Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Music

• 04-03-2009 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey, i've recently gotten into electronic and computerised music, and am looking to get into making some original material. Unfortunatley i cant afford the equipment. I was wodering if anyone could suggest any online alternatives to say, the Roland TR-808/909 OR the tb-303 and any other synth programes, or samplers.
    Any help would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Entec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Could I add to that and ask...

What is the typical set up for someone who uses only their computer for producing this music?

Obvioulsy the products above - but is there anything else you'd need to use to bring it all together?

It's been a long time since I've done anything myself and it seems a lot has changed since I last played around!

Thanks
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Rebirth is available as a free download from http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/
    It includes an emulated 808, 909 and 2x tb303s, so well worth checking out if you just want to have a play around and make some noise.

You'd be hard pressed to make a complete, fresh sounding track with just that, but it's a decent starting point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭L.R. Weizel

tman wrote: »
    It includes an emulated 808, 909 and 2x tb303s, so well worth checking out if you just want to have a play around and make some noise.

You'd be hard pressed to make a complete, fresh sounding track with just that, but it's a decent starting point

That sounds awesome thanks. Are they SF2s or VSTs or what? Can they be used with Modplug?

That sounds awesome thanks. Are they SF2s or VSTs or what? Can they be used with Modplug?

It's a standalone program, but can be rewired to reason iirc.

• Advertisement

Hi Tman

Thanks for that - I've used this in the past and other similar programs - but really looking for a half decent set up without the hardware to really put something together.

Is it even possible?? I'm just assuming it is.

Thanks
    Tom

Well first and foremost you would need to decide on what to use as a sequencer.
    Ableton seems quite easy to pick up, but Cubase (or Logic if you use a mac) are more professionally respected... (but also harder to learn)
    After that you might want to get a few sample packs for percussion, and decide on what kind of synths you want to use and get the relevant VSTs (Korg Polysix and Sylenth are my 2 favourites at the moment, but that's down to personal taste)

I'm sure others will have more relevant advice though, I'm just a newbie to most of this as well...

Well first and foremost you would need to decide on what to use as a sequencer.
    Ableton seems quite easy to pick up, but Cubase (or Logic if you use a mac) are more professionally respected... (but also harder to learn)
    After that you might want to get a few sample packs for percussion, and decide on what kind of synths you want to use and get the relevant VSTs (Korg Polysix and Sylenth are my 2 favourites at the moment, but that's down to personal taste)

I'm sure others will have more relevant advice though, I'm just a newbie to most of this as well...

Ok cool thanks for that. I have used cubase in the past, so I'm familiar with that.

Thanks for the help!
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭synd

Ableton did it for me -

Id heard great things about cubase and reason but when I tried them out I wasn't too impressed.

Probably going to get cyber lynched by all the traditionalists now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lukasz.

hello,well seeing as you have mentioned the likes of the 909,808,and 303 etc etc.i would recommend the "Rebirth package,as far as i know it could be freeware,im not sure though.

correct me if im wrong,but i think that runs through Reason.

i dont use software to make music,but i know a couple of things about software,just general stuff.

Ableton is amzing through,id recommend that....

• Advertisement
Advertisement