Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about line drawing tattoos

Options
  • 04-03-2009 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all

I hope someone can advise me on this.

I am considering getting a line drawing version of this image: http://fc38.deviantart.com/fs31/f/2008/227/0/0/Flaming_Card_Tattoo_by_xXxKittySorceressxXx.jpg

It would be customised somewhat, but that's the general idea. It will be on the inside of my forearm.

I want to get it in black as I do not like colour tattoos. Also, I will be getting it in a line drawing style, as I like the look of Mara Salvatrucha style tattoos.

So... I guess my question is:

Is there anything I need to be aware of when getting a line tattoo? For example, do they require more touching up due to broken lines being more visible?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

PS This will be my first tattoo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Also, if you can recommend someone who would be able to do this perfectly. I do not mind travelling, and I do not mind paying. :)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

AARRRGH wrote: »

I want to get it in black as I do not like colour tattoos. Also, I will be getting it in a line drawing style, as I like the look of Mara Salvatrucha style tattoos.

MS-13? The Brazilian favela gang? Dont they mainly have prison tats or am I taking you up wrong here?
    The tattoo itself, if you're just basically looking for an outline any reputable studio in Dublin should be able to fulfill your needs. I'd personally recommend Snakebite and Zulu as I've had work done there in recent times.
    You shouldnt rule out colour in your tattoo consider it as colour tattoos are awesome, I used to be all about the black and grey but since seeing whats out there, tattoo wise, I'll pretty much always go colour from now on.....apart from portraits.
    Even if you do still stick with the outline idea, make sure to put in shading etc or if your tat turns out how I'm imagining it, it will look flat and gammy. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Yep, MS-13. I like the simplicity and aggression of their tattoos.

Thanks for the reply. I will probably stick with non-colour, but your advice for shading is sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

If you're planning to get that exact design I would ask the person who drew it for permission, or at least just to let them know that you are altering it, it's the nice thing to do, particularly when the Deviant Art description states the tattoo was designed for a particular person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Yep, MS-13. I like the simplicity and aggression of their tattoos.

Thanks for the reply. I will probably stick with non-colour, but your advice for shading is sound.

Thats a new one to me anyway. If you want gang-style ink why not google up The Latin Kings, 18th Street or San Fer for a wider inspiration.
    For an indication as to what your tattoo will most likely look like as Black and grey open it in Photoshop and remove the colour. Images>>Image type>>Black and grey......I think thats the path anyway.

• Advertisement

Gauge wrote: »
    If you're planning to get that exact design...

Yeah, as I said, that picture was just the general idea of what I'm getting.

Advertisement