Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage left car in insafe condition

Options
  • 04-03-2009 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am asking this on behalf of a friend of mine....about a week ago his wife had a puncture in her car tyre so he took the car to a local garage, they fixed the puncture and swaped wheels, fixed tracking also. All work complete and paid for. Over the last few days his wife has been reportng a 'knocking' sound coming from the engine, been getting louder and louder so friend took it for a test drive yesterday evening, it did not sound right. He put the car up on jacks and soon found that one of the front wheels was about to fall off, it had never been tightned!!! He said it was literally hanging on the edge of the pins.

Obviously he is rageing about it, if the wheel came off people could have been killed, he want's to go down to garage and lay into them but I think he would be better off making an official complaint to the relevant standards body....so my question: who would be the appropriate people to report this incident to?
    The last thing he want's a 'free' voucher from the garage and say-no-more, these guys put lives at risk with their neglegence.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You must always check the nuts on a wheel after it has been tightened by an airjack, normally after a few trips its best to check them.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You must always check the nuts on a wheel after it has been tightened by an airjack, normally after a few trips its best to check them.

MC

It's very unlikely that it would get to the stage of the wheel literally hanging on by threads though. Sounds like the mechanic didn't tighten the nuts on this wheel..

True but the onus is still on you to check, that situation is just plain ridiculous though, that garage should be named and shamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I had no idea that the wheel nuts can come loose after a new wheel is put on. I do check them maybe once a month but I would never think to check them just a few days after a new wheel is put on!

Shouldn't the onus be on the garage to inform the customer they need to check the wheel nuts for the next few days?

Have been informed of this many times but can't remember if it is everytime I have heard this. Yeah they should remind the customer to check them after doing a few miles just to be sure.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

eth0_ wrote: »
    I had no idea that the wheel nuts can come loose after a new wheel is put on. I do check them maybe once a month but I would never think to check them just a few days after a new wheel is put on!

Shouldn't the onus be on the garage to inform the customer they need to check the wheel nuts for the next few days?

AFAIK it's in the owners manual to check your wheels a short time after changing them.

OP, just go back to the garage and say that they forgot to tighten one of the wheels. No point going to anyone else as there's sod all can be done.

It's always the drivers responsibility to make sure their vehicle is safe. No mater who just had it, we just expect it to be OK coming from a garage but everyone makes mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sconsey wrote: »
    ...Over the last few days his wife has been reportng a 'knocking' sound coming from the engine,...

Took a long time to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Where I get mine done, it says at the bottom of the printed receipt to check them after 30km or something. I've never had any problems though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

In the last 4 places I've had tyre work done, all 4 have advised me to check the nuts after a few miles (2 large chains, 2 local small biz). Did they tell her (and she doesn't remember/didn't understand?) by any chance? If not, are they a member of any body like the SIMI or something? I can't think of any appropriate body, otherwise, and you may be looking at speaking to a solicitor (I'm not sure you'll have much success, though).

Advertisement