Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussie Citizenship & Test

Options
  • 04-03-2009 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I'm about to apply for Australian citizenship but have to do the test first. It doesn't seem to be very hard, reading the booklet should get you a pass if you have any grasp of English at all but I hate tests :(

Has anyone done it? Did you find it easy? Did you study or just turn up? What does it feel like to have half your brain replaced with a meat pie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

I'd definitely study it a bit, it really shouldn't be too hard. Have never heard of anybody failing it, but best to make sure. You'll have a huge advantage that you can read and write in English I'd imagine, but make sure you go over the book a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Daithio

Why do you want to become Australian citizen. Its it not better just to be a ressident and that way you have all rights in Australia and also keep your citizenship of Ireland , If thats where you come from .

When you become an Australian citizen do you not give up your other citizenship. So you would have to get a tourist visa to go back to your country of birth .

Don't get me wrong Oz rocks but not better have best of both worlds .

Maybe i'm totally wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

There are no issues with dual citizenship in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Correct. You can hold dual citizenship for Ireland and Australia. I do. Didnt have to do the test in my day though. Maybe they were afraid we couldnt read and write and were afraid to test us just in case.:cool:

I know 2 peeps who just keep renewing the PR and havent taken out citizenship which is madness. Get it if you can although I think its 4 yrs to get it now rather than 2 when I did.

Having to vote is a pain though especially when overseas

Not being argumentative but what’s the advantage of getting Australian citizenship over Permanent Residency

I ask as I’m going to come up against this in the future.

• Advertisement

Ozeire wrote: »
    Not being argumentative but what’s the advantage of getting Australian citizenship over Permanent Residency

I ask as I’m going to come up against this in the future.

A no. of reasons
    certain jobs (government) require citizenship
    PR can be revoked alot easier than citizenship
    Once you have citizenship ,thats it, you are aussie for life. So you can leave for 10 yrs and return no problem. With PR it can get messy with RRV's etc and RRV rules can be changed as and when needed so you may find yourself in a sticky situation especially if you had to leave Aus in a hurry to return home for an emergency
    If you have children it can be benificial to them (not 100% as it doesnt affect me yet).
    Education: again they may change the rules for grants etc and change what a PR is entitled to as against a citizen.

there are others as well but these spring to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Basically there is no disadvantage in being a citizen, as you don't have to give anything up, but there are definitely advantages. For me the main one would be being able to return home and live there for as long as I like and then one day maybe retire to Oz. Who knows, but it certainly gives you alot more options and you don't lose anything.

I know this is really stupid but I hate the thoughts of having to pledging allegiance to the Crown . Not even sure if you have to do that anymore

Ozeire wrote: »
    I know this is really stupid but I hate the thoughts of having to pledging allegiance to the Crown . Not even sure if you have to do that anymore

I certainly didnt. Your pledge is to australia and its people.

Thats ok then wouldn't mind that at all .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

You don't have to swear allegiance to anyone. A mate just got his in Jan, I'll hopefully be doing the same in Jan 2010. All the people I've spoken to who have sat the test have said you do need to study for it. The questions are quite straight-forward but they throw in a few tricky ones with multiple/confusing dates etc. All the Aussie partners of the above mentioned people said they answered 1 or 2 wrong because of this. The pis*-take test which went round the internet a few years back was a hoot! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

i pledge my alleigence to brussels tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

acontadino wrote: »
    i pledge my alleigence to brussels tbh.
    More fool you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

2007 Australian Citizenship Test

1. Do you understand the meaning, but are unable to explain the origin of, the term ‘died in the arse’?

2. What is a “bloody little beauty”?

3. Are these terms related: chuck a sickie; chuck a spaz; chuck a U-ey?

4. Explain the following passage:
    ‘In the arvo last Chrissy the relos rocked up for a Barbie, some bevvies and a few snags.
    After a bit of a Bex and a lie down we opened the pressies, scoffed all the chockies, bickies and lollies.
    Then we drained a few tinnies and Mum did her block after Dad and Steve had a Barney and a bit of biffo.’

5. Macca, Chooka and Wanger are driving to Surfers in their Torana.
    If they are travelling at 100 km/h while listening to Barnsey, Farnsey and Acca Dacca, how many slabs will each person on average consume between flashing a brown eye and having a slash?

6. Complete the following sentences:
    A) ‘If the van’s rockin’ don’t bother ?
    B) You’re going home in the back of a ?
    C) Fair crack of the ?

7. I’ve had a gutful and I can’t be fagged. Discuss

8. Have you ever been on the giving or receiving end of a wedgie?

9. Do you have a friend or relative who has a car in their front yard ‘up on blocks’? Is his name Bruce and does he have a wife called Cheryl?

10. Does your family regularly eat a dish involving mincemeat, cabbage, curry powder and a packet of chicken noodle soup called either chow mein, chop suey or Kai see Ming?

11. What are the ingredients in a rissole?

12. Demonstrate the correct procedure for eating a Tim Tam.

13. Do you have an Aunty Irene who smokes 30 cigarettes a day and sounds like a bloke?

14. In any two-hour period have you ever eaten three-bean salad, a chop and two serves of pav washed down with someone else’s beer that has been flogged from a bath full of ice?

15. When you go to a bring- your-own-meat Barbie can you eat other people’s meat or are you only allowed to eat your own?

16. What purple root vegetable beginning with the letter ‘b’ is required by law to be included in a hamburger with the lot?

17. Do you own or have you ever owned a lawn mower, a pair of thongs, an Esky or Ugg boots?

18. Is it possible to ‘prang a car’ while doing ‘circle work’?

19. Who would you like to crack on to?

20. Who is the most Australian: Kevin ‘Bloody’ Wilson, John ‘True Blue’ Williamson, Kylie Minogue or Warnie?

21. Is there someone you are only mates with because they own a trailer or have a pool?

22. What does “sinkin piss at a mates joint” and “getten para” mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Sammag wrote: »

Dude, the whole thing. LEGEND!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

vinylbomb wrote: »
    Dude, the whole thing. LEGEND!!
    'kin oath!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Sammag wrote: »

19. Who would you like to crack on to?

I reckon this could be edited to include the f*ckin most annoying word in the Australian arsenal...........................'pash' :mad:

And study some gardening/horticulture. My poor plant from my ceremony died a few weeks later (RIP plantty). Thought the poor bugger could survive on his own while I went down to melly for the cup. he didnt. remember plants are for life not just citizenship ceremonies

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭k974

myhorse wrote: »
    Correct. You can hold dual citizenship for Ireland and Australia. I do. Didnt have to do the test in my day though. Maybe they were afraid we couldnt read and write and were afraid to test us just in case.:cool:

I know 2 peeps who just keep renewing the PR and havent taken out citizenship which is madness. Get it if you can although I think its 4 yrs to get it now rather than 2 when I did.

i'm an aussie citizen did the test. its grand 99% that come thru the skilled programme pass first go. just get the booklet and have a read. i got it under the new 4 year rule, but 3 of those 4 can be as a permament resident and thats how i quailified 12months after getting the 175.

just wondering i've yet to be overseas for an election what is the process there?

k974 wrote: »
    i'm an aussie citizen did the test. its grand 99% that come thru the skilled programme pass first go. just get the booklet and have a read. i got it under the new 4 year rule, but 3 of those 4 can be as a permament resident and thats how i quailified 12months after getting the 175.

just wondering i've yet to be overseas for an election what is the process there?
    I already have it but didnt have to do the test in my day. Yeah I came via the PR route and in those days took the 2 yrs to get citizenship.

If overseas you need to ensure you are on the roll (electoral) before you go. They can tell you where to go to vote then. also there is differences if you are overseas for a short or long time as you have to do different forms to submit.
    heres is what you need
    http://www.aec.gov.au/FAQs/Voting_Overseas.htm#osyearmore

can I ask , I am kinda out of the loop now re the 4 yr rule. Were you on a sponsored visa or spouse visa before and that counted before you got the PR (so 3yrs on temp/sponosred visas and 1 on 175?). Sorry for being nosey but its all changed since I did all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭k974

1 yr whv 2yr 457 1yr 175 is i got it the 3 yrs prior to the 175, applis to anybody who becomes a resident after jul 2007 actually speeded up me by 12months.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

myhorse wrote: »

Just be like me and don't register in the first place.

I did my citizenship test this afternoon; you get 45 minutes to do 20 questions, I finished in less than 2 minutes. I got them all right. All I have to do now is fill in a form & they'll never get rid of me! Insert evil laugh here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hehe, congratulations!

I was going to say something re the permanent residency vs. citizenship thing - your residency visa expires when your passport expires and then needs to be renewed. I'm unsure whether or not they review your status on renewal - so for instance if you had a permanent residency partner visa, but split up and divorced before your 10 year passport expired, I'm not sure if the same residency visa would be granted on your replacement passport... I didn't feel it was clear when my permanent residency came through recently.

You have to renew your entry visa every 5 years, I wasn't aware they expired as such, but you would have to get a replacement sticker in your new passport.

Hehe, congratulations!

I was going to say something re the permanent residency vs. citizenship thing - your residency visa expires when your passport expires and then needs to be renewed. I'm unsure whether or not they review your status on renewal - so for instance if you had a permanent residency partner visa, but split up and divorced before your 10 year passport expired, I'm not sure if the same residency visa would be granted on your replacement passport... I didn't feel it was clear when my permanent residency came through recently.

your permanent residency doesnt expire. There is a "do not enter after" date which means if you are outside australia and try to get back in you cant unless you get a RRV.

However if you are in Australia on that date you can stay for ever and ever and ever amen. For ages i carried my old passport with residency sticker and my new passport when travelling overseas. Not an issue. The passport doesnt affect the visa at all. the only thing you have to keep an eye on is the "do not enter after date" .
    The BOFH wrote: »
    You have to renew your entry visa every 5 years, I wasn't aware they expired as such, but you would have to get a replacement sticker in your new passport.
    There is no 5 yr rule on the residency as such. Its just that you have to be in aus five yrs after it was granted (note there is a validation date as well but explained that before) i.e visa granted in 1 jan 2010 your last entry date is 31st Dec 2014. If you are in Aus on the 30th Dec 2014 you dont need a new visa as you are in Aus. If you leave after that date you need a RRV (or obviously citizenship).

well done bofh on the citizenship test. Just dont go commiting any major crimes between now and ceremony

note : all the above relates to permanent residency (except the crime bit that applies to everyone. right kids?)

Advertisement