Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Final Decision

• 04-03-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

have made all the decision i need for a self build, but stuck on one issue...heating!!

options are:

1. Air to Water with Rads & Insert Stove Back Boiler

or

2. Oil & Solar Panels

House is 3300sq ft incorporating airtightness and HRV. Concerned of the cost of running air to water, and would i be better with UFH heating with air to water. I work shifts though so need the house to be hot at various hours...ie 5am or 10pm or whatever

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

1922 wrote: »
    have made all the decision i need for a self build, but stuck on one issue...heating!!

options are:

1. Air to Water with Rads & Insert Stove Back Boiler

or

2. Oil & Solar Panels

House is 3300sq ft incorporating airtightness and HRV. Concerned of the cost of running air to water, and would i be better with UFH heating with air to water. I work shifts though so need the house to be hot at various hours...ie 5am or 10pm or whatever

increase insulation and air tightness to passive levels...

incorporate MHRV system with small electrical heating element for back-up heating...

no water based heating system required.....

solar panels with PV fed immersion as domestic water heating.... with large buffer tank and trombe wall heat dump....

sorted!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

sydthebeat wrote: »
    increase insulation and air tightness to passive levels...

Would you need to be going as far as rendering the external wall surface to achieve this level of insulation/air tightness? Would 60ml PIR/100ml cavity/insulated internal walls/air tightness membrane cut it?

OP I'm in the same boat as you. My concerns are the running cost of the Air to Water pump, and the fact that the MHRV would really need to be running 24/7 (which scares me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Would you need to be going as far as rendering the external wall surface to achieve this level of insulation/air tightness? Would 60ml PIR/100ml cavity/insulated internal walls/air tightness membrane cut it?

OP I'm in the same boat as you. My concerns are the running cost of the Air to Water pump, and the fact that the MHRV would really need to be running 24/7 (which scares me)

When looking at air tightness - you are looking at keeping the internal heated air IN the heated space . So it is mistaken thinking to ask about the external render ( with respect)

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,18749,en.pdf

Dont be scared by HRV on 24/7 . It will save more heat (€) energy than it costs to run

And , as posted in another thread - look at passive house - you won't need a heat pump or boiler at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

sinnerboy wrote: »
    When looking at air tightness - you are looking at keeping the internal heated air IN the heated space . So it is mistaken thinking to ask about the external render ( with respect)

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,18749,en.pdf

Dont be scared by HRV on 24/7 . It will save more heat (€) energy than it costs to run

And , as posted in another thread - look at passive house - you won't need a heat pump or boiler at all

Thats a great PDF there sinnerboy. Looks like my PM is going to up late at nights with the reading light on :D

Advertisement