Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Sat Nav

• 04-03-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has being covered already but i am in the market for a Sat Nav and would like to know which make and model to go for.

Budget 100-150 euros

Ireland maps enough for now

Was looking along the lines of a Garmin.

Any opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Garmin Nuvi 255 would be a good bet, it has all of Europe and costs Eur 124 in www.elara.ie you pick up from Parkwest so no shipping costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

coylemj wrote: »
    Garmin Nuvi 255 would be a good bet, it has all of Europe and costs Eur 124 in www.elara.ie you pick up from Parkwest so no shipping costs.

Thanks Coylem. Elara were out of stock so i ordered the 250 model from pixmania

99 euros + 10 for P&P...not bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Have you tried www.newsatnav.com ? it helps you choose
    Pick the features you'd like and it lists them by price, handy site, Irish too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭mondeo

T-Square wrote: »
    Have you tried www.newsatnav.com ? it helps you choose
    Pick the features you'd like and it lists them by price, handy site, Irish too.

That site is the most expensive Irish site there is to buy a satnav..Everywhere else is cheaper by far

They don't sell anything, I think it's a recommendation site, it's very basic

[edit] just had a quick look, there's no pricing on that site, where did you see a price?www.newsatnav.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

steps_3314 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has being covered already but i am in the market for a Sat Nav and would like to know which make and model to go for.

Budget 100-150 euros

Cheers

you wont beat this .....
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2022604/art/airis/t945weu-gps-for-europe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Medion GoPal E3230 in Aldi on Sunday for €145.

I will be using it only when I go to the UK. Does anyone know if you can input the full UK postal code (all 7 digits) into it ? I find this much handier than having to key in the address.

I had one, but my daughter swiped it.

I can't find out if this Aldi offer will accept the full postal code as input for the destination.
    -Thanks

steps_3314 wrote: »

Budget 100-150 euros

Cheers
    Would you prefer Garmin over other models?
    and in second position, the non-Garmin, non-TomTom stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I just posted a thread in the Bargain Alerts section for the Garmin 215 with Ireland/UK maps and it also has Bluetooth.

I bought it from Memoryc.com, a good deal at €135 (incl delivery) with the promo code.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055523725

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joctcl

I have Gamin 250W it was well worth the extra few quid for the wider version. Don't forget that like Dell Printers and cartridges Garmin need updates and they aren't cheap. €79 for a single update 12-18 months, I paid €118 a couple of months ago for unlimited updates. Even though Sat Nav is getting cjeaper by the day worth using security setting on them in case they are nicked as my first 18 months ago.
    Also don't save "home" to them as thieves will know where you live and got straight around there after stealing it from your car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

I'm looking at getting a new sat-nav, and given that I'm heading to the US shortly, figured I'd pick one with US maps -- looking around, I see Garmin has the 775T, and TomTom has the 930T. Are there any others that anybody would recommend? Given these two, which would you pick? In the past, I've had an older Garmin (310), but have played around with TomToms (I forget the model number) as well, and both seem fairly equivalent -- except that the Garmin had a much better car-kit that meant you didn't wear out the suction cup as quickly taking it in and out of the car.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kennethlarkin

When you look at the good Brands such as Garmin and Tomtom. They all pretty much do the same actions. Navigation wise I mean except for a few bells and whistles.

I personally went for a refurbished mode. Like the ones in the links below.

I go the Nuvi 200 and the Nuvi 2000w. Navigation side of things A - B very good. Only action I really wanted it to do. For under a 100 note and under 90. Coming with a 1 year warranty same as new item. Sweet deal, for people on a budget may be a good starting point in to the GPS world. For less then 90 notes and a working GPS. Easy to live with but if you go for a model that is 200, 300 notes upwards. Would want to be sure you need it and will us it. Food for thought. Never though of a refurbished model. All ways went new but was very pleased

http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/Garmin_Nuvi_200_3_5-GPS_with_UK_Ireland_maps-REFURBISHED_/index.html
    http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/Garmin_Nuvi_200W_Widescreen_4_3-GPS_with_UK_Ireland_maps-REFURBISHED_/index.html

Advertisement