Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshop: Engraved effect?

Options
  • 04-03-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a way to make the gravestone below look engraved in photoshop. I want to have a few different statistics written on it but am a photoshop noob for the most part.

gravestone.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭aineolach

I don't use photoshop so I don't know how simple this tutorial is but it looks fairly straight forward: http://www.moesrealm.com/photoshop/engraving.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Layer styles. Specificially emboss and inner shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

womantomb.jpg

What you guys think? I'm not too sure about the Rest in Peace at the bottom but I don't think it's terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You're going to have to skew (not sure of my terminology is right) it a bit to get the angles right first of all.

And pick a better shadow pattern. That one just looks cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Sean_K wrote: »
    You're going to have to skew (not sure of my terminology is right) it a bit to get the angles right first of all.

And pick a better shadow pattern. That one just looks cloudy.

Any suggestions on which shadow pattern to use as I've said i'm pretty much a complete noob at photoshoping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

shoutman wrote: »
    Any suggestions on which shadow pattern to use as I've said i'm pretty much a complete noob at photoshoping.

To be honest I don't know much about photoshop myself. If you look at tombstones on google image search, you might get an idea of the type of pattern you're looking for.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You need to free transform the lower test, but I think you'll have to rasterise the type layer first.

Regarding the text itself you may have over done it slightly and used too large an emboss size. Each letter doesn't look individually chisseled. Its a really great start, it just needs tweaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭aineolach

I found this tutorial really good but that's for GIMP.

I used it to chisel my hero into the Wellington Monument...
    monument.png

Another photoshop tutorial you could try that seemed easy enough was this one from worth1000.

Overall I'd suggest trying a couple of tutorials until you find a method that is easy for you and gets the desired result. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

That looks really believable aineolach! Well done.

Advertisement