Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ye can Have Boland !!!!!!

Options
  • 04-03-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I know this is a long shot, but would anyone know where I could listen/download Patrick Hillery's famous rant at the 1971 Ard Fheis

"Ye can have Boland, but ye can't have Fianna Fáil.
    Ye can have him, you're welcome to him, you're welcome to him.
    It takes more than that to frighten Jack Lynch."

I have searched the internet but just can't find it. The speech is there but I would like to hear it.

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It was definitely in the relevant episode of Reeling in the Years, well the bit you quoted was anyway.

Not sure if RTE are selling them on dvd yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

It's in the 'Seven Ages' set too, near the end of the 1960s episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Don't know the Seven Ages collection but it happened at the 1971 FF Ard Fheis and Boland was a reference to the Arms Trial the previous year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

you could always check out charlie haughey's dvd that rte did on him. just reading jack lynch's book probably get hilliary's next. bloody explosive stuff that ard fheis was - very high emotions there, i'd say unfortunately the unionists and uk did not know whether to laugh or cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

claw14 wrote: »
    I know this is a long shot, but would anyone know where I could listen/download Patrick Hillery's famous rant at the 1971 Ard Fheis

"Ye can have Boland, but ye can't have Fianna Fáil.
    Ye can have him, you're welcome to him, you're welcome to him.
    It takes more than that to frighten Jack Lynch."

I have searched the internet but just can't find it. The speech is there but I would like to hear it.

Thanks all

Check out the news coverage on the day he died last May I think. Biographies on his life will surely have that part.

• Advertisement
Advertisement