Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study in New Zealand/OZ

Options
  • 04-03-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I know I'm a bit vague with this and I've put it in the studying abroad forum but got nothing back so thought I'd try here. I'm just looking for advice.

I'm going travelling in May for a year (NZ, Oz, Thailand & Fiji/Vietnam along the way hopefully) and someone recently suggested studying abroad. When I got back from travelling I wanted to continue my studies in Environmental Engineering anyway.

So just looking for advice on where to start researching or looking for grants etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Study in Aus or NZ? Oz very very expensive and you are entitled to nothing. Infact you pay overseas student fees. Think you can work for 20 hrs a week though. At the end you are not certain of residency either

Anyhoo heres the link you need
    http://studyinaustralia.gov.au/Sia/en/Home.htm

also before your living expenses kick in you gotta pay for your course
    http://studyinaustralia.gov.au/Sia/en/StudyCosts/TuitionFees.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

That was quick thanks! :D

I see what you mean now when you said very very expensive! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

NZ is also very very expensive if you are a non-resident. Thousands and thousands of dollars more expensive. It's bad enough if you are a resident (Uni is about $6,000 a year for residents, much more for more popular courses) but at least than you can get an interest free loan with years to pay back. If you aren't a resident you have to pay for it all yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

you don't have to pay it back until you're earning either. i know a few people who dropped out of college onto the dole and have yet to pay any of the crazy debt back, and likely never will.

i know tonnes of people here studying, though just about all of them are studying english as a 2nd/whatever number language. duno what the fees are, but hopefully ill be seeing some of them on sunday and can find out a bit if i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Be aware that the academic year there runs (roughly) March - June (semester 1) and July - October (semester 3). Some institutions / courses have a 3rd semester too.

If you're travelling, do you really think you'll want to be committed to studying at the same time? (It's going to have to be correspondence, since you'll be moving around?)

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    Be aware that the academic year there runs (roughly) March - June (semester 1) and July - October (semester 3). Some institutions / courses have a 3rd semester too.

If you're travelling, do you really think you'll want to be committed to studying at the same time? (It's going to have to be correspondence, since you'll be moving around?)

Well I would have come back after my travels to study but its looking like it will be way to exensive for me to even consider tbh.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

hardly worth it tbh.

acontadino wrote: »
    hardly worth it tbh.

Considering what they have told me, no its not really worth it.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm going to go back to uni next year and do a post grad but i just got residency so will get local fees and a student loan. I wouldn't have considered it without the residency though - just too expensive. Sorry we couldn't give you better news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭aiecquest

Formal study is expensive in Australia but many Europeans do the cheaper private TAFE or Vocational study (VET) from AUD2300 per half year..... in marketing/business..... then look at other (more expensive) options onshore....

• Advertisement
Advertisement