Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build timber frame options

Options
  • 04-03-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi all

In a few months it seems I'm likely not to have much work, so am changing my plans from paying someone to build our 135m (around 1400 sq ft I think)house, to building it ourselves. With a budget of less than €80,000, I hope to be able to build a good ecohome. Doesn't have to be too fancy inside. I expect I will be reading and posting on here more often. seems like a great rescource.

I'm only at the research stage, so am reading whatever I can find. A friend said he priced timebr for his house and reckons €10,000 would do a build of over 2000 sq ft. A timber frame company would charge over€50,000 for this, so theres the potential of lots of saving. I don't have loads of experience in this yet. I've helped put down a number of decks, n done a few bits n bobs but reckon I can pick things up quickly. I will have friends and family who know lots more than me to help answer questions and practicalitys

Any help would be appreciated in focusing my study time for this. I'm wondering how I get a frame design. Do I need to hire a structural engineer, or work out a frame from the standard material sizes then show it to someone. There may be programmes like sketch up that could design the frame?

I am also unsure of what material I will use for the exterior. I'd like to use as little cement and concrete as possible, and so don't want typical block work. Options seem to be, wattle and daub (which my friend is using)- lots of work. Clay straw blocks- lots of work again. Hemp and lime- seem to be best when used with that spray gun, which is not a beginner job. wood shuttering- I don't like the fully wooden look though. Possibly just wood, such as osb or marine ply and plaster over it. I'd like to use some kind of lime or earth plaster, but I don't know if that would be very solid, just being attached to wood.

We are thinking of using sheeps wool as insulation. Very affordable as farmers are giving it away. A fair bit of work in it though, charding it, and treating it with borax.

I appreciate any idea's or dirrections to research in

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

There are a number of timber frame options available - ie erect bare frame to erect fully insulated factory frame including service ducts and windows & doors!

It will be tough going but if you are prepared to work hard anything is possible. I'll send a PM of a kit worth considering, which is easy to diy upgrade to "passive" standard!

Good luck with the build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

RKQ wrote: »
    There are a number of timber frame options available - ie erect bare frame to erect fully insulated factory frame including service ducts and windows & doors!

It will be tough going but if you are prepared to work hard anything is possible. I'll send a PM of a kit worth considering, which is easy to diy upgrade to "passive" standard!

Hi RKQ
    could you PM me the kit details too please?
    I would have an interest in it.
    Cheers
    S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

PM sent spadder.... by the way I've have no connection to this Company. Just saw the product, asked lots of questions and was very impressed with the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭patjunfa

Thanks for that. I'll contact them and see what they say

I found a program
    http://www.zdnetasia.com/downloads/pc/swinfo/0,39043130,39112353s-50002542r,00.htm
    Apparently I can design a timber frame with this. I'm going to play with this and Google sketchup- a brilliant and free design program.

I still need to decide on a material for the outside. I'll post as I get stuck into it or with questions as the idea develops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭freebird23

Hi RKQ
    I would have an interest in it.
    Cheers

what he said. im looking to do a self build also. looking for company to supply frames.
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭willbur

RKQ wrote: »

RKQO can u pm me the info as well regards willbur

• Registered Users Posts: 32 scuzz

Hi RKQ,
    I am hoping to do a stickbuild
    Thanks in advance

Advertisement