Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Further Learning report for the title of MIEI

Options
  • 04-03-2009 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi all,

First off, I am a civil engineer, completed a diploma in ireland, 3 years and then headed for the UK for 2 years to complete my degree.
    I am an associate member of the IEI but to become a full member I have to write a "Further Learning" report as I obtain my degree in a British University.
    The details the IEI provided are pretty sparse as to what they are looking for in the report so I was wondering if anyone had done similar to become a Full member

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭dahamster

JohnHenry wrote: »
    Hi all,

First off, I am a civil engineer, completed a diploma in ireland, 3 years and then headed for the UK for 2 years to complete my degree.
    I am an associate member of the IEI but to become a full member I have to write a "Further Learning" report as I obtain my degree in a British University.
    The details the IEI provided are pretty sparse as to what they are looking for in the report so I was wondering if anyone had done similar to become a Full member

Why not join the british one that recognises your degree immediately and then transfer into the iei under the washington accord.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

I did this.

Think the report was 4000 words. If you've a couple of years under your belt just write a biography of your experience to date, few key projects, skills under your belt. One weekend should do it.

After that you'll be called to interview, in mine they just walked few the first haf dozen pages, talked about things that caught their eye, after a half hour they said "thats grand, off ye go"!

As for the Washington Accord - if you're ultimate aim is to become a Chartered engineer then imo the "Further Learning" obstable at IEI is less stringent than for instance at ICE.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I did this.

Think the report was 4000 words. If you've a couple of years under your belt just write a biography of your experience to date, few key projects, skills under your belt. One weekend should do it.

After that you'll be called to interview, in mine they just walked few the first haf dozen pages, talked about things that caught their eye, after a half hour they said "thats grand, off ye go"!

As for the Washington Accord - if you're ultimate aim is to become a Chartered engineer then imo the "Further Learning" obstable at IEI is less stringent than for instance at ICE.

That sounds like the chatership report

No, it was a "Report to demonstrate experience equivalent to further learning".

In fairness, in a years time I'll be wheeling out the same report with a few tweaks for my CEng report and interview.

Basically if you graduated with a 3-year BEng from the UK after 2003/4, it is impossible to go straight to CEng with experience alone. No matter what profesional body you are allied to, there will be an additional hurdle to jump.

With ICE, you can go for Incorporated Engineer - IEng (basically a mini CEng report and review), then wait another few years and go for CEng - or you do some academic topping up (part time MSc/MEng or PGDip) which would allow you to go for CEng directly.

With IEI you do one of these "Further Learning" reports which grants you MIEI status. Then you're free to go for CEng.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

With ICE, you can go for Incorporated Engineer - IEng (basically a mini CEng report and review), then wait another few years and go for CEng - or you do some academic topping up (part time MSc/MEng or PGDip) which would allow you to go for CEng directly.

How does that work?

• Advertisement

kearnsr wrote: »
    How does that work?

With ICE, you can go for IEng after 4/5 years. Basicaly involves a full review; experience report, project report, interview, exam. If you pass, after (I think) about another 2 years you can then go for CEng (another full review). Two former colleagues are taking this route but it means the earliest you can go for CEng is approx 7-years. Additional difficulty, certainly in UK practices, is that the IEng grade (being a fairly new grade in it's current form) isn't really recognised in terms of a step up in pay packet, whereas with CEng you're immediately expecting a good solid pat on the back....

Alternatively you do the further learning to "top up" your degree to an equivalent of an MEng so you can go for CEng.

With IEI you can do the further learning report as discussed on this thread after 2/3yrs experience, and you're then able to go for CEng directly - so you can achieve it in 5yrs. IMO far preferable, and once you have CEng you can automatically join the ICE at a chartered grade.

Has to be said though that most Irish college engineering degrees are eligible to go straight for CEng in any case, aren't a lot of them 4-years? QUB and UUJ 3yr degrees are the only difficulties.

With ICE, you can go for IEng after 4/5 years. Basicaly involves a full review; experience report, project report, interview, exam. If you pass, after (I think) about another 2 years you can then go for CEng (another full review). Two former colleagues are taking this route but it means the earliest you can go for CEng is approx 7-years. Additional difficulty, certainly in UK practices, is that the IEng grade (being a fairly new grade in it's current form) isn't really recognised in terms of a step up in pay packet, whereas with CEng you're immediately expecting a good solid pat on the back....

Alternatively you do the further learning to "top up" your degree to an equivalent of an MEng so you can go for CEng.

With IEI you can do the further learning report as discussed on this thread after 2/3yrs experience, and you're then able to go for CEng directly - so you can achieve it in 5yrs. IMO far preferable, and once you have CEng you can automatically join the ICE at a chartered grade.

Has to be said though that most Irish college engineering degrees are eligible to go straight for CEng in any case, aren't a lot of them 4-years? QUB and UUJ 3yr degrees are the only difficulties.

It is my undertaking that UK and Irish CEng process are more or less the same. If I wanted I could do my Irish CEng process and transfer to UK if I wanted to and vise versa. The UK process is much more difficult as far as I'm aware and alot of English Engineers working here do the IEI CENg review and transfer when they go home

It is my undertaking that UK and Irish CEng process are more or less the same. If I wanted I could do my Irish CEng process and transfer to UK if I wanted to and vise versa. The UK process is much more difficult as far as I'm aware and alot of English Engineers working here do the IEI CENg review and transfer when they go home

Absolutely - I left ICE to do mine with IEI.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭JohnHenry

Cheers Aquascrotum,
    Thats exactly what i needed to hear.
    The IEI are basically looking for a beefed up CV report. I must try and bring myself around to doing it now, what a pain in the ass!!!

JohnHenry wrote: »
    Cheers Aquascrotum,
    Thats exactly what i needed to hear.
    The IEI are basically looking for a beefed up CV report. I must try and bring myself around to doing it now, what a pain in the ass!!!

how long does it have to be?

• Advertisement

how long does it have to be?

Circa 3-4000 words off the top of my head.

Circa 3-4000 words off the top of my head.

Thats nothing if you have been working for awhile

Straight out of college can seem like a big thing.

Most important thing to do is ask some one to read over it

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Iam the scat man

Did you ever complete this report

Advertisement