Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTS 250

Options
  • 04-03-2009 3:53pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, heres the deal. New Nvidia card out next week. Sound interesting? Maybe.

The interesting bit? Its a rebranded 9800gtx+. But wait! The 9800gtx+ was a rebranded 8800GTS! So... yeah. Essentially a rebranded G92 card. It does enrage me somewhat.

But the upside? Its got higher clock frequencies than the 9800gtx+, theres less power consumption and its nearly 2 inches shorter in length, and requires only 1 6-pin connector on it. Prices are looking at around 120 euro for the 512mb one and 140 for the 1GB version.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=17411

Whats your view on that? Recession saving indeed. But the price is quite nice for what you're given. Enticing for mid range buyers, except the whole rebranding thing does put me off a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

But the upside? Its got higher clock frequencies than the 9800gtx+, theres less power consumption and its nearly 2 inches shorter in length, and requires only 1 6-pin connector on it. Prices are looking at around 120 euro for the 512mb one and 140 for the 1GB version.

Bear in mind according to anandtech: only the 1gig versions of the 250 are on the new process, the older 512mb versions can be simply a rebranded 9800GTX+

"The new board design isn't required for the 512MB cards unfortunately, so chances are that those cards will just be rebranded 9800 GTX+s. "

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3523

EDIT: overall a marketing trick to entice buyers to buy old stock. Still at least there are size/power savings on the 55nm process cards which would not be too shabby for budget systems with low power PSUs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You see, the price entices me the most. just read that palit are releasing a 2gb version too

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You see, the price entices me the most. just read that palit are releasing a 2gb version too
    It more than likely wouldn't be powerful enough to put that extra GB to any use.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

well it seems in certain cases it can be used effectively. the 2gb certainly picks it up on extremely high res!

http://www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gts-250-2048mb-review-test/15

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

well it seems in certain cases it can be used effectively. the 2gb certainly picks it up on extremely high res!

http://www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gts-250-2048mb-review-test/15
    They really should have put a 1GB version in that test as well. The 1GB version could be close or slightly better than the 2GB version (similar to the 512MB and 1GB 8800GT).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah they've pitted it against 512mb models, naturally at 2560x1600 512mb cards are gonna run out of memory and plunge in performance - I'm pretty sure if you put even a 1gb 4850 in there, it would come close to matching the 2gb GTS250. It's the same for any card, compare a 512mb 4870 vs 1gb 4870 at 2560x1600 and you'd still get the same result. The 2GB is still just a marketing ploy - review seems a bit dodgy that they are comparing such cards, even if the 512/1GB model are priced in the bands of those those cards, the 2gb model will probably cost a sum totally disproportionate to its performance. They've been shipping 2GB cards since before the 9600GT...

Will be keeping a close eye on the GTS250 though. The 1GB model could be a keeper. 512mb model unless it's incredibly well priced (as in, somewhat close to HD4670 prices)....not so much.

edit: In fact compare it here to the 1GB EVGA model, and the 2GB Palit seems to be slower. Even though the Palit based system seems to have an generally superior test setup up spec. Not surprisingly and to be expected.

May I also point out that basically here, the Nvidia 8, 9 and 240/250 (and the new GT100-130's too apparently) are all based on one architecture, the G92/G92+ chips. Consider they're in direct competition with ATI, who have a new architecture in their cards every generation, yet Nvidia is still able to hold its own at the mid-price market.

The GTS 250 is just an overclocked 9800gtx+, which is no bad thing, but at a lower price, in direct competition with ATI's 4850. Nvidia are probably saving a bucketload as a result, but I dont see why it should be as highly priced as it is for what is essentially 3 year old technology.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

but I dont see why it should be as highly priced as it is for what is essentially 3 year old technology

... So nVidia can run around laughing and shouting "SUCKAS!!1!"? :rolleyes:

And AFAIK the GTS250 1GB is not any faster than the 9800GTX+, there does seem to be a slew of OCd models making the rounds on review sites though... nVidia ordering their partners to muddy the waters even further I presume? :o See how easy it is to be mislead by these practices? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

so would swapping 2 8800GT's for 2 250's be a good or bad move ? also is the 250 better or worse than the 4850

i assume you have the 8800GTs in sli. If so, keep them! the gts 250 is being compared to upped 8800gts, so theres your answer. not as good as the 4870, but pretty good value for the initial prices that are going on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

It seems the GTS 250s are generally 10-20 euro dearer than a 9800GTX+ with identical clock frequencies - would there be any reason not to buy a 9800GTX+ instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Polar101 wrote: »
    It seems the GTS 250s are generally 10-20 euro dearer than a 9800GTX+ with identical clock frequencies - would there be any reason not to buy a 9800GTX+ instead?

Isn't a cooler name reason enough for you?? Some people, never pleased! :cool:

i'm rather disappointed with the prices on dabs and komplett, though overclockers prices are much more reasonable

Isn't a cooler name reason enough for you?? Some people, never pleased! :cool:

GTX is a much cooler name than GTS. Also 9800 is better than 250 and don't forget about the + at the end of the 9800GTX+ which means it's at least a billion times more powerful than any card without a plus.

Advertisement