Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone tax?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Without being overly negative:

The country is foooked. Ireland ltd needs money from where ever it can get it.

Why not the mobile phone users?

Erm, because the mobile phone users are us and we already pay tax and vat and will be hit for higher rates of possibly both next month as it is?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No new taxes on mobile phones
    Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Erm, because the mobile phone users are us and we already pay tax and vat and will be hit for higher rates of possibly both next month as it is?
    Those tax hikes next month.. prob to 50% and 25% respectively are a drop in the ocean.

The government is trying to kerb expenditure and increase income to try to stick to the huge deficit figures it submitted to the EU at the end of December.

• €10 yearly tax on all mobile phone accounts (similar to ATM card tax)
    1c tax, is an excellent pain free idea imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Some of you have missed the point of why some users have chosen a particular tax over another. I doubt any of us wish to pay more than we already do, but given the choice between the two taxes mentioned throughout this thread, the lesser of two evils, in my opinion, would be paying €10 a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Some of you have missed the point of why some users have chosen a particular tax over another. I doubt any of us wish to pay more than we already do, but given the choice between the two taxes mentioned throughout this thread, the lesser of two evils, in my opinion, would be paying €10 a year.

I think you will find, if you look again, that there are 3 options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

slash welfare, slash the minimum wage, and go through the public service with a lawnmower, they know exactly what to do.... trouble is they don't want to, Brian will loose his place in the history books... April will be interesting..

back on topic, I still reckon the 5cent txt tax is the way forward, free txts aren't helping the economy....

I really do not think they do.

They have what, 4 years left, in power, without being forced to call an election.

If I were Biffo, I would look at the situation, worst approval rating in history, it is only going to get worse. These are things we can be pretty sure of.

So I would be brave, I would rather go down in history as being the one who tried something drastic than the one who kept the band playing while the ship went down.

The next question is where to start the cull public workers. Oh and you are all paid too much in this country, its crazy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I think you will find, if you look again, that there are 3 options.

I'll rephrase the part of my post you have issue with, so you can better understand my point; “… the two most popular taxes mentioned throughout this thread.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there are new taxes on the way for everyone - they will at the very least stick a cent on both the income tax rates (maybe 2c).

In the past they've gone after credit\debit cards because virtually everyone has them and no-one wants to get rid of them. Exactly the same thing applies to mobile phones - a levy per account seems easy enough to administer, I wouldn't be surprised to see it brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Mr Bloat wrote: »

But you could say that about virtually any product/service you use.

My point is, as alluded to in the poll, if you had to accept a new tax (and let's be honest here, you don't have much of a choice if Biffo and the boys decide it), which one would you think would make most sense?

They are looking at every conceivable area to get in revenue, water rates, property tax, etc. and I think mobiles will be hit due to their popularity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Perhaps if they do perhaps we could all move over to a UK network that doesnt charge roaming fees whilst in Ireland??????? Like three?

Perhaps sales in mobiles across the border will increase like the sales of booze etc!!!! LOL

• Advertisement
Advertisement