Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeast in Guiness

Options
  • 04-03-2009 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Anyone know how much yeast is left in the Guiness end product. I am trying to avoid yeast and was told Guinness might be ok to drink?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

As far as I know they stopped bottle conditioning in the 90's, their keg and cans beers (probably all) are filtered , not sure if they are sterile filtered

between filtering and finning there would be feck all left

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah, should be only traces, probably way more in a few crumbs of bread than a pint. I think some rare variety might be bottle conditioned, I remember people talking of using it for brewing their own stout, but that might be long finished, it was never on sale officially in Ireland IIRC.

I think some beers are filtered more than others, becks vier looks exceptionally clear to me, and erdinger kristal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    I think some rare variety might be bottle conditioned, I remember people talking of using it for brewing their own stout, but that might be long finished, it was never on sale officially in Ireland IIRC.
    Guinness Special Export isn't bottle-conditioned. I'm not even sure if it ever was. It's the best thing Diageo make, IMO, and well worth buying if you see it. Especially in Belgium where it's about €1 a bottle :)

Culturing the yeast from bottled Guinness Extra Stout was common practice among Irish home brewers until about 2000, I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BeerNut wrote: »
    Culturing the yeast from bottled Guinness Extra Stout was common practice among Irish home brewers until about 2000, I'm told.
    I think I also heard it might not really be the best, i.e. people presumed it might be the guinness yeast used to brew the beer. But I think guinness or maybe some other breweries used to filter and then add a different yeast in for the bottle conditioning stage. I think I read it in those free homebrew magazines/papers that you used to get in easons in the good old days.

rubadub wrote: »
    I think I also heard it might not really be the best, i.e. people presumed it might be the guinness yeast used to brew the beer. But I think guinness or maybe some other breweries used to filter and then add a different yeast in for the bottle conditioning stage. I think I read it in those free homebrew magazines/papers that you used to get in easons in the good old days.

Sinebrychoff Brewery cultured their yeast from a bottle of Guinness for their porter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lar84

Thanks for the comments, I was told draught beer was worse than bottled beer. I can tell after a couple of drinks whether it affects me or not, heineken dosent agree with me anyway. Ill try Guiness he wkend and see what happens!!

To be honest most of the bad par the yeast get is the crap used in your generic sliced pan. These yeast are selected for super CO2 production and its seam some people have problems with them.

But always take the advice of your doctor over some one opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

oblivious wrote: »
    As far as I know they stopped bottle conditioning in the 90's, their keg and cans beers (probably all) are filtered , not sure if they are sterile filtered

between filtering and finning there would be feck all left

Centerfuge/Fining/Centerfuge

Advertisement