Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP Homebrew

Options
  • 04-03-2009 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I want to get a PSP that works with homebrew, but I'm a little confused. If I buy a brand new PSP tomorrow, I get the feeling that I won't be able to 'mod' it immediately, and I'd be better off getting one of the old 'phat' ones or the slim-2000 series?

Once I've got that, the easiest thing appears to be getting one of these pandora batteries. Has anyone had issue with customs when it comes to shipments from Hong Kong?

I then need to get a memory stick, anything up to 32gig? I can turn that into a MMS via instructions elsewhere on this forum, so that's seems easy enough.

Having done all that then, I have a slim PSP, a slim PSP battery, a Pandora battery and at least 1 stick. Do I have to leave the memory stick as 'magic' after downgrading - should I leave as is and use a separate memory stick for my game saves, etc? Is the normal PSP battery now useless? Or can I use it as a battery for the PSP and forgo the ability to use homebrew? The FW version is tied to the PSP itself (not the memory stick or anything) so is it the case that I can only use the magic memory stick AND the pandora battery going forward? Or is it the case that once I've downgraded, I can use either battery and only need the Pandora if I have to unbrick or downgrade again?

Finally, what happens if I buy a new game and it requires a new FW update (as Sony products tend to do)?

Sorry for all the noobie questions, but any FAQs I've found seem to start with people knowing what they want, and most of them are for people who are not buying their first PSP tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

If you were to buy a new PSP in the shops today, it would be unmoddable. The only way to mod a PSP at present is to buy/find an older Phat PSP (PSP-1000 series) or Slim PSP (original PSP-2000). The end of line PSP-2000 and PSP-3000 are unmoddable.

Never heard of anyone on these forums having any issues with customs with orders form DealExtreme.

After you have installed CFW on your PSP, you can format the Memory Stick and use it as normal again as the CFW is installed to the FW RAM on the PSP device itself. The Pandora battery can either be converted to regular battery or left as is depending on your needs. In both states, the Pandora Battery will charge and power your PSP as normal if you are on the newest CFW version.

If you buy a new UMD game and it requires a newer Sony FW version, you can update it either manually by downloading the update from Dark_Alex website or if on newer CFW, by updating through the "Network Update" function in the PSP XMB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Just as a matter of interest, in order to do this, is the least I'll have to get:

* PSP Phat (1000 series)
    * up to 32 gig memory card
    * USB cable (which doesn't seem to come as std with the PSP Phat?)

Is that enough to get going with? I'm aware of the 'dangers' of bricking, etc, but all going well, I don't need a spare battery pack or memory stick or anything like that, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

corblimey wrote: »
    * up to 32 gig memory card

Good luck with that!! To be honest, 4 gig is plenty. Psp1000 is safest bet since you will be able to mod it, but if I were you I'd try my best to get a hackable psp2000. Its a much nicer model

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I thought about that, animax, but I'd still need to get a phat battery pack or buy a separate pandora battery. Also not all 2000's can be downgraded? Unless the forums posts I'm reading are out of date and it's all under control? If I could get one of the old ones (and tbh it's looking increasingly unlikely that I will get one in any decent sort of shape) then problem solved. Thanks for the tip on the memory stick, I have no idea how much space I'll need for save games and homebrew...

Have a look on adverts.ie for a used psp slim. Sometimes the seller might hint that it already has custom firmware installed (even though its not permitted on adverts!). Here for example http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=98678&cat=all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Just homebrewed my psp1000 thats been sitting on my shelf for the past two years. I used Lumines and a youtube video guide to do it. I've got about 8 emulators on it now and a few thousand roms and i love it!

All my emulators run good and fast except the snes9xTYL. Anyone have any good alternatives? I'm running 3.52 M33-4

m83 wrote: »
    All my emulators run good and fast except the snes9xTYL. Anyone have any good alternatives? I'm running 3.52 M33-4

Provided you have the latest version of snes9x-TYL, then there is no better alternative. You can get fullspeed on most snes roms by fiddling with the settings. Make sure psp is clocked at 333mhz, add some frameskip is necessary, lower sound quality to boost speed etc

You could probably update to 5.00M33 while you're at it. Its really easy. Check out dark-alex.org for newest firmware version. (This will make no difference to the emu though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

No more discussion of roms please lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

are you sure about the end of line PSP-2000 ?

im just after ordering this

http://www.sendit.com/sendit/9995941.product

edit: i have canceled this it wont be worth the risk.

does anyone know a retail store in dublin that is still selling the psp 2000 ? i have read on a forum what to look for when buying the device so i know it will hackable

Advertisement