just what i was told last year - and the 2 phones i bought were definitely unlocked anyway - maybe i was just lucky :)

anyway manager of store definitely told me that whoever supplies them with phones for meteor network then they all unlocked day 1.

worked for me anyway - but i guess best to ask - my local store is very helpful anyway and nice staff - Tralee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i work for eircom mobile and the info supplied is correct you can call me tomorrow if you need more info just ask for padraig. FYI i will post in any way i see fit as i am relaying my info onto you. if you feel you are the internet police and i have broken the rules then again you can contact me. thank you.

doubt he'll be contacting you but in the meantime you can read this ...and mind the attitude.

back (sorta) on topic. it is indeed pot luck with CPW and unlocked meteor phones. some are, some are not.

• Advertisement

FYI i will post in any way i see fit as i am relaying my info onto you. if you feel you are the internet police and i have broken the rules then again you can contact me. thank you.

Oh will you now? Lose the attitude fairly lively or that will be your last post on Boards.ie.

Consider this your first, and final, warning.

if you feel you are the internet police and i have broken the rules then again you can contact me. thank you.

Being the moderator of this forum, he kind of is the internet police :P

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Being the moderator of this forum, he kind of is the internet police :P

We prefer the term Benevolent Dictator.

Police sounds to authoritative. :)

It wasn’t the best way for the Eircom Mobile employee to offer their service, by offending practically everybody who read their first two posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

It wasn’t the best way for the Eircom Mobile employee to offer their service, by offending practically everybody who read their first two posts.

Isn't that Eircom standard practice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Actually, do Meteor lock phones to their network?

Yup, although some of their billpay phones are sim free.

It's pot luck to be honest. Some Meteor handsets from CPW are unlocked and some aren't.

the prepay ones are locked and the bill pay ones unlocked.

Not too sure why, legally once someone signs a contract they can get the unlocking code. Although i don't think that has anything to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    the prepay ones are locked and the bill pay ones unlocked.

not exactly, some bill pay ones are locked, the SE c905 being one i think.

not exactly, some bill pay ones are locked, the SE c905 being one i think.

Depends where you got it.

Edit: Although in the last 2 months there has been se c902 but majority are unlocked

• Advertisement

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Not too sure why, legally once someone signs a contract they can get the unlocking code. Although i don't think that has anything to do with it.

Where did you get that idea? 3 won't give it to you

Advertisement