Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o'connel st.

Options
  • 04-03-2009 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

imagine there is no recession what idealy would you invision o'connell st. to look like? it has so much potential but with the countless londis, spars and arcades it looks crap most of the time.

when the good times come back they should give it some flavour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I think there was plans to ban arcades from O'Connel street, not sure whatever became of them though. TBH I can't see it changing, it would be great if it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

acontadino wrote: »
    imagine there is no recession what idealy would you invision o'connell st. to look like? it has so much potential but with the countless londis, spars and arcades it looks crap most of the time.

when the good times come back they should give it some flavour.

Firstly I would get rid of that monstrosity 'The Spire' and replace is with something that appeals to all people nationally, like a national figure of either art/music/writing. Or something that would be of interest to the public that can be used either as a national / tourist feature that has a viewing platform.

I already like the tree and path arrangements that are already there at present. If I could change anything else, it would be to get rid of the burger bars and fast food restaurants and arcade places and replace them with more suitable business's, like proper cafe's and boutiques.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

merlie wrote: »
    Firstly I would get rid of that monstrosity 'The Spire' and replace is with something that appeals to all people nationally,

:eek:

i like the spire :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

merlie wrote: »
    ...that appeals to all people...
    I think this is your main problem. "You can please some of the people all the ti..." You know the rest. I'm fond of the Spire.
    No matter what changes anyone proposes for O'Connell Street someone else will have a gripe about it.
    I say we cover it over, bury it underground and landscape the surface into a duck pond to replace the one they dug up in Saint Annes Park.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

Good question I would build a massive wall around the area and turn it into a maximum security prison just like in John Carpenter's Escape from New York. But I'd be sure to plan it so that our politicians and developers are shoved in there with the other scumbags to spend the rest of their years with nothing other than Dr Quirkeys and Supermacs for entertainment.

Advertisement